Customer reviews

on 21 October 2012
This book is one of those story collections that everybody should read. In turns fascinating, poignant, scary and all too human, Jeremy Robert Johnson taps into the nightmare psyche that threatens to eat you every moment of your life. Each story highlights another gremlin that snacks on your nerves, tells you things you don't want to hear.

This books is so good it has been nominated as one of the best bizarro story collections of the year. That's right, everybody who has read it has loved it, and it is recognised as one of the best. I say year, probably, it could win the award for the decade.

My favourite story involves a young man who becomes embroiled in a plot to steal a large amount of drugs from, and elope with the girlfriend of, another man. However, not all goes to plan, of course. It is the voice, the narration, the real visceral and emotional content and enunciation that Johnson gives to the narrator that set this work aside from almost all others.

You just have to read it. I sincerely doubt you will be disappointed.
on 4 August 2015
Not entirely what I imagined; I was expecting it to be a collection of parasite themed horror stories. There a few of them in there, but Johnson as writes about parasitic emotions and people. A parasite as a concept. He has a way with words that can easily draw you in but is hard to describe. I bought this wanting to be creeped out, but I'm happy with what I got. I read the entire thing in one sitting. This is easily one for fans of the written word and the subtleties and power of them. Give it a try, you'll not regret it.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 November 2014
Disturbing and atmospheric.

A great collection of stories here that thoroughly entertained me.
on 6 March 2014
Jeremy Robert Johnson is a fantastic storyteller, who deserves a wider audience. He is very innovative, and unafraid to draw the reader into the uncharted waters of his tales.
We Live Inside You is a masterpiece. Each of the stories collected cast a divinely dark spell on the reader. It is, in fact, so good that I cannot name any favorites, as all of the stories are amazing in their own rights. JRJ masters different literary genres (horror, crime, bizarro...) and narrative styles and crafts highly imaginative, chilling and fascinating stories. The only non-fiction piece of We Live Inside You is about the very unusual making of a superb album (The Bedlam in Goliath) by The Mars Volta, which is of my all-time favorite bands - utterly fascinating !
In case you have not read this book yet, here is a little "foretaste" -

""You are more fun than the elephants", he says, "They didn't drink enough water and always fed us the same things. You fed us the soft pieces, the animal bits. We spread faster now. We are everywhere. We are growing." - When Susurrus Stirs.
on 16 May 2014
This is an awesome book, I love Jeremy Robert Johnson's work, and this is no exception. He has a way of creating an atmosphere that is unparalleled in modern literature. I would wholeheartedly recommend reading any of JRJ's work (I am an English tutor and regularly use his short stories as examples of effective and efficient ways to create atmosphere and invoke a reader's emotions). This, as with Angel Dust Apocalypse, will fill your brain with scenes that are not easily forgotten and will be spontaneously recalled at the most subtle cues leaving you with odd flashbacks while waiting in the queue at the post office.