on 28 May 2014
Book 2 in the series continues to be just as tasty as book one - maybe even more so because you jump right into the story (book one took a little while to get going IMHO). It's exciting, it's sexy, and the characters are great.

I would recommend you read book 1 first, however, as you really won't have a good enough grounding in the people and history if you attempt this as a standalone.

My only complaint (now I've just rushed out and bought book 3) is that I know I'm going to finish the series soon - I don't want it to end!
on 25 October 2012
Fantastic sequel, with a lot more supernatural happenings in it involving the Fey and Werewolves. This is a great series, with lots of plot twists and great characters. I would try to compare it to other stories that I have enjoyed, but to be honest, it is quite different to other vampire tales and very original. I definitely recommend you try it out. Absolutely love this series! My only complaint is the cliffhanger endings!!! What!! Leaves you absolutely panting for more!! - When is the next book out?!!! :)
on 8 November 2012
If I had just read her first book I would give it 4 stars but her most recent book I really didn't enjoy. I didn't like how her relationships ended in the final chapter. I am not sure if I will buy her next instalment coming soon. I think it will be a later buy when on offer, so that says it all really doesn't it?
on 15 January 2012
Having read Bewitching the Werewolf, a frustratingly short novella by Caroline Hanson and moving on to her full length novel Love is Darkness, I couldn't put the book down. More than just a typical supernatural love story, this had suspense, drama, history and depth of emotion. I couldn't wait to read the sequel, Love is Fear, and it didn't disappoint. I don't usually leave reviews, even when a book is great, because I often find people interpret books differently and we all look for separate things to entertain us in a story. I've bought many a book off of great reviews and been upset that I didn't enjoy them and bought others even though the reviews were lukewarm only to find myself enchanted.

This book, as a sequel, surpassed my expectations, building on the fast paced, high energy, disturbing world we'd been introduced to in the first. The detail, the love scenes, the brutality depicted in the fight scenes truly capture the imagination and have you turning the page at lightning pace, desperate to devour the content and reach the end (which leaves us in even more suspense than the first book). I don't really want to write about the plot though - what I want to write about is the characters. The author says this is not a YA novel because of the rather graphic sex scenes - for me it stood apart because of the complexity of the characters. This was not a typical love story, with a heroine, a hero/villain etc. Valerie is a character we can all identify with on different levels and I won't deny constantly hoping she'll survive the situations she gets herself into - but sometimes she can be so frustrating! A little whoreish, a little naive. And then she is just a girl that desperately wants to be loved and my heart aches for her all over again. As for the good guy - is Jack a good guy? For the majority of Love is Darkness I rooted for Jack, hoping he would overcome his bitterness and put Valerie first. In Love is Fear though, I won't deny that I wanted Lucas to kill him. Often. On the one hand, the reader totally understands how Jack feels, where his anger and rage stem from. On the other, the fact he's let it take him over, that he's lost himself (and his relationship with Valerie) to it, left a bitter taste in my mouth. As for Lucas, he is and isn't your typical bad boy - showing flashes of vulnerability and what might be real, tender emotions, along with his incredible beauty made me champion him in his pursuit of Valerie. But towards the end of Love is Fear, without giving too much away, he shocked and appalled me in a heartbreaking way. It wasn't anything physically violent, but the emotional betrayal behind his decisions leaves you wondering if there's anyone in the books Valerie can trust. She certainly can't trust Rachel, a mysterious character who adds interest and ensures Jack isn't a side character in the sequel.

I think what I'm trying to say with this review, was that after all the supernatural and YA novels I have read, this has far surpassed the majority of them. If you enjoy, sex, violence, supernatural creatures and twisted love stories, you won't need much persuading to give the Valerie Dearborn novels a try. But if that's not enough to convince you then let yourself be absorbed in the deep and complex characters, worrying at their decisions and the somewhat ominous consequences they have. I promise, you won't regret it!
on 2 July 2013
I won't give a run down of the story as I think that spoils it for the prospective reader. I will say that I have enjoyed the story so far immensely. I am just about to purchase Love Is Mortal, the next in the series, in the knowledge that this move will lead to yet another sleepless night. The main characters are brilliantly portrayed, the plot detailed and gripping, the writing excellent. Please don't miss this trilogy.
on 3 August 2013
Would highly recommend to everyone. I loved this series and went on to buy the next book in the series.
on 26 July 2012
This story messes with your head. It is so emotional and the plot so intricate that the physical bits are a welcome respite. (And I don't mean just the sex!!)
All those what ifs, how comes, will theys, did theys going round and round in my head! This is certainly one of those books that keeps you thinking well after the reading is done! Can't wait for the next in the series.....
on 18 December 2011
of course i loved it..its gold its a sequel to love is darkness which is also brilliant. caroline not only tells a good story but she writes beautifully.., lots of humour but also Lucas and Valerie talk about fireworks!! but i was left bereft.. what happens to lucas?? ahh.. i couldnt even sleep i slept at 3am trying to finish it.. keep up the good work caroline!!!
on 13 January 2012
This was amazing, I didn't think there was much more you could do with a book on Vampires, but this was fresh and a very enjoyable read. It was a worthy sequel to Love is Darkness. Can't wait for the next one to be come out, please let it be soon.
on 25 April 2012
Not as good a novel as i expected reading previous reviews. Instead of the 'graphic' parts being written romantically i thought it just came across as a bit filthy and impersonal. Storyline not bad tho and worth a read