Customer reviews

Gerber Bear Grylls Micro Torch light
Size: Micro Torch Light|Change
Price:£18.06+ £7.99 shipping

on 16 March 2016
I bought this as it was on a 'lightning deal' offer and believe that the 'full price' is a tad too expensive for a product like this. Anyhow the product arrived promptly and well packaged as ever from Amazon. I have had an similar Energiser one attached to my keyring for years and thus, that is what I am comparing it with.

The first thing I noticed is that the brightness of this is no where near as bright as the Energiser one, which I found highly disappointing! Yes this one has a few different modes and these are a nice addition to my former one. As other reviewers have mentioned, it can get a little tedious to whizz through the different modes to turn the thing off.

I mainly wanted this as a keyring addition (to replace my Energiser one) but appreciate that this one can used for many applications such as on a ruck sack zip etc (as the packaging this suggests). Having said that and for the purpose that I bought if for, I much prefer my old (now back in service) Energiser one, if not for the annoying 'mode' shuffles then definitely and simply for the huge difference in the brightness level.

To sum up, if you are wanting to buy this for for such applications as the zip attachment then my advice would be to buy this. If however you simply want this as a keyring addition for that odd occasion when you need a little light, then I am sorry but I cannot recommend this, take a look at the Energiser one and go for that, thats my advice.

on 6 January 2018
I've had so many of these torches over the years (they are very small so they do keep going missing, although I think my children may be appropriating them as well...), and while the first 2 phases - very bright and less bright - are very useful, I could really do without the third 'blinking' phase (has anyone ever used a blinking torch to attract attention??)
on 7 November 2012
First I will confirm I bought the product and am not associated with anyone selling it or making any products I mention.

How we rate things depends on our expectations. I take my expectations from my image of Bear and the product description only.

The description calls this a survival tool. I will come back to this claim in the conclusion.

Update after many months: now my main gripe is this switches on in my (loose jacket) pocket a lot. The battery has gone. This is despite the auto turn off after 5 mins. The button should be less easy to knock.

A mega flaw is not having a glow in the dark bit on it so you can locate it in the dark! Very simple, but would be a life-saver if dropped when off, or if trying to turn it on in a dark situation!

Although it seems shower and water resistant, the maker have avoided stating anything about protection from water so they can avoid liability I guess. To be a true emergency tool or go anywhere item as we expect from BG stuff, I want waterproof. It's strange because BG himself says on his own website sales page for it "They weigh nothing yet can make a critical difference if your main torch or kit gets WET or lost! (attach them to your key-ring or back pack and thank me when when the unexpected happens!)"

Much longer battery life would make this a lot more interesting and a true emergency tool, the sort of thing I'd expect from BG again.

For those using the flashing light for visibility, eg riding a bike, the light switches off after 5mins so you might forget it has turned off as you cycle or walk near a road ect. You will need to remember to turn it on. Not so safe. But because of the low battery life it is clear it is not intended for this use except a one-off occasion where your usual flashing light is un-uesable.

I must admit that I mercilessly pulled at the line and it withstood the abuse. So whatever it is attached to will break before the line does. Impressive.

Very compact size, yet easy to manipulate and hold.

Nice rubberized grip marked button easy to use with gloves on.

Not feather light, but very light considering its strong construction, which will allow it to get stepped on or dropped with zero drama.

Turns off after 5mins so if knocked it will not drain battery on the sly in your pocket or backpack.

The light is good to work with close range nearly to medium range, nice white light.

The shape of the sides means you can stand it on a flat surface it's side and illuminate upwards or down if you were reading a map or working on something fiddly for example. Nice touch!

At this price range (I managed to get mine for £8, bear in mind USA reviewers are paying that figure in dollars so it's much better value for them) there are no good alternatives that I am aware of. But is it a reasonable survival tool or something to use day to day. I think it does not completely satisfy either because of battery life, and the former because of waterproofing and no glow in the dark mark. Thankfully the batteries can be replaced easily so that's a plus, although they will run out a bit too often for my liking, I will still enjoy having this handy item to locate things in the winter darkness or as a back up, although I'd rather have two or three as a back up than one if going out into the wild. But it's not waterproof.

But the Petzl E-lite is certainly the other choice, and with its higher price (more than double!) comes a LOT higher specification. If you know anything else worth considering please leave a comment I want to try a few of these type of products.
22 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 February 2014
I have owned many keyring torches over the years and I'm always on the lookout for a good quality design.
This BG one is fairly good except that it has one major design flaw.
First the good points: It is of decent brightness; the battery is easy to change when flat; it seems fairly robust; and its main clever feature seems to be that it has the ability to auto-turn-off after a minute or so (whatever the duration is) thus saving the battery if accidentally left turned on.
However the main problem is that it turns on too easily by accident in your pocket or even in your hand if the button is gently pressed by a stray finger. All the designers need to do to remedy this problem is to make the button smaller, stiffer and perhaps recess it into the body slightly so it it becomes highly unlikely to turn on by accident. I keep mine on my keyring and I frequently find it turned on by accident just by handling my keys as I leave the car or approach the front door. This is such a shame because if it wasn't for the button turning on too easily I would happily have given this product 5 stars instead of 3.
on 27 February 2017
Small and very bright. Smaller than I expected. Fits on key ring or back of Bergen.
on 22 January 2017
Had to chase up but good product
on 4 April 2016
Got this on a lightning deal, but this is such a great item it's well worth the asking price.

I wanted a simple keychain light, but the output is so powerful on a high setting it can easily illuminate a pitch black room.

It has three functions: Low, high and strobe.

Another great item from the Bear Grylls range! If you're
on 7 March 2016
Bought this as a gift and it pushes out a surprising amount of light! I'd read reviews in which it was said that it's too easy to turn on leading to some pocket activation but my father has had this on his car-keys for a week or so now and says he's had no such issue.
Build quality is surprisingly good for such a small item, very light but feels well put together.
on 19 January 2017