Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 March 2012
Let me take you back in time, to when Pete Wylie and the Mighty Wah were making wonderful music out of Liverpool. Then throw in a bit of Mike Peters and The Alarm at their very raw, passionate best. Stir in some of the pomp and drama of more recent Muse, and top it all off with a voice that has a cutting edge like broken glass, that swoops and soars and holds notes w-a-a-a-y longer than they were meant to be held by a rock singer. And what you end up with is the amazingly good second album by Liverpool band Sound of Guns. I love it when you stumble upon a band you've never heard before and, from just the short snatches you get on the Amazon MP3 preview, you realise this is Something A Bit Special. My favourite album of the year so far. A stormer. Buy it.
on 3 December 2014
I'd never heard of the Sound of Guns until I came across their video for 'Sometimes' which is the stand out track of this album in my view. This is indie rock, and for those who appreciate that genre, I can wholly understand the rave reviews. For me, I have to say I like it but apart from that track, despite several listens, this album didn't quite get me going, probably because I'm an older more traditional rock fan at heart and also because most of the the songs are not quite distinctive enough in themselves. Even so, on the strength of 'Sometimes' I was persuaded to buy this album.

Incidentally, the highly attractive lead actress playing the captured girl in the 'Sometimes' video is, I believe, a model called Laura J Ahmet. All I can say is that anyone who agrees to partake in a shoot whereby you get naked in a freezing barn/farm outhouse in the middle of winter and have a bucket of water thrown over you must either be entirely professionally dedicated or else completely mad! That said, it does make for arresting viewing.
on 25 October 2014
This is a really great indie rock album, the sort of album that would have sold shedloads in the late 90s but is criminally overlooked these days. Their first album was good but this steps it up a notch with some great guitar anthems. If you like groups such as Colt 45, The Plea, Canterbury or Electric River, you'll love this. Best track; The Whites Of Your Eyes.
on 15 October 2012
Downloaded this after hearing the first track used as background on a youtube video: Martyn Ashton's Road Bike Party. A match made in heaven: both make you feel like you should get off your **se and do more with your life !
on 5 March 2012
The first album was amazing and difficult to top, I still listen to it all the time the songs never get old and from listening to this I think this albums going to be the same, great 2nd album can't wait to see them live
on 20 December 2012
I stumbled across this as the first track is usd as backing in a Youtube video of stunt cycling. I bought the album and I'm listening to it all the time. lots of good tracks.
on 8 February 2016
I really like this album - knocked one star off as the production quality could be better. Martin Ashton's Bike Party film introduced me to Sound of Guns. Thanks Martin!
on 12 December 2012
I Think this album is fantastic and would recommened to anyone who likes rock to purchase it. Thanks to amazon for an easy download.
on 7 May 2014
I am really pleased with this album and the price was excellent love listening to this in the car, great album
on 31 December 2014
Outstanding - One of my favorite albums, really powerful, great driving album.