Customer reviews

Helvetios
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 January 2018
I bought this album via Amazon Music as a download having heard "A Rose For Epona" on YouTube. However, the quality of the digital file is appalling. Every track is heavily overcompressed and actually distorted a lot of the time. Yes, I know it's hard rock music and some distortion is intentional, but not this much - trust me, I'm a recording engineer, and my specialty is transferring classic recordings to digital.

We are long past the days when overcompressing music to make it sound louder was thought a good idea. It never was. Today, the result of overcompressing music is that it's distorted and fatiguing to listen to - while streaming and radio processing automatically evens average loudness levels out so there is NO BENEFIT in overcompression.

I'm giving this album 3 stars - that's the average between 5 stars for the music and 0 stars for the file transfer quality. This isn't a problem with lossy compression (though I would love it if Amazon offered FLAC or ALAC hi-res audio files) - it's the quality of the transfer from the master recording to the downloadable file or stream. You really should do better than this. Amazon, please audition files submitted for sale and make sure that they have actually been mastered properly!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 April 2018
Great album. Good music throughout and some real stand out songs such as rose for aopena. Has a solid theme through it which makes it a folk metal concept album.
on 29 October 2015
A brilliant album. You can't go wrong buying this and I'm sure you'll enjoy it for years to come. It's all so much cheaper on Amazon than on iTunes and is easy to download and add to your iTunes library. Bought Tango In The Night from iTunes and it was £9.99. I wish I'd known about Amazon cause it's under £4 on here!
on 9 January 2018
Son loves this group
on 25 March 2013
A fantastic blend of Gaelic folk and raw heavy metal. Love these guys, though to be honest, I can understand very little of what is going on at any time, which is also true of two bands I have compared them with. Astonishingly fresh. This is their latest album and the first I bought - I have since purchased two others from their back catalogue and have not been disappointed.
on 21 May 2015
aw come on what else could I say but thunderous? Heavy metal with a hurdy gurdy...excellent combination
on 11 January 2015
all ok
on 18 October 2012
Having seen this band live supporting DevilDriver I got to listening to their albums and really liked them. I was pleased with this new album which is a great addition to their catalogue.
on 13 November 2015
Great album one of the best Eluveitie records.
on 20 July 2013
Eluveitie are definitley the best folk metal band that I know of. This album is probably not their best but it was not a disapointment. (their best is very good)