Customer reviews

Doves Farm Organic Wholegrain Spelt Flour 1 kg (Pack of 5)
Size: Pack of 5|Style: Spelt|Change
Price:£15.57+ Free shipping

on 31 January 2013
This flour is fantastic in taste, quality, texture, and its effects on my gastrointestinal system. My husband and I bake all our bread using this flour by doubling the bread recipe on the back of the flour pack and splitting it into three bread tins. We bake them all at the same time and have bread for the week. They keep well in the freezer for at least a week.

We have also both found that we feel much better eating bread made out of this flour rather than strong white bread flour or even whole wheat bread flour, and certainly feel loads better than when we eat bread from the supermarket.

I've also used this flour successfully in cookies (the recipe on the back on the pack), cake (a recipe on the Dove website), pancakes, and crepes. Very versatile.
47 people found this helpful
on 14 July 2014
"Bread to die for" at least that is the response i got from my best friend and her friend. Actually, should be
'Bread to die from' - given that they scoffed a date and walnut two pounder at one sitting. Can u believe! Well actually i can, because the bread i made, following the recipe's on the packaging, is AMAZING!
The ladies (both damn good cooks) told me it is the best bread they had ever eaten. They both begged me not to give them any more, Because they don't want to put on weight - Since then, they have had three more, and i intend to keep fattening them up until they are ready for the pot.
Really this is lovely flour - the basic loaf is quick and easy - the walnut and fig (to die from) requires a bit more time, but is well worth it.
My experience.
No machine - all by hand - kneading - it can be messy due to the moisture and oil content - TRY THIS.
Use a table spoon and a large fork, or just the spoon on its own, or two tablespoons, this method makes kneading easy and clean. No mess and no waste of flour - in fact no extra flour needed for kneading at all. I use a deep circular pyrex dish, a tablespoon, a fork. I takes five minutes kneading this way.
I put electric oven on lowest setting, till warm, then turn it off and place dough in covered tins in same, until twice size - comes to top of tins. take out keeping covered, then in hot oven for about half an hour (my oven at 200-240)
For the basic loaf, i use organic forest honey - doves quick yeast - Himalayan salt. For the (To die from loaf) as per recipe, with Sumo organic figs and good quality walnuts - orange juice from a squeezed orange. Chopping walnuts is the most tedious part of the process. Don't ask me about machines - my wrists and hands are just fine.
I eat very little ordinary bread since Doves flour came my way - give it a try - kill off all your friends, if you must?
Bread and blessings from heaven,
david
on 29 August 2014
This is an excellent product. It is a lot pricier than regular plain flour but then so are other types of specialty flour, even when found in supermarkets. I live in a fairly small place where this simply isn't available so great to be able to order x5. I keep one on the go and the others in the freezer.

The best thing about this flour I think is the taste, nutty, but sweet, but much nicer than spelt in my opinion. But another great thing about it is that it seems to be much more finely ground than ordinary wholemeal flour. It is absolutely ideal for making chapatties!
on 17 September 2014
I make sourdough pizza and put half kamut and half 00 italian strong flour. Amongst all my experiments of pizza (all white flour, half semolina and half flour, half spelt and half white) this is by far the BEST tasting pizza I've ever tasted! I tried 100% kamut bread but can't reach the open crumb I like, so I would suggest to always cut the kamut with white (weaker) flours. Also best price around!
10 people found this helpful
on 9 November 2013
A great flour for home baking, and works well with bread machines using ordinary quick yeast and regular setting. Might need to experiment by adding more yeast or honey if required, since the bread is quite firm even so. Also an easy winner for home-made pizza dough, with or without the bread machine assistance. It's quicker to make a pizza from idea to first mouthful than it is to phone for a pizza delivery!
12 people found this helpful
on 28 May 2016
Love this flour, great taste and very good price compared to the store price. Rich taste with all the goodness left in. I use it to bake my everyday bread buns amongst other things. One tip with spelt flour, it tends to take more water than other flours, and if you make pastry, be sure to cool it before rolling it out.
4 people found this helpful
on 21 January 2014
This flour is lovely to use. Great to see KAMUT FLOUR on the market. It makes scrummy shortbread and lovely bread.
on 2 August 2017
We love this flour. We decided to make our own vegan soda bread and have been doing so since we found this flour. It's great and doesn't make you feel bloated. A nutritionist told me this is the best flour to make bread. The soda bread we have made has worked well every time and haven't bought a loaf of bread since. Spelthasa good-nutty flavour.
on 28 February 2017
I've used this excellent rye flour for quite a while, but the local supermarkets have been out of stock for several weeks now. Was pleased to receive the flour quickly, and happy with the thorough packaging – the ten bags were neatly arranged and double-bagged within the cardboard packaging.

This ten-pack offers a great price per kilogram, versus buying one kilo at a time.
on 30 September 2017
The spelt flour i am very happy with nice to make dough
with and i like to buy in bulk and fast shipping and well
packaged and i would highly recommend to friends and family
and or anybody reading this review.