on 27 March 2017
I have been looking for a hutch which would accommodate my tortoise. There seem to be none tailor made for that purpose, but many people seem to use one of these, or one from other sources which seem to be built to the same pattern, for their tortoises, so I thought I'd try it. The door seemed to be a bit narrow for my tortoise, but I thought I'd get one and if necessary I'd modify it; much easier than building one from scratch.

The house is pretty easy to put together. The sides, front and back simply bolt together. Impossible to go wrong.
The roof is a bit harder as there are no markings for the screws for the hinges, but with a little bit of common sense that too is easily achieved, as is fixing the stay.
The floor is in two sections which just drop into place. They are slatted, I assume to aid ventilation and facilitate the elimination of excreted liquids (wee). The gaps aren't very wide, so I doubt they'd cause any problems, but if they did a plastic floor tile or piece of line could easily be trimmed to shape to provide a cover.

Once constructed I disturbed the tortoise from its hibernation for a fitting, only to find she was too wide to get in through the door.
So plan B. I decided to turn the whole of the front into a door. I won't go into details as it shouldn't be foo difficult for anyone else to do the same. I've attached a couple of photos to show the finished product.
The timber I used was matchboard, like that used in the house, but was a bit wider than that used by the manufacturers. I salvaged the two upright frames of the original door for the sides of the new one, and found a couple of other pieces of timber in my garage (I told my wife it would come in handy one day...) for the top and bottom bars of the door.
I did buy a couple of hinges, as I didn't think the single one provided would be enough.
A coat of preservative and the job was finished. It's a different shade, though you can't really tell from the photo. I doubt the tortoise will care.

The eagle-eyed will spot a little bit of damage to the timber above the door. I confess that was my fault, and nothing to do with Bunny Business.
review imagereview image
7 people found this helpful
on 3 April 2017
Actually, it's not me but my cat who loves this little house ! Although she does like to spend the night on my bed, she spends most of the day out in the garden, even in cold wet weather. I popped an igloo bed in this 'hutch' and she loves it. Very well made, comes flat packed but easy to put together (didn't bother with the 'stay-open' bracket) . The roof has proved to be watertight & as the the legs are built into the sides it's very sturdy.
4 people found this helpful
on 1 May 2018
bought this for a single guinea pig so that he can spend more time outside. I plan on surrounding it with a wire run which I already own and he will sleep there at night minus the run. it's small enough for me to pick up and put indoors should I get chilly which is great. it fits very well in my front porch without taking up loads of space which is what I wanted but there is plenty of room for piggy to move around and the ramp is great for when I allow play time he can just trot in and out..
putting it together wasn't too much of an ordeal. I'm usually pretty pants at stuff like this but I rushed home after work and put it together with a good knife as I don't know where my screwdriver is that's if I even own one 😎 but yea a little fiddly in places especially the hinges on the lid!! but all in all took me about 40 minutes to get it together so I'm happy with that. watch out for the wood though as it does split ever so slightly when screwing some of the panels together but I find just being gentle and trying not to move the screw around too much when trying to threat it worked for me. I'm happy over all. great for the price which lets face it is cheap!
on 9 October 2017
This is lovely but I have had to reinforce some of the (already assembled) side slats that became unattached from the struts letting the flooring fall out and so my sleeping guineas were outside during the night... Fortunately no fox had spotted them or I'd just be giving 2 stars. I've glued and replaced the screws and it's actually a pretty strong little hutch now. A lot of these items come so you have to assemble all of it anyway... So for the price it's a good buy.
on 15 May 2017
This is the second house we have bought. We use it as a shelter for our cats. We've had one for a couple of years but it was so popular when it rains there was a queue to get in it, hence the need
to buy a second one! Great value and easy to assemble. We just put some thick cardboard and a door mat on the floor. The cats love it.
2 people found this helpful
on 27 February 2017
A great product, the majority of it was easy to put together, the roof however was slightly difficult to put on but was able to do it when I got someone else to help me with it. The material is good quality and sturdy and delivery was very fast. I'm using it for my four guinea pigs, I'm sure they will love it to be able to keep warm, however I think I'm going to have to put some griping material on the ramp to make it easier for them to get up and down it, so they don't slide, however I feel like this would be more of a person preference. Other than that, I would strongly recommend this product.
on 15 March 2016
I PURCHASED THIS FOR A STRAY CAT AT MY BROTHERS PLACE AND IT HAS MADE ITSELF TOTALLY AT HOME AND HAS BEEN WARM AND DRY DURING THE COLD AND WET WEATHER.
4 people found this helpful
on 27 May 2017
My 3 little guinea pigs love this and run up and down the ramp endlessly (I put a small town over the ramp to make it easier for them). We ordered one of these 3 years ago and the roof has just fallen apart, so we got another one. The original one lasted really well seeing it's been outside all the time. So now they have a new one. I use it when they are outside on the grass, then for storage when they are back in their mansion (aka: hutch). I think I'm probably obsessed with them!
on 25 February 2018
This is pretty good but not the best constructed I have seen. The floor of the hutch is constantly being lifted by the rabbits so I had to screw it down eventually. And the ramp came off too. Apart from that it looks good and the hinge roof works great.
on 12 March 2017
This product was not as sturdy as I was hoping for. It was easy enough to put together but the parts move around even after constructed and the base does not fit properly it is smaller than the hutch leaving gaps.