on 13 February 2014
I first encountered Russell Blake when I took the first Jet book as a "freebie" since then I have read all the books in the Jet series and have now started on the "Assassin" series. Russell Blake has become, probably my favourite author and I eagerly look forward each new book.
on 26 April 2016
Easy read with sustained suspense and clever twists in the plot.
on 20 October 2013
Got a bit lost,in, who was who, but never the less I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and the intense and intricate setups.
Look forward to the next book. Many thanks
on 28 September 2014
Fab read
on 20 June 2012
I reviewed this book in my review of KING OF SWORDS. I read this book (Night of the Assassins)and immediately downloaded King of Swords. If you like gritty films like Pulp Fiction/The Godfather/Scarface etc you will love these books. Real page turners (well, page 'clickers' if you have a kindle).
on 6 March 2012
I found this an enjoyable action packed read, which worked well for me even though I have not read the main book, of which this is the prequel.

It is at times violent and bloody, but no more than a Tom Clancy.

The plot is credible and the main character has a lot of depth to him. I felt that I got to know him and his motivation quite well from this novel. If, as I understand it, the purpose of this prequel was to show those things - i.e. why he does what he does- then it is mission accomplished.

I will certainly look out for more of the same by this author.
on 24 June 2012
If I thought the main story was good then this prequel to it is outstanding.

Shows us how El Rey became who he is and why. A sort of anti hero bad guy who you can't help but wish success to.

Each page just flows easily in to the next and due to crafting of the tale it is hard to stop turning pages and put the damn kindle down!

I'll be looking for more from this author!

Highly recommended!
on 10 April 2012
Wow....Kindle have done it again. Another excellent read and a freebie. The character is believable and the book is a real page turner. I read it in one sitting and could simply not put it down. Download this book now !!! You will not be dissapointed..
on 17 February 2012
Because of a free download on Amazon I have discovered Russell Blake and Night of the Assassin. This would not have been the type of book I would normally read but Im so thankful that I did. Night of the Assassin is full of action and suspense. This is a real page turner and very hard to put down. I was very sorry to get to the end of Night of the Assassin and bought King of Swords to learn more about the main character. Night of the Assassin is a must read....I will be reading more from Russell Blake.
on 2 December 2012
The book opens with the deadly El Rey as he carries out his latest job - the assassination of a notorious drugs cartel boss aboard his luxury yacht, surrounded by a crack team of mercenaries. The book then switches to El Rey's childhood and explains the origin story behind one of Russell Blake's most brutal characters. El Rey is the product of a violent upbringing, terrible heartbreak and death. He's also the most deadly assassin the world has ever seen.

Night of the Assassin is the prequel to Blake's King of Swords trilogy (does this make it a quadrilogy? Four-ology? Quilogy? Tetralogy?) and charts the rise of El Rey as he strives to become the world's highest-paid assassin. Blake's plotting is tight and exhilirating, his writing style gritty and uncompromising. Blake doesn't pull any punches here, and there are several scenes that feature some very gruesome endings for the book's seemingly endless assassin-fodder. The book is roughly 55k words, so the average reader should get at least a few evenings' worth of edge-of-the-seat entertainment for their money (it's currently free on Amazon, so even better), which is one of the best deals you'll find on the kindle right now.

The story of El Rey is framed against the backdrop of Mexico's modern-day drug trafficking, and Blake slams the reader right into the middle of a bloody war for power, fought between rival factions of the country's power-elite. It's doubtful you'll shed a tear for the quickly-dispatched drug lords, but there were some very emotional scenes early on as Blake focuses on the impact of the violence on innocent families. You will quickly find yourself rooting for El Rey as he carries out his work with a cold, ruthless efficiency, and the book will leave you desperate for more. Thankfully, there are three more books to devour and possibly a fourth on the way.

If you're a fan of raw, unflinching thrillers, you'll find this book offers you everything you could possibly want. If you're new to the genre, this is a great place to start. Just make sure you've got a free weekend ahead of you, as you'll struggle to put this one down.