on 14 February 2012
I bought this after hearing 'My Valentine' on the radio - yes it was Radio 2!
This song is my favourite but I enjoyed listening to the others too. Even at 57 I love the songs of pre war decades and Paul sings them in the light style favoured by the likes of Fred Astaire who, while not being a great singer, could put across the sentiment of a lyric.
A good relaxing listen at the end of the day.
4 people found this helpful
on 8 March 2012
Well I have always enjoyed listening to Macca and I was quite exited at the release of the new album "Kisses on the bottom". To say I am dissapointed would understate things.I am afraid there are many nicknames that will emerge as a result.For example ; ""Music from my bottom" or "dragging along the bottom" In sure the list will go on....
Seems the last resort of a fading celebrity is to do an album of standards. In some cases it works as in the case of James Taylor, Rod Stewart,Carly simon,and Harry Neilsen.However this offering is a dismal failure.Listening to the whole thing hoping the next track would redeem was pure torture. I see the complimantary die hard fans making their what seems to me to be "dissengenuous" comments and the story of the "emperors new clothes" springs to mind.
Sorry Macca but its time to "get in the garden" and start "digging the weeds" and book that long overdue holiday "in the Isle of wight".
This is no bad reflection on your career which was magnificent.
3 people found this helpful
on 8 February 2012
I've been a Beatles fan since the 60s and have lots of solo albums, all of Paul's bar the classical etc. I haven't though found his last couple as good as what some have. When I heard Valentine it seemed so simple but I thought it had something and would be a grower. Not sure which but the next I heard on the radio put me off a bit from buying it. Paper Moon was the next and I enjoyed it, seen good reviews in the press and bought it. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will certaily be playing it. I may not have enjoyed this type of music when younger, like a lot of people my tastes have mellowed. The two new songs fit like a glove, well done Paul.
7 people found this helpful
on 21 September 2012
A great CD for relaxing to. Old favourites given a new working. The laid back style suits the 'mature' voice!
on 10 March 2012
O talento de Paul Mccartney realmente me surpeende a cada dia ou a cada obra que ele lança, realmente é "coisa de outro mundo". Suas músicas e interpretações são com toda a certeza a trilha sonora da minha vida.
on 7 March 2012
this is McCartney at his best, doing what a first class entertainer does best, interpriting a song as it should be as it was meant to be, a classic album from one of the greats.
on 16 February 2012
Oh, dear. None of us like to admit we're getting older, or that the musicians we've loved for so long are going the same way, but this is McCartney sounding like an old man. Iffy vocal quality in places, no matter how good the backing or how many celebrity mates join in, and a selection of uninspiring songs. I hate to say it, but we might have been better off with an album where he re-worked some of his own classics. By all means get mellow, maybe decide that you can't sing rock 'n' roll like you used to but please, Paul, not like this...
6 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 9 March 2012
This was the perfect Valentine present which we played while eating our romantic dinner by candlelight at home. My ladylove enjoyed every song. Wow! very successful evening. Thanks Sir Paul.
on 14 March 2012
McCartney's made some terrific albums across the years, but this just ain't one of them. 3 stars for simply sticking in there but I still haven't go to the end of this. A little tedious to be fair.
on 6 February 2012
I got this CD at the weekend. To clarify, I'm a huge Paul McCartney fan and have every CD he has ever put out (including classical). Also, I knew this collection was songs from his youth, I have to say i was disappointed. In terms of musicianship and production, its fantastic. The songs though are very low key, light jazz and all sound a bit the same. Apart from Write myself a letter, Accentuate the positive and bye bye blackbird, the rest are all very average and obscure songs, in my view anyway. Also as i said, songs seem to be slowed down and are more jazz orientated. Eric Clapton pops up playing guitar on one song and Stevie Wonder playing harmonica on another. It was obviously a labour of love for Sir Macca, something he wanted to do but i advise you listen to some of the songs before you buy. On the plus side, my mother loved the CD, so that kind of tells you where its at. The 3 stars is for production and musicianship,
6 people found this helpful