on 25 January 2012
Complete masterpiece. If you are already a fan and come with an open mind you'll fall in love with it. It's like the second half of their Live in Manchester and Dublin album x 100. As mentioned in the review by TexasBrit there is a wide range of styles on display and the arrangements have been carefully thought out to highlight the beauty and energy of both melody and rhythm. A lot of the tracks on 11:11, where half of these tracks originate, were nods to Rod & Gab's inspirations and these arrangements help illuminate those without ever descending in to pastiche, parody or instrumental karaoke. It's worth getting the version that includes the DVD as this gives a good insight into the care with which the album was made. A superb album that rewards repeated listens and will lift your mood whenever you play it.
on 25 March 2012
As per usual, Rodrigo y Gabriela are amazing. In this album they are playing along side Cuban musicians and have made a very Latiny albums, doing some Latin versions of previous work. It is pretty different to just the two guitarists playing themselves, but in my eyes it is a very good kind of different. A very feel good album to get you up on your feet that you really cannot go wrong with if you're throwing a party! All the usual guitar is still there, so if your a fan of Rod y Gab you still get all the stuff you came for, with a nice Latin flair. For a fan of Latin and Cuban style music this is an absolute treat. If you are new to Rod y Gab I'd say get their self titled album first to hear what they are usually like, then get this for their songs turned into some great dancing tunes. Overall I think this is a fine album that belongs in the collection of lovers of guitar and Latin music alike.
on 4 March 2012
I'm a fan of the duo and have both their earlier CDs and I have to say this wasn't what I expected. I do like it but it took me a while to get into it. If you are used to their wonderful guitar pyrotechnics then this may come as a shock. They play with a Cuban band and sometimes the guitars are swamped by the overpowering band. It certainly grows on you but it is very different from their earlier work
on 1 July 2015
I have found this cd to be excellent and quite original in the way the music has been choreographed, each time I have played it, I hear different things going on and enjoy it more and more. I would not say that the album was am instant hit you in the face love it, but it really grows on me more and more, to the point where I now find myself really in to it big time.

I would dispute some comments of the band drowning out Rodrigo and Gabriella, as if this cd is listened to on a good system you will find that they do not, they just merge and blend closely in certain areas of the album, just like most good music does. I have a Class A amplifier and yes, this does make a whole lot of difference to the listening experience.

I have two other albums by the duo and love them both, I admire their musical knowledge, skills and prowess and the excitement of the experimentation that this album brings. I think that it is an excellent addition to my music collection.
on 24 January 2012
I'm sorry that the other reviewer felt that this album was just a kind of rehash of Carlos Santana. I couldn't disagree more--Rodrigo y Gabriela have created in "Area 52" a masterpiece of various musical styles, honing their talent and skill over years spent in Europe as well as their native Mexico. A glorious and eclectic mixture of Latin American (especially Cuban) jazz, rock, heavy metal, and even Indian sounds (yes, there's a sitar in there!), "Area 52" is one of those albums that you love the first time you hear it. Bound to be a classic!
on 17 August 2012
I bought this CD on the strength of hearing it played on Jazz FM as an album of the week. I was not disappointed. On first hearing, the tracks can seem a bit 'samey' but it grows on you and now it is one of my very favourite albums. If you like Santana then you will love this. It is such a feel good album that it cannot fail to cheer you up. I urge you to buy this little piece of South American sunshine!
on 15 May 2016
R&G are amazing and so are the others. This CD is different from the previous ones as Latino is played not only by R&G but they are accompanied by other musicians. Still, excellent music where flamengo meets rock.
on 25 February 2012
Some reviews complain about the album sounding Santanaesque. Well I guess that's a fair comment. However, Rodrigo only seriously picks up the Gibson Les Paul - the first time he's actually used an electric guitar for several years - on track two, Hanuman, where he plays it to perfection albeit in the style and sound of Carlos. For me Diablo Rojo and Juan Loco are the stand out tracks on the CD, but the 13 piece C.U.B.A. are an inspiration and only go to enhance the duo's fabulous talent. Give the album a fair try, however, if you're looking for pure flamenco you could well be disappointed. C.U.B.A. is the big clue!
on 15 March 2014
Working with the Cuban Band injects a big band sound that just blows your socks off. As a fan of bigband music, the combination of talent just hits the spot, yes very reminiscent of Santana but with a lot more technical detail to the fore and, as some others have remarked, there were times when the duo's leads were rather swamped by the band...despite that, it's one of those albums I will want to play over and over again.
on 9 May 2013
A beautiful mix of the fantastic new Mexican sound and Cuban brass and local rhythms, had to listen to it 4 times straight off, I'm begging all my friends to give it a chance! It's utterly brilliant!