Top critical review
26 people found this helpful
Not the best and appalling support from HP
on 5 August 2012
Update Jan 2013: I no longer recommend either this laptop nor from HP. I've downgraded my rating a second time to just 2*.
This is due to the extremely poor support I've had from them.
Firstly the issue with the webcam, then the issue over the warranty period (set at six months instead of twelve) and finally because the second drive bay has no mounting bracket or cable provided and HP think that it's fine to keep you hanging on a costly support number whilst fobbing you off saying that of course you shouldn't be able to put anything in the second bay without spending even more money with them. They even had the gall to suggest that the missing parts were because otherwise they couldn't otherwise know if you'd installed an incompatible drive!!! I've not been treated so badly by a customer support department for years!
Another issue is the keyboard. Even after months of heavy use, I constantly hit the wrong keys, I've never had that problem consistently on a keyboard before. I'm not sure what the issue is but some combination of the shape and the layout just doesn't work properly.
Poor show HP - these issues are clearly not unique to me, plenty of others have said similar things so I really cannot recommend this laptop and I cannot recommend HP, certainly not for consumer equipment.
It is worth noting the following:
- This version of the D7 supports up to 16GB of RAM (2x8GB) not 8 as often stated (that is the limit on the AMD CPU version)
- It supports a second hard drive internally! Which could be an SSD => BUT THERE ARE NO MOUNTINGS FOR IT!
- It has 2xUSB 3.0 and 2xUSB 2.0 connectors
- It has both WiFi and Bluetooth
- It only has a 5400 rpm drive so even a small SSD would speed things up a lot. (Except that you will have to purchase a mounting kit as well)
4* is my preliminary rating based on the specs alone, I've not added a proper rating as yet - it hasn't arrived! I will update after I've used it for a bit.
Now that I've used it for a while, I'm downgrading my rating to 3* for the following reasons:
- As with many other people, I've found that the camera is not working on the supplied unit. There is a fix but it requires prising apart the screen casing
- The keyboard is not brilliant - not bad just not that good either
- The machine came with the wrong warranty - it tells me it runs from Jan 2012 - Jan 2013 even though I purchased it in August 2012
So I'm not that impressed by HP just now.