Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 7 January 2012
Ive been looking for a way to get started with game development and have heard great things about the authors original book. I was eager for this updated version to hit the shelves and so far it has not disappointed. My perspective is one of someone who knew nothing about Unity or game development, never having tried either. This book has been a great introduction to game development with Unity. I was grateful that its written in plain conversational english and all of the programming is broken down for easy digestion. This is a great start if you want to get your feet wet with Unity and game dev. For me this book was a perfect fit.
on 1 February 2012
This is by far the best unity book I've had the opportunity to read. It's well written, easy to follow, and covers a lot of ground. Unlike other books, throughout the book only one example game is made, but the game is far more advanced than if the author would jump from one game to another.

The book goes through all sorts of unity features, including the landscape engine, particle systems, animation, ui, HUD, physics, scripting (in both c# and javascript) - actually, plenty of space is dedicated to scripting, including a chapter that goes through basic concepts like variables, functions and logic structures, but this is all done in a way that's not dumbed down by any means.

Towards the end of the book you can find descriptions of things often forgotten, including doing finishing touches, optimization, steps to publish on the web or standalone, and so on.

If you want to buy one book on unity, this, in my opinion, would be it.
on 13 September 2012
This book is clearly written and provides examples in both JavaScript and C# (particularly good if you want to work in C#, as many other resources are based on JavaScript). It provides an excellent introduction to Unity 3.x, and takes you through the process of creating a simple game using provided assets.

The cool thing about Will's book is that it introduces most of the essential features of Unity, so if you work through it all, you will have some idea about how scripts, components, particle effects, animations etc. work in Unity, and how it all fits together. The book tells you how to build a game and deploy it on the web, so from starting with no knowledge of scripting I was able to have the tutorial game up and running within a week or two. This is a big confidence boost and by the end you'll be itching to start your own projects.

It is also excellent the way Will has provided a supporting website and patches over things which have been changed since the publication of the book, such as the particle system: for this he provides a short video explaining how to follow that part of the book with the new system. He also addresses errata and readers can post a question if they get stuck with something. Brilliant.

My only criticism is this: Although the book covers enough scripting for a text aimed mainly at beginners, unfortunately I am finding it does not have much lasting value as a reference. The way the scripts are described piece by piece over several pages makes it hard to quickly go back and see how something was done. Perhaps an appendix with the full commented scripts would have been useful, but to be honest it is probably beyond the scope of the book.

Overall, I would not hesitate to recommend this book for anyone taking their first steps in Unity, though hopefully in the future we will see another book which is more of a scripting reference and covers some more advanced aspects of scripting.
on 4 January 2015
My university uses this book for part of its Game Design course and it is very helpful for beginners. I had no idea how to make a game until I started using this book and now I understand the basics and can move on to a more advanced level, with me and a team-mate making our own 3D game with Unity.
If you wish to learn the core elements to making a 3D game, this book is extremely handy with easy to understand instructions, clear pieces of working code and helpful images.
on 31 December 2012
This is a perfect starting point for anyone looking to learn not only Unity, but also C#, JavaScript, or both! It is very detailed and the game you build throughout the book puts the covered topics into practice. It is very much a 'learn by doing' book. Not a drab, theory heavy book at all. The dual coverage of c# and Js is an extremely useful feature for comparison of the two languages and expanding the books user base. There is an active errata page and the author/publisher does reply to contact. Unfortunately this book just missed Unity 4's release, so is based on an earlier 3.x version(s), but that's not really an issue as the topics remain relavent! I couldn't recommend this more. (I should also probably clarify on my earlier comment about this book being for someone looking to learn c# or Js for Unity before somebody moans. This is definitely true, I myself learned all my initial c# here as the basics like variables etc. are explained, so breathe a sigh of relief beginners! It isn't a dedicated programming book however, nothing advanced to be found here). For more detailed c# I recommend head first c#, or the 900 odd page Beginning visual c# 2012 programming.
on 28 May 2013
I wanted to get into Unity, but I'd never written a line of code beyond BASIC as a kid. A developer friend said this book would be just the job and he wasn't wrong.

It leads you in pretty gently, but doesn't pull any punches once it gets going. You have to engage fully with one chapter in order to understand the next, and I also found myself going to other C# resources on the net to affirm and deepen what this author was explaining. That's no bad thing, though.

If you're willing to put in the time to go back over some bits and work out exactly why you're doing what you're doing, this book is pretty much a one stop shop to learning the basics of Unity.

The author also engages with the readership on the forums, adding extra explantions, different examples and revised/updated material when necessary. That's a great bonus.
on 17 September 2012
I purchased this book after reading over reviews, which I rarely do. Usually I just look at a book a think "yeah that looks OK". After just finishing a 3 year degree in Computer Games Development I am still eager to learn from the experts and make my way into the industry. This has to be one of the best books to start with.

The author allows the reader to choose a coding language from the start (Either C# or Javascript) but also gives the code in both languages so the reader can compare the two and decide for themselves. It is informative, easy to read and easy to implement the tutorials.

It's all you need from a book to get your games development career started!

My one drawback is that it would have been better for the reader to include the full Unity documentation (classes/methods etc) as a PDF/.doc file within the Book assets download rather than having to search it on the net.
on 27 August 2012
After days of floundering around the Unity website trying to find the really basic getting started stuff that would allow me to follow their tutorials, someone pointed me to this great book. Working through a project from absolutely nowhere (which is where I was starting from), it gives you just as much as you need at each step, till before you know it you've got the beginnings of a game. It incorporates lots of prefab stuff, so you can get an interesting looking environment without having to know all the more complicated stuff of designing assets and textures. I'm not yet half-way through, but I'm really enjoying this book, and the project it walks you through. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to get started with Unity.
on 2 July 2013
Really great book, the instruction inside this book are easy to understand even for me who live in non-English speaking Country. The book explain some basic knowledge to built your own game from scratch, although it doesn't explain about advanced feature like Animation, Artificial Intelligence or building 3D asset, but I found this book helpful for beginner. It lay basic understanding and concept how to built your own game in Unity.
on 26 November 2012
This book gets you started in Unity and producing stuff quickly without assuming that you have extensive coding knowledge. Lovely stuff.