Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Paloma Faith Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 26 February 2012
There's no question that having uncharted as a start up game for the vita is a great thing, it's able to show off it's capable visuals and how much it can actually handle.

First off, visuals are lovely, but then i'd expect nothing less from a handheld console costing the same as a PS3. (even more with memory cards etc) Crisp visuals, lighting is exceptional.

The gameplay is what you expect from Uncharted, lots of climbing to get to places, mini puzzles, clues, gun play, cover system. It's all there from the Ps3 version. What's been added is to use the Ps vita new functions.. I.e Using it's motion tech, Lots of touch screen moments to swipe at or removing dust from an old item.

The voice acting is as good as ever. It's very believable, sounds great.

However.. The reason it doesn't get 5*s for me is of 2 reasons..

1.) There is no multiplayer functionality at all. So it's disappointing in a sense that you can't try out the wifi. No leader boards no nothing.
2.) Despite having cracking visuals.. I couldn't help but feel slightly let down at the Fps on screen. Moments in the jungle mainly, where the screen feels slow when aiming to shoot someone, almost like a hint of slow motion.

Overall it's a great starting Vita game. I would recommend to any uncharted fan ofcourse, but also anyone considering purchasing the Vita, and wondering which game to buy.
22 Comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 September 2012
As an Xbox 360 owner this is the first Uncharted game that I have played and WOW!

Amazing blend of stunning graphics, shoot em up, puzzles and tactical take downs.

Brilliant!

I was so hooked on this game I couldn't put it down, my only concern is what to play next as the rest of the PS Vita games line up still looks weak.

Best game out there on this console by far.
on 30 April 2012
Wow.

This game is quite honestly a stellar launch title.

Hopefully you will have played some of the Uncharted series before to truly appreciate how good this game really is. But if you haven't, then this prequel may be the perfect place to start, as asside from the Vita specific moments, this really is a fully awesome console game on your handheld.

Uncharted Golden Abyss has been produced by BEND studio, not series creators Naughty Dog. Usually when this sort of thing happens with a game series bad things happen, different developers tend to go their own way with a series and sometimes ruin a formula by trying too hard to be different. Not here.

BEND have stayed very faithful to the Uncharted series, they have created a game that stands proudly along side Uncharted: Drake's Fortune in terms of gameplay, graphics and a very well realised story. The game and story flows very well and does a great job of engrossing you, I have already decimated a couple of charges playing through. The graphics are, in a word-stunning. Everything looks quite lovely and animations are great. The sound design is also very pleasing. The occasional score drops in and out depending on what's happening, and is rousing in places and befitting of the adventure taking place. Without it the game world is audiably alive! The voice acting is on par with the series, and of very good quality, as is most of the script.

The only minor negative for the game are some of the shoe-horned in motion/touch controls to make use of the Vita's hardware. I say minor, because they are fine, well implemented mechanics, but some (Balancing, swiping to fight) do pull you out of the game a little rather than immerse you, they in no way break the game, but would be better to be optional as aiming is. There are some of these features that are spot on however ]: like the multiple charchoal rubbings, cleaning artifacts and piecing together torn pages. One section where you have to 'hold a parchment up to a bright light' brought a smile to my face too I must say.

This isn't a particularly 'on the go' game for me though, not really fit for bite-sized playing, though the Vita's ability to suspend gameplay would come in handy in this regard. If you have a decent lunch break or long commute however it's ideal. The only thing possibly missing in Golden Abyss (other than multiplayer, which is absolutely not needed here) are the spectacular set-pieces from the PS3 games, but don't let that ditract from an otherwise cracking game.

I'm currently just over half way through the game, with a fair few bits and bobs to go back and root out if I like. There is also a treasure map download pack (£0.79 I think) that you get get from the store if you want to ensure that you get all of the goodies first time round or if you've missed any along the way.

It's certainly keeping me hooked-and I want to see how the story unfolds and learn more of the fictional history on offer!

If you have a Vita, like adventure, stunning graphics, good sounds, shooting bad guys, finding treasure and showing off just how good a handheld game can be, get this game.
on 10 September 2012
I was initially a bit anxious to play this game, as prior to playing this game, I had not played any of the uncharted series. I was concerned that there would be parts of the story or general dialogue that would refer heavily to the PS3 series. However, this is not the case. Since playing the uncharted games on PS3, after completing this one, it can be said that there are some connections and characters that cross over, however this game does not follow on from uncharted 3, which for me was perfect.

This game is absolutely perfect in terms of playability and enjoyment, as if you are new to the series, or a die hard fan of the original trilogy there are aspects that will please both parties equally.

In terms of game play this game is no different to the PS3 series, however with added front and rear touch screen I feel that the general gaming experience is definitely enhanced. With touch screen etc on the vita, I was a bit worried that they would over do the use of these new controls, however this is not the case. The use of the vita's features in this game is perfect. There is not too much of it, but enough to keep you interested. The best touch screen features in this game I feel are the charcoal rubbings and puzzle sorting. Not too fussed on the use of the touch screen in close combat, however you can chose to not use it too much.

In terms of Graphics, I feel that for the vita and even in terms of PS3 standards, the visuals are stunning. Some people have complained about the frame rate dropping and the game appearing to move in slow motion at times, however I have not found this to be an issue (maybe a recent update has sorted it out). The colours are rich and vibrant, which definitely will help if you intend to play this game on your vita outdoors.

In terms of story, this game is great, the characters are likeable and the voice acting is superb. As with the PS3 series this game will have you hooked and at times having you forget that you're actually playing a game and not just sat back enjoying a CG movie.

As this game was a launch title, you may have expected it to be of a poorer standard than your average PS3 game, but this was definitely not the case. This game is brilliant and I can't wait for the next vita instalment!

If they can do this as a launch title, PS Vita is likely to have a very long and successful life as a console!!

Five Stars!! *****
on 23 February 2012
What a great way to showcase the Vita's power and excellent controls, Uncharted does it with great panache and fantastic graphics/cut-scenes. As a launch title the production values in this game are sky high, from the incidental detail like clouds scrolling slowly across the beautiful jungle, to the stunning high resolution textures. Also the game slowly introduces you to the PSV's awesome controls, so you learn how to move/look/aim and shoot with the dual nubs, to sliding your finger across the gorgeous OLED screen to direct Nathan as he climbs up ledges, to using the gyro sensor and tilt features. The only small criticism is the sound from the PSV's speakers are rather underwhelming so I just plugged in a good set of Philips with bass boost.

Overall a great game that is well worth buying and enjoying, also due to the Live Area you will get updates to it that will extend replayability. There are a lot of treasures and extras to uncover as you progress in the game. Also the load times are good and much better than its predecessor the PSP and its slow UMD drive, the Vita's solid state carts are much better. You can access the game manual from the Live Area by tapping the 'lifebelt' icon at the top of the screen, and you can do this at any time, just press the PS key to switch in and out of the app.
on 16 February 2015
Uncover the dark secret behind the 400-year-old massacre of a Spanish expedition as Nathan Drake follows the murderous trail of an ancient and secret Spanish sect in Uncharted: Golden Abyss. Caught in the middle of a rivalry between Jason Dante -- his old friend -- and Marisa Chase -- the granddaughter of an archaeologist who has mysteriously vanished without a trace -- Nathan Drake races into the treacherous river basins, undiscovered temple ruins and karst caverns of Central America in search of a legendary lost city, only to find himself pushed to the edge of the Golden Abyss.

I don't mean to sound like I'm being hypercritical of Uncharted: Golden Abyss. The game is great and an impressive launch title for the PlayStation Vita. It's just that the Uncharted series has been known for being a story-driven experience, and Golden Abyss goes in another direction. It's a beautiful, fun game with tons of collectibles, plenty of laughs, and some cool twists on a franchise PlayStation fans know so well. It's just not an instant classic like the other entries in the series. Still, not too shabby for Sony Bend's first crack at the Uncharted legacy.
on 28 February 2012
What I really love about playing this is the control interface on the vita. You can use the buttons for everything, but it's far more fun to use the touchscreen with the buttons, letting you do actions with precision, and makes the game so much more enjoyable in my opinion. I can vouch for the other reviews in that the graphics, presentation, puzzles, action, everything it seems are spot on, one of the best games I've played on any system! Worth the money!
Oh yeah, the game is over 3gb I think, so much better to purchase here, as downloading it will just take up a lot of space on your expensive vita memory card...
on 1 March 2012
This is the only game I've got on the Vita at the moment.....the problem is will anything else afterwards be as good?
This game is amazing! I did have my doubts at first, being a handheld game, but its all there: the action, the puzzles, climbing, the witty dialogue, the story and also importantly for the Vita - the graphics!
Unlike PSP games this certainly has the length of play that a normal PS3 game would have.

I won't go into too much depth as other reviewers have already done that....perhaps the games only downside in no MP, but Uncharted is all about SP really, so I can't knock it for that.

In conclusion - if you only want or can get one game on the Vita, make it this one!
I pretty much bought the Vita for this game and it didn't dissapoint.
I'm just waiting for other big titles like Silent Hill now, resistance etc.....
on 28 June 2012
I'm a massive fan of the Uncharted series so far and when I heard a PS Vita version was in the works I was pretty excited. When I later heard that Naughty Dog were not going to be on development duties my expectations instantly dropped. The resulting game developed by Bend met most of my expectations without ever reaching the heights that I was hoping for.

The first thing I noticed after starting the game were the visuals. It really does show off the Vita's capabilities and coming so early in the machines life bodes well for future titles. It really is stunning to look at. The gameplay initially felt a little twitchy but after a while I got to grips with it and at times really enjoyed the game. Drake, as ever, is a fantastic character and is voice acted superbly. Sully also returns (albeit late in the game) but the other supporting characters are really not on a par. Dante and Chase are typical cliches of those that came before in the Uncharted series. I really wish more had been done to flesh out the characters and add something new.

I quickly grew tired of the games constant use of touch controls. Stroking the screen to break through a wall (and then watching the exact same animation of bricks falling each time) and piecing together maps, photos and other paraphernalia becomes mundane fast. During fight scenes you are asked to swipe in one or two directions in order to execute a finishing move, sometimes these swipes are not recognised by the Vita and can result in a death. The boss fights in particular really overuse this feature. I think it's safe to say that with this aspect my worst fears for the game were met. If you're planning on playing in the dark there is also a part where you will need to get up and turn on a light, most annoying when you're playing in bed and don't want to disturb anyone else.

The game relies heavily on climbing and shooting and sometimes with shooting while climbing but very little else in between. The few puzzles are not puzzling, there are no big set pieces, no vehicle sections or any real stand out moments in the whole game. It really is a dumbed down attempt at an Uncharted game. The AI is poor at best, enemies just stand there while you shoot them and rarely (if ever) seek cover. Guns are seriously unbalanced with some of the hand guns being one hit kills (regardless of where you hit your target) while some of the larger machine guns take many many hits to bring down your foe, even at close range. Ammunition for your weapons is also not a concern, on the few occasions I did run out (while hanging from a ledge etc) the game simply gives you some more. Presumably Drake has some squirreled away on his person for just such an eventuality. I would highly recommend starting the game on the Hard setting from the off, it doesn't offer too much of a challenge (even for an average player like myself) but on Regular it's just far too easy.

While I have mostly focused on the negative elements here it's not all bad. Despite my criticism I did enjoy playing through the game (enough to play through it twice). I had fun while Uncharted: Golden Abyss lasted but it's no classic. It's an average game at best, sometimes average is good enough.
on 23 May 2013
Uncharted Golden Abyss is in my opinion the best game I have so far found for the vita. Many hours of game play with excellent graphics.