on 25 June 2013
There is a lot of detail and many many pages on the different morphs of corn snake, how to breed them and how to look after hatchlings. I'd go as far as to say this book is 100% aimed at breeders of corn snakes and NOT for people like myself who simply want to own one or maybe a few more corn snakes and want to know how best to look after them day to day. There is no information on handling, daily routines, feeding schedules are only mentioned once briefly and there is no mention of the famous "Munson feeding plan" which details how to feed corns throughout their life. In fact, even when mentioning feeding it is in reference to ensuring corns get to a good weight for breeding. It tells me to change the water a minimum of every 3 days twice in the book seemingly randomly and as an afterthought.

So I disagree with the books title. It is not an owners guide it is for breeders and breeders only.
3 people found this helpful
on 29 November 2013
I have bought several books over the years and if you are just setting out in keeping snakes or want some information before you decide on a pet then this is a great book. Packed with information as you would expect, plus a handy size to keep close by.
It is a great book and even though I have had snakes for some years now, I still like to keep all my original books handy to have the information nearby, there is always something to learn
on 25 October 2016
I really like this series of books. Fantastic starting point for new owners to read and build the foundations of their knowledge. The corn snake book is more meaty than other books in the series. can't go wrong!
on 3 September 2013
I have kept my cornsnake for nearly a year and had got everything I needed to know from the forums at cornsnake.co.uk but you can't go wrong having a real book to hand. Although obviously written by americans all the info translates across nicely (you can simply ignore the section on live feeding if you only feed freeze/thawed like me). It's a good reference book and some of the pictures are gorgeous. Especially good is the section of morphs which takes up the last half/third of the book - all with pictures and histories of the morphs. Physically the book is smaller than I expected (A5) but is of great quality.
on 30 May 2017
A very helpful book with lots of advice for a novice or for someone with experience, well written and easy to understand
on 13 April 2004
I am a beginner herper and this book has helped me immensely with my first corn snake. Of course I already knew most of the husbandry techniques before I purchased the book (and the snake for that matter) but htis book helped to refine them.
One thing it doesn't go into though is general behaviour and I have had to ask around the internet to recieve answers.
If you're interested in keeping corn snakes or have one or two already then this book is a must-have.
10 people found this helpful
on 6 June 2013
Contrarily to what people said to me ("get that book, it's loaded with quality information"), the book is not as inormative as I had thought it to be. For example regarding feeding problems, I've learned much more from random articles in the internet. Not that many pictures either and a little confusing regarding morphs. It's ok, but not great.
on 4 October 2016
Great little read which was my reference book many times when I was unsure of something or wanted to look something up
on 30 June 2016
Looks a little dated now, given the newer texts available about corn snakes, but very comprehensive, nonetheless. Not really a book for beginners but well-suited to the seasoned herpetologist, this book is still a worthy companion to the other books I have on the subject.
review image
One person found this helpful
on 13 February 2017
As you'd expect from this line of books, a good a round coverage to complement any research