on 28 March 2013
High sample rate gives better positioning at high speed. It lasts ages on one charge - it is designed to turn off if it doesn't see a connection within a couple of minutes of starting - I thought it was faulty until I worked this out. You need to work out how to mate it with your device because the instructions aren't brilliant and the customer service takes an age and isn't very helpful. When you get it going and understand the way it's programmed re mating up etc - it's fine.
on 26 February 2014
Delivery of the Dual XGPS150 was very prompt. I had read there are 2 versions, a 150A (America) and 150E (Europe) My conclusion is that they are the same device. Mine is a 150A and works fine in the UK. I've used this GPS twice and so far I'm very impressed. I'm using it for hiking in the UK with the latest iPod. Unfortunately the iPod doesn't come with GPS, so you either have to buy a plug in GPS like Bad Elf (more expensive) or one that works using bluetooth.

The Dual XGPS150 is very small and light, so it fits easily into a jacket or rucksack pocket. There is a small switch on the side of the device which needs setting for Android or Apple devices. The default is set for Apple, so I didn't have to change it.

Switching on the Dual at first was a little tricky, as you have to apply pressure to the top of the device for 3 seconds. I found it needed some pressure from my thumb to hold down, but this is probably not a bad idea as it avoids accidently switching on or off the device when it's in your pocket.

After I had switched on the XGPS150 I switched on my iPod bluetooth connection. The two devices paired very quickly. I'm using Ordnance Survey maps of the UK National Parks at a scale of 1:25 000, downloaded using the 'Outdoors App'. These are offline maps so scrolling is instantaneous.

I have found the XGPS150 to be very accurate and really helpful for navigation. After a full charge (2 and a half hours) the XGPS150 was showing 45% battery left after 5 hours of hiking.

I also downloaded the Dual App, though you don't have to do this to use the device. However the App usefully shows you satellites, battery status, latitude, longitude and altitude.

So far, so good. I'm very pleased. But a word of warning if you are thinking of buying this product elsewhere. Initially I ordered the XGPS150 from an internet company called 'Proviation'. Do not buy from this company as it appears to be a rogue internet company. I did not receive the device and I'm still trying to get my money back. In contrast Oasis Pilot and Amazon have been great.

I'd like to add another warning. If you are using a wifi only iPad or iPod DO NOT upgrade your Apple operating software to OS8.3, released in April 2015. There is a bug which stops the Dual GPS device from working with map Apps when using Bluetooth. I'm hoping Apple are working on a fix as OS8.3 has rendered my Dual GPS as useless.

I can now add that since Apple updated their software my Dual GPS works fine again, and I have now upgraded to OS9 and can confirm it works ok.
on 18 January 2013
Having now used various GPS systems for 20 years on the ground and in the air I can say that this is a superb product owing to the technological improvements. The bluetooth set up between the Ipad and XGPS was completed in moments ( enable bluetooth on IPad, wait moments for it to discover the GPS and then prod the relevant device discovered). The free App also indicates all the usual information such as Lat, Long, speed, satellites found and strength and much more).
Having read the reviews on many of these new portable Blue Tooth GPS devices, they all look pretty good though some were criticised for a non positive on/off switch. This GPS has a very positive switch which would be difficult to set by accident. The biggest plus points for me are the speed which it acquires, it 's diminutive size and good battery life. It also recharges very quickly. It arrives with a quality rubber holder which has a grippy surface and is designed to be thrown on your dashboard without slipping and it works.. It also has a strap that allows it to be worn or strapped to an object. Naturally the cable and charger all work.
I am very pleased with this product and have had it working with CoPilot nav system ( in my case) it updates very quickly..excellent..
on 7 September 2013
A nicely compact gizmo. Works brilliantly with iPad navigation apps. I went through a short period when I thought is was malfunctioning. I have found it necessary to disconnect Bluetooth, COMPLETELY power-off the iPad, power-on and start again; but having got used to this routine, it appears to be working excellently. Without this 'niggle', definitely 5 star. The DUAL GPS Status Tool is a very useful app. to go with it.
on 29 September 2013
Accidentally bought the wrong I Pad to help with your Navigation??????
This excellent device answers the problem and some.
Need to power the Ipad to use at Helm but apart from that small inconvenience, for Pilotage and En-route navigation this is Gr8 if you don't have the 1000000000's of pounds worth of Raymarine,Garmin, etc. at your fingertips.⛵
Having purchased a non 4G WiFi only iPad, and then trying to use a Naviotronics navigation app, I quickly realised that the non-4G models don't have a GPS receiver. What to do?

This Dual external received was the answer. It connects to the iPad via bluetooth, and once paired the program run like a dream. Easy set-up, and easy to use.

I keep the receiver inside the cabin of my boat, where it has no trouble pickling up satellites, and the iPad happily sits in the cockpit telling me where I am. Perfect.

I have to praise the seller too. My first unit inexplicably failed after 11 months of use - it was replaced the next day without any problems. Thank you, Dual, too, for the concerns you voiced and the help you offered.
on 21 December 2013
I was debating wether to buy a GPS unit or not but there aren't many out there for cycling. With the brilliant map app I have on my ipad and the investment in digital maps for it I went for this instead. I am not disappointed. It was easy to set up and I have used it for walking and cycling and found it to interact with my maps perfectly. It is very accurate in its abbility to get a signal even under trees. The unit holds enough charge for a full days exploring and it doesnt sap the battery on the ipad either All I want now is to justify buying a mini ipad, that would be better for when I'm out on the bike.
on 17 April 2013
Was looking for a GPS receiver for an Ipad2 (wifi only) but also wanted the versatility to be able to use with other devices. The XGPS fits the bill perfectly. The unit itself is roughly 2 inches (50mm) square, comes with a cigar lighter USB adapter, long USB cable, arm strap and rubber non-slip mat, the device is lightweight. Once charged, about an hour using a mains USB charger, switched on and paired with the Ipad straight away - make sure the switch under the USB flap is switched to Apple devices. When near a window in the house, or under the windscreen of a car, it picks up satellites quickly. Download the Dual XGPS150 app from Apple store - free - to view status of the device. I've used this device with Inavx marine navigation software - use the Ipad as a chart plotter on our boat - and with Google maps for in car navigation both works great.

Overall simple device that works very well.
on 19 November 2014
Yes, bought this to use with my iPad when on holiday and travelling. It's excellent and does a grand job. Together with a good app on my iPad I can use as an accessory instead of having to take my dedicated SatNav with me.
A good piece of kit, battery life is sufficient for my needs and works very well indeed. Like most mobile products you need to switch off when not in use to preserve the battery but that really goes without saying.
on 9 March 2013
Switch to change from apple to non apple fell off after less than a few changes! Inadequate design, I,m afraid!