on 13 November 2014
Disappointed with the quality of images in the kindle version. I thought it would be useful to read this book on ipad but the download quality of the images is very poor! I am not sure if this is the same for everyone or a faulty download for me! The text is ok but for a book on photography, such poor image quality is unacceptable. I wish I had put the money towards the printed version. No criticism of Tony Northrup - I enjoy his You Tube videos.
55 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 July 2015
It is great book from great author ... Helped me a lot ... To the point , no philosophy , very practical
55 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 June 2016
This book is very good.
What i love most about it is that, when you register your purchase on Tony's sdp website, you are given the choice of downloading electronic copy of the book you purchased (doesn't matter whether you bought it from Tony's website or elsewhere, as long as you can validate your purchase).

And then, you download the pdf book which means you can read the electronic format anywhere, at your convenience.
review image
on 10 February 2016
I have been taking photos for many years using point and shoot, and bridge cameras, having recently upgraded to my very first DSLR I thought it was worth the time and effort to learn how to control my new camera. So having seen may of Tony's videos on YouTube and the many attached adverts for his book (and having learnt a lot but in a very disjointed way) I decided to take the leap and buy the book.

The first thing to say is that I was not at all disapointed with my purchase. I have taken my time and read this book from front to back. The book is well layed out and leads you through the many topicks in a natural and inteligent way. At the end of each chapter there is a quiz, don't worry its just for fun,but at the same time challenges you to put what you have just learned into practice, then after that there are a list of practicle tasks which help you to reinforce what you have learned and take it to the next level, developing your skills as you go.

Whilst I know this is only the begining of the journey I have chosen I know that thanks to Tony & Chelsea my Photos will improve through practical knowlege and the use of the lessons learned, and not so much through luck. I would happily recomend that anyone who is starting out, or is looking for help improving their photography, should try this book.
on 21 August 2015
I have a lot of respect for clever people. That includes people like Bill Gates, Bob Dylan, Steve Jobs, Warren Buffett and now thanks to Tony & Chelsea Northrup, I'm a little bit cleverer too.

Out of the hundreds of photography books I've bought and read over the years, I can say, hand on heart, that this has got to be one of very few you will actually learn something from. It doesn't matter what level of experience you have, there's something here for everyone. Even if it's just a refresher course, everyone will gain something from this book. Buy this book with confidence and let Tony shine his light on you too. You certainly won't regret the investment. You can take that to the bank.
on 9 November 2017
It is a really decent book, but it's seriously shallow. Barely scratches the surface and really skips over a couple of fundamental areas. It should be really listed as a beginners book.

Can't fault it too much though, it does what it sets out to do, in most cases. Couple of chapters are a bit lacking.

This is a book for people who've just picked up a camera and have no idea how to use it and want to have just a basic understanding to take some nice holiday or family pictures. If you want to work in Photography maybe give it a quick read but quickly graduate onto other books.

It's a training wheels approach to photography. Which is my issue lays, it doesn't go above and beyond the call. It sits comfortably within the confines of only telling you the absolute basics. It has that jack of all trades, master of none feel to it.
Everything's going to be explained a little bit, but nowhere near to the point where you're going to have an actual comprehensive understanding of anything.

If you're a beginner, you should absolutely read this..
If you've been about photography for a while you should really avoid this, unless you want to learn something you may have missed.
on 27 March 2015
Wow I cannot recommend Tony Northrup's books highly enough. I have this one plus his one on adobe lightroom 5. Not only are they excellent they allow you to join his facebook page as well as his private stunning digital photography community. Apart from all the knowledge and learning in the books you can get advice and help on gear, your own photos (you can choose how gentle it is) and help others as well as chat. For example I posted a question about lenses and in 30mins I had 20 helpful suggestions from other photographers. The books come with QR links (or web address links) to a host of videos that back up the tutorials in the book which are very helpful and Tony and his wife Chelsea are just so friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Honestly you buy a book (or a few) and you become part of a community - I think it is fantastic and am so pleased I bought them. You get discount if you want to buy webspace to show off your photos and Tony even shows you how to set one up. I am positive if you buy these books you wont be disappointed. Chelsea makes a massive contibution too so you get 2 experts opinions for the price of one!
on 14 October 2017
I have just started out in DSLR photography, having decided that, although my phone is convenient for quick "snaps", I needed to go further in producing photographs that I would be proud to look back on in years to come; and this book is a " must have". Tony Northrup has an inimitable way of explaining different aspects of photography in a simple and concise way without being condescending to the beginner. Every situation you are likely to find yourself in is covered and is accompanied by links to hours of free, downloadable video. There is a very comprehensive list of content, enabling you to quickly find expert guidance and tips on day and night time photography, from weddings and sunsets to photographing fireworks and the night sky. If you are more advanced in your photography, it covers advice on how to use computer software to enhance your images and produce professional results. All this for such an extremely low price, I don't think I will ever need to buy another digital photography guide! Brilliant!
on 19 March 2014
This is a great book and worth every penny.

Tony has embraced the digital age and throughout the book there are links to videos where he demonstrates the techniques described within the book. This helps mix up the book from pure reading and as a consequence keeps the reader engaged. At the end of each chapter is the standard recap of all the key elements of the chapter, but to re-enforce the learning there are some online tests that the reader can take. Again mixing up the engagement with the reader.

What’s also great about this book is that it’s continually updated and that these updates will not have to cost any more money. I applaud Tony for this. Most other books will have to be re-purchased when new editions are released. Beyond the book itself there are user communities on both facebook and a dedicated forum. Once you have purchased the book, simply provide proof of purchase to Tony and he’ll grant you access to both. You are not only buying a book – you are buying into an active, supportive community.

For the £5 this book cost me (kindle edition) it’s outstanding value. It’s well thought out, the content is good and balanced up with mixed media. It’s a true digital photographers book in a digital age.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 October 2016
This really is a steal. At less than the price of a good photography magazine you simply can't go wrong - Book, Video's and access to website, what's not to like. I read this book on my Kindle Fire so was able to link straight to the many video's that are included as I went along. Being something of a newbie to photography I have to admit that at times reading this book was like Information Overload. There is so much to take in. But I don't think that's a bad thing as every subject related to digital photography appears to be covered here. And as you gain experience with the camera you can always go back over something at a later date if not fully understood first time around. And if you go on to register your book that will give you access to their private Facebook page - Stunning Digital Photography Readers. So much for so little. As I said - A Steal.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse