on 26 July 2013
I compared this version with the older Kronos version online and I much preferred this one for several reasons.
Firstly the recording quality is really clear and in the room with you - the Kronos is "over there" if you get my meaning.
The other big difference is that Kronos use vibrato and it just doesn't suit this piece. Eclipse Quartet play it with none and so delicately.
Vicki Ray's piano is stunning - liquid and glowing and yet warm too - and the sustain on the held notes really rings out. The whole performance seems to breathe and really communicated the piece to me.
on 4 April 2016
I find this recording and this music utterly compelling. In his poem Burnt Norton T S Eliot referred to "the still point of the turning world". This music seems to embody that vision in something intensely spiritual. Other reviewers have explained the technical intricacies of this music far better than I could but what I can say is that it will reward many hearings and the unfamiliar will be observed to have a pattern in its apparent randomness and a resolution.