on 23 July 2017
odd situation .
amazon put a picture of roller ball pen
and the description of a fountain pen.
I bought it .
got the roller pen .
returned it and told them that i wanted the fountain pen as the it says "Sheaffer VFM Nickel Plate Trim Fountain Pen - Blue"
and explained to them where the error came from
amazon apologised.
i returned the item for replacement.
only to get another roller-ball pen.
at this stage I gave up and kept the roller-ball pen.
it might be a good roller ball pen i would never never as I only use fountain pens
so don't let this review put you off buying this ROLLERBALL pen as in the picture
"
on 4 February 2017
The major problem with this item, and it is an unforgivable one, is that this is a Sheaffer. Let me explain.

If this were a make you had never heard of, you would praise the nice inoffensive writing this pen produces. Smooth and sure, with snappy looks. Metal construction you could imagine withstanding a fall from an upper storey window undamaged.

That's the good. Now comes the unforgivable.

Sheaffer VFM! Why do you not take Sheaffer cartridges? Oh you take international. That's ok then, I will use a converter... oh silly me. A converter wont fit. Wait....what?

Not only will you be confusing all but the fountain pen savvy (who will not buy this anyway as it is a starter pen) into buying Sheaffer branded cartidges that WILL NOT FIT, you decide that you will make a pen whose barrel wil not accept ink converters, so your Sheaffer ink bottle you just bought is also completely useless.

You have been making writing instuments since 1912, then you give us a pile of rubbish like this. I really do not know what you were thinking! The imbecile who came up with this idea should hang their head in shame, this is no Sheaffer... it doesn't deserve the name.

Thankfully for me, I collect fountain pens so it's no problem for me - but if I were a youngster who were looking to get into the rewarding and fun world of fountain pens, and decided to buy a make perhaps their parents and grandparents used to begin that journey and found this pathetic offering, i would be laughing into my sleeve - deciding fountain pens are a waste of time and buying another ballpoint.

Great job Sheaffer, great job.
on 28 May 2013
When you buy a Sheaffer - you expect the quality to be extremely good. But it was disappointing to see that the pen did not write smoothly. I have been trying to work-out the correct angle at which the pen would write smoothly. Unfortunately there is none, now I am sure of that. So I have kept the pen aside. I have fond memories of this brand - long time back my Uncle purchased a Sheaffer and it was an amazing experience to write with it. It's disheartening to see that the quality has really gone down. Hence the reason for a rating of 2 stars - though it deserves only a 1 star ( but I dislike the word 'hate' hence giving it 2 stars).
Best wishes.
33 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 January 2015
Bought this as a retirement gift for a teacher colleague, as I have one myself. Good quality and nice to use. Colleague was impressed!
on 18 November 2016
Quite a nice pen, although the lid doesn't stay on the end of the pen when you are writing which is irritating. Only accepts Universal cartridges which is stated in the small print (and I missed) so avoid purchasing the Shaeffer barrel-style cartridges for this one. Writes smoothly and has a good weight to it. Suspect this may be an older line as the packaging had photos of Margaret Thatcher signing some documents...
on 19 September 2015
I love these pens. This was a replacement because I lost my original one. Great quality.
on 6 February 2017
Very nice quality feel about this pen and for £9.00 its excellent value.
Quite slim and a nice smooth feel to it, writes beautifully but I would recommend a fine tip as the medium is quite bold.
on 7 March 2016
Good, strong pen. Very nice, consistent ink.

Comes in a professional looking box with two ink cartridges (one blue and one black)

Would definitely recommend
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on 1 April 2015
This pen offers excellent quality for the price. It comes well presented in a gift box with 2 ink cartridges in the bottom of the box. The pen has a weighty feel to it without being too heavy and writes beautifully. I didn't discover the ink cartridges in the bottom of the box immediately so inserted a WH Smith one which is a perfect fit. Can't recommend this pen enough for those wanting a low cost quality fountain pen.
on 12 April 2016
I love fountain pens! This pen is smooth and a beautiful writer! Also very easy to refill with cartridges!