Customer reviews

on 18 March 2012
This was a speculative download as I knew nothing about the Author and in all honesty if I had looked at his Amazon page this would probably not have jumped out at me!

So this was a lucky find.... Super "Future Warfare" fiction. Enough new tech and intriguing politics to generate interest, but better still was the good old fashioned plot and the interesting characters. £3-4 well spent!!
on 18 July 2017
Only halfway through it but thoroughly enjoying the book.
on 1 February 2012
This book starts out well, a fast moving war epic with great characters and a brilliant plot. I can't wait for vaughn to write another as this timeline/future has me well hooked and isn't a million lies away from what may happen in the next thirty years. More please :)
on 13 April 2012
I've always enjoyed Clancy et all's "techno thriller" books but with the end of the Cold War the new terrorist and drug gang story lines really didn't cut it for me - I wanted proper full on WAR!

Now, all those years later Mr Heppner comes along with something absolutely to my tastes.

Don't be put off with the odd looking cover or that its only available as an e-book, this is a cracking tale the likes of which we haven't seen in a long old time.

You've got political intrigue in the Chinese politburo, you've got super high tech weaponry, massed combat on land, sea, air and in space... its all here and I couldn't put it down at all, I just HAD to keep going.

The only problem is the end of the story... it simply just fizzles out with the Chinese forces left in Alaska and the Chairman deciding to have another go when the Chinese Navy is stronger (presumably 20 years from that point in time, it takes a long time to build up fleets) and then the author expounds us to talk about it and then he might write some more follow on stories about Chinese military imperialism.

Thats pretty naff, it needs a better more rounded, plausible ending than that.

I suppose thats why its only an e-book - this is the first "e only" title I've ever read btw.

Still, all the pages up to the end were cracking, so on a value per page basis its still excellent, but I can't help but feel all books need to have a proper ending.
on 4 April 2013
I don't know anything about the author but, having read this book, its clear that he must have a healthy understanding of military life in sub-zero temperatures. The conflict that he has constructed between China and the United States is very vividly portrayed. The writing style is fast-paced. The rationale for the war is realistically explained. No heroes emerge on either side: no out-of-this-world "Rambo" types.

On the downside, the main characters were a little one dimensional and lacked development. It was hard to identify with those involved in the story and I suppose I never found myself caring as to their fate - and, in a tragic war setting, I really should have been drawn into whatever motivation drove them. The emphasis is on the heavy artillery combat rather than person-to-person exchanges. Also, although the novel was set over a 5-month period, this fact came as a bit of a surprise to me; the time period felt more like 5-days, resulting in some confusion at times.

Overall, this is an OK read. It will appeal to anyone who enjoys learning how heavy artillery works in action. I will eventually read the next book in the series but I'm in no great hurry.
on 18 September 2015
This is a wider ranging modern warfare novel, that is up there with the likes of Red Storm Rising (Tom Clancy) and Vortex (Larry Bond). Set in the near future it has a good mix of real weaponry and futuristic technology which the author blends together well. The action scenes were well delivered, with pace and yet were able to retain the detail necessary to visual the battles taking place.
If I was to be critical of one aspect of the novel it would with some of the character interactions which seem to undergo large transformations with no little justification. One is example of this is Anna a mid level bureaucrat working for the National Security Advisor as a ‘China expert’. She tries to alert the National Security Advisor to a possible Chinese invasion of Alaska and since the President is trying to a keep lid on ‘war mongering’ against China has her placed under almost house arrest so as to keep her quiet. After the invasion starts, not only is she instantly forgiven and reinstated but ends up in the Whitehouse bunker advising the President directly.
Overall thoroughly good read, and am off to look for book 2 in the series.
on 10 September 2012
Being a fan of techno thrillers likes Red Storm Rising and Red Phoenix (written by masters of the genre in Tom Clancy and Larry Bond), I had realistic expectations for this book and wasn't expecting anything of the standard of those two.

Whilst it would be a stretch too far to say that this book rates up there with RSR and RP, it certainly does a very good job.

The story is interesting and is a new approach to the genre. Perhaps a little far-fetched, it still offers enough realism to keep things topical.

I was expecting this to be a one-off book but the author has cleverly left the ending open with a view to perhaps continuing the saga whilst wrapping things up enough to satisfy if he chooses not to write on. I for one would like to read what happens next.

Without spoiling anything, I particularly liked the aspect of a vulnerable USA relying on allies (i.e. Canada) to come to their aid. It would be nice to develop that further with regards to the aftermath of the book. For info, I'm not Canadian...
on 18 April 2012
Not quite. But (as other reviewers have referred to) this is one of the best techno-thrillers since Tom Clancys 'Red Storm Rising' ,which was, without doubt, the best WW3 Cold War novel ever written. This is shorter, does not go into the same technical details or have the same number of sub-stories, but it's a cracking read and a brilliant story of what could be in just a couple of decades.

As ever with Mr Heppner (please read his Doom Star series, I have just finished Star Fortress, the latest & greatest of that set) his technical detail is very strong, along with his use of the environment (geography, weather etc) to bring a story to life.
on 1 July 2014
This type of story really is not my genre but after reading some of the feedback i wanted to give it a go and im glad i did. The story starts in the not too distant future when the global climate has decimated food production leaving in it to only a few to feed the world. With chinas population still huge they have the very real problem of their people rioting against the party for food setting the stage for one country to invade another for resources. There is a lot more to the story and the characters than meets the eye, which you will find out through the series.

The scary thought is how very possible this all could be.
on 17 February 2013
When I started reading this I ended up with a couple of late nights as I couldn't put it down. The author created a scenario in which the action took place on the shores of the USA & took us into the cold lands of Alaska.

A well put together exciting story that offered a great thrill of a battle that reaches deep into the heart of the US, normally it's the other way around!

A good cast of strong characters with their own stories and reaches a great climax that leaves you thinking about the action that took place. A gripping read and I look forward to reading the authors other book Invasion California!