Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.19

on 13 January 2000
Having spent almost 5 years at the Durham College where William McVicker was senior organ Scholar, and having been constantly told about the legend that is William McVicker in the organ-playing world, I am finally glad to hear him play. This CD contains an inspired programme of music, which shows off beautifully both the range and capability of the instrument, and the fantastic talent of the organist. My particular favourite is Lefebure-Wely's wonderfully tasteless "Sortie in E flat", a marvellously fairground-style piece with some great opportuities for the organist to show off to his audience. A top class performance!
22 Comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 August 2016
Included on this cd are a good variety of organ pieces and transcriptions including a number of my favourites. I particularly like the Toccata from Boellmann's Gothic suite, such a sinister effect coming up from the lower register - very Gothic. The eternally popular Widor Toccata is also included. All in all good value..
on 28 July 2017
enjoyable
on 22 August 2017
ok
on 6 July 2001
This is an excellent recording of some old favourites and some new ones too. Far from being too loud and too fast, this is well judged, musical playing and an excellent introduction to the wonderful variety of music written for the organ.
If you want to hear playing that is truly too fast and too loud, then try any from Wayne Marshall! This is playing of the very highest order which deserves a wider audience.
on 21 April 2017
Great organ pieces! Widor's toccata & fugue was our wedding march 50 years ago this July.
on 21 January 2015
A lot on here I dont know some I do know but not by name once the piece started playing I knew some of them just love the sound of big organs reminds me of york minster.some lovely tunes.
on 10 March 2015
It is an amazing piece of music and one I don't fully understand, even hearing it a lot as a child. My father R.I.P., had it on cassette and used to listen to it in his Cavalier!
on 5 July 2015
I heard the Widor Toccato played by William McVicker on Classic FM. I decided to buy this CD. Unfortunately the recording is poor. I play the Bach Toccato and Fugue in D minor on the piano, so am very familiar with the piece. Mc Vickers skill is very apparent, the way his hands fly over the keys, but in places the notes sound off key and it also sounds as if mistakes have been made. I have played the disc on both my Technics Hi-Fi and my portable Sony CD player. The poor sound is more evident on the Technics. This CD was recorded in 1997, so perhaps this is why the recording is poor. It sounded very different on the radio-note perfect and clear.The choice of tracks are very good, some of which I was unfamiliar with. I would like a decent recording of the tracks.
on 27 January 2011
I may not be entirely unbiased because I know the performer, but regardless of that, this is an excellent performance of an excellent crop of favourite organ works. It's no surprise that ClassicFM chose these pieces - they always come up popular choices on their station. With Will McVicker at the keyboard, you'd find it hard to go wrong.

And the price is fantastic!