on 30 May 2012
Same incredible sound as the D1 and D2 cards (no noticeable difference). Excellent W764 drivers and audio interface. Built-in headphone amp. HD audio connector for front panel mic and headphone ports. EQ and EAX effects applied to input signal with absolutely no interference (great for plugging in game consoles or other devices). Amazing clarity at high volumes. Perfect for music, movies and games.

In my quest for the ideal sound card, I've used Creative, Turtle Beach, HT Omega, Diamond Xtreme 7.1, and Auzentech (all sold here), but I kept coming back to the Xonar.

I have the audio from my 360, PS3, and Roland drum kit running into my sound cards, so this was important. Absolutely no interference with the DG's line-in. As stated above, EQ and EAX effects also apply to the line-in signal; a feature very few cards out there have. Most just allow audio pass-through. So I'm pretty psyched about the DG.

I just can't believe what appears to be a stripped down version totally holds its own against the more expensive Xonar cards, or any of the others I've mentioned for that matter. For a 2.1 or 5.1 setup, there's little reason to go any other route. I'm not an audiophile; more like an audio aficionado. And I highly recommend the Xonar DG.
on 6 April 2013
For this price, there's really nothing you can argue with. I'm listening to my music and i'm hearing so much more detail in my music than I did with my old set-up. Music now sounds crisper and there is far more bass which I really like!

However, I wanted to use a S/PDIF cable with my new sound card and was frustrated after first turning my computer on after installing the card that I was getting no sound. This is because in the 'Asus Xonar DG Audio Center' software that comes on the disc you need to enable the 'S/PDIF Out' box in the settings panel (even though it made no mention of it in the quick start guide).
on 29 January 2012
the asus xoner DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card, for the money ie under £25, you can't get a better sound card, its allmost as good as my other sound card at other 3 times the price, I bought this one just to try it on a old pc that my sister was throwing out,to see if i could use this for music only (flac,wav)in a stipped down version of xp i've done and almost fan less pc with low power etc, and it sounds petty good for under £30 that I've spent on it, almost as good as a £500 cd player but with hard drive and I've still got some more tweaking todo. A highly recommended sound card for throws on a low budget.
on 22 November 2012
Bought this due to buzzing noises when using on-board sound. I wasn't expecting much due to the low price, but I was pleasantly surprised when I first plugged myself in and fired up BF3. Everything sounded crisper and mp3s sounded that little bit better.

Don't get me wrong the improvement over on-board sound was fantastic, but for the audiophile amongst us you may be better off getting a more expensive fancy card that has all the bells and whistles. For the Joe Bloggs who want a step up from the on-board sound without breaking the bank then this is the card for you.
on 21 January 2013
My system:

ASRock extreme MB, 2xGTX670's, I7 and Windows 8.

I installed this device between the gfx cards so it's a bit snug in there but seems ok, I got the drivers from the website (I never bother with install discs anyway) and after restarting windows (Win8 doesn't do a proper shutdown and the card wasn't recognized to begin with) I was able to install the drivers and get some sound.

Several things I noted (I am by no means an expert on such matters of sound quality)

1. It seems to put out a stronger signal than my onboard (There is a 64ohm headphone setting which was very useful)
2. it seems the sound is more lively and brighter (I'm not sure how else to describe this)

I got this because I have meniers and I need more volume than you normally seem to get these days and I need balance control (in every sense :) ) and and this card delivered both quite nicely. And you get the equalizer which was also handy, So I now my headphones are sounding great once again (To me at least) .

ASUS isn't a company I would normally use due to prior bad experience, but this bit of hardware (If it remains reliable) has gone a long way to restoring my faith in them.
on 30 January 2013
Excellent product at a great price. I didn't expect any sound improvement over my previous sound card as this card is at the cheaper end of the market. However the all round sound is a definite improvement over my old more expensive sound blaster.
I didn't need a full surround sound system card , so didn't see the need in paying out a lot more money for one that would never get used for surround sound.
A great product that came with two fixing plates a mini version and the normal standard full pc size.
Well done Asus.
on 21 May 2012
I had been having trouble with the on-board sound of my PC. This card installed straight out of the box with no problems. The driver disk worked fine too. I am using Windows 7 64bit Ultimate.
on 24 October 2013
What I like
- Much improved headphone sound output
- Improved output level to speakers (not a massive difference in quality)

What I dislike
- Optical output only 2 channel (pointless)
- Software is annoying
- Spotty detection of headphone removal

The main reason I purchased this card was for the headphone amp output and for this reason alone I would recommend the purchase as it has a vastly superior headphone output than my on board sound. I was looking at purchasing a dedicated headphone amp but in my price range there was little that I would have spent money on so an upgrade to my sound card seem like the way to go, this would also create less clutter.

Once the card was installed my system with software installed it was just a matter of configuring my output. As this has a built in headphone amp it is wise to ensure you are outputting the correct level of power to drive your cans, this is done via the hammer icon next to the analog out drop down when headphones are selected. There are three options to choose from less than 32ohms, 32~60ohms and over 60ohms, once you know your headphone rated impedance (40 ohms in my case) select the correct setting and away you go.

The output level to my headphones was vastly superior once running correctly and as such I was able to run the volumes at a much reduced level. The sound stage was more dynamic and there was much better range. the only points of caution I would issue is that due to the high volume levels achievable be careful when you let the kids loose on the headphones and when changing headphones ensure you have the correct impedance level set.

Overall Perfect
For a headphone user looking for better sound with more oomph, only a minor upgrade over the standard outputs for amp driven sound (through my amp anyway). Don't expect the optical out to be much use (stereo PCM only).
on 8 January 2014
Brilliant sound quality for the price. One of the very few (if only) cheaper versions of the Xonar series that includes a built in headphone amp.

Hardware sound and software are brilliant. However the installation is horribly buggy. Many times the "Trust Hardware Manufacturer" window that pops up on Windows Operating Systems will flash on the screen and disappear, thus not giving people enough time to ever click it, therefore the installation progress bar drags on for ages until eventually it times out and claims that you either haven't plugged the device in or you should retry. To bypass this problem you must uninstall any audio drivers that were automatically installed for the card (if any) and removed the software. Then you must reboot the system and press F7 prior to the Windows loading screen to select the option to boot into safe mode. In safe mode you should be able to install the drivers and software without issue.

The next problem and this is why I took my review down from a massive 5 stars, is due to the way the mic handling is done. The mic on the Asus Xonar DG is notoriously quiet. Many people have complained about the quiet mic problems on the Xonar DG (separate issue from Front Panel mic being selected by default). It is a true shame there was no amp for the MIC, because it definitely needs it. When the boost option is selected it brings it up from practically inaudible to barely audible. Another thing is that Windows is partly to blame and it detects the Xonar DG mic port and/or headset as a dual channel input mic, when it isn't - I'm unsure if this has an effect but it probably doesn't help.

The software doesn't have any useful boot properties in itself and there are far more flexible options which present themselves in the Speaker / Microphone options in the Windows Audio Panel on more modern integrated Realtek and SoundMax chips which is an awful shame considering the lack of flexibility on the boost option for the Xonar (it is tick box, not a slider).

One possible workaround for some people is enabling AEC (Acoustic Echo Cancellation). However this changes any headphone / surround set up to 2 channel only. Disables the EQ and forces 2 speakers only when it is enabled and even then it doesn't work for many people.

ASUS drivers are still buggy and a little disappointing and their 64 bit drivers aren't that great either. Their last update was way back in 2013 and that was to address Russian and Chinese languages. No other updates are probably because it is one of their lower end products (as good as it is), whilst those who spent a lot more are obviously the priority.

Windows 7 and Windows 8 are also partly to blame for the way mics are handled. Quiet mics on Windows 7 with boost enabled is a problem on other audio cards as well as the Xonar, but it is clear that both are partly to blame for lack of support / updates and improvements to the audio software (from ASUS) or the way the hardware is interpreted on Windows.

I'd avoid this... regardless of how cheap it is if you want comfortably loud, clear mic output. If you're not bothered about mic output volume and don't use a headset but instead use a USB mic or webcam microphone over USB, then by all means, enjoy the better audio processing quality.
on 18 September 2012
I've had lots of trouble getting the DGX (PCI-E) version of this card to work with my motherboard (ga-z77-d3h (i tried 2 DGXs and both didn't work properly and it's highly unlikely that both were faulty; more likely something wrong with my pci-e slots)), so I bit the bullet and ordered this PCI version. It's currently working perfectly and I couldn't be happier. For anyone wondering why there are two DG cards for sale, the other one (ASUS Xonar DG PCI 5.1 Audio Card) comes with the retail box, this one does not (plain OEM plastic bag with everything in it (card obviously in an anti-static bag though).

This card is definitely worth the £25 and I highly recommend it (or the DGX, if PCI slot availability on your board is limited or whatever) to anyone using onboard graphics. Currently using this card with JVC HA-RX700 Deep Bass Headphones and Speedlink Spes Clip-On Microphone, everything sounds amazing. It's very good for gaming, music and movies alike; I use different settings for each so it's all down to preference.

The only negative thing I can say about this card is that it has very bad Linux support, there are no ASUS-made drivers nor source released for Linux, so card configuration is extremely limited (no dolby headphone, no virtual speaker positioning or anything of the sort).