on 13 December 2017
I don’t really read much, but read this TWICE.

I suffer from PTSD and most side effects of that. This helps give a basic and applyable approach to the way the human brain works.

Even if you don’t suffer from mental health issues, if you know anyone or more importantly are a manager of people. READ THIS PLEASE

Bought one for me and friend!
19 people found this helpful
on 22 May 2017
great book, makes you really think, interesting and informative, excellent for those who tend to overthink !
19 people found this helpful
on 27 October 2017
I loved this book and it has really helped me understand how my brain works. It's opened my eyes to why I react emotionally to so many things when I'd rather react coolly and rationally. This book also gives advice on how to correct it so that you can stay in control even in stressful situations .

Some critical reviews say that it's a bit simplistically writtenand I know what they mean by that but don't let that stop you reading this brilliant book. The writing style may be a little simplistic but the content in this book is life-changing and you shouldn't miss it for the world.
9 people found this helpful
on 14 November 2017
First listened to this as an audio book and then bought a hard copy as I enjoyed it so much. It's a really accessible book about human nature and how to manage your chimp. Lends ideas from CBT, compassion-focussed approaches and Mindfulness. Well worth a read.
7 people found this helpful
on 29 October 2016
I've bought this 3 times for various people.
It's always received with a slight suspicion and then the feedback is always really positive!
At its most basic use, it's wonderful for helping people learn about the 'chimp brain' so that they can start to notice these chimp-like thoughts.
I haven't used it for any other purpose but I enjoyed reading the whole book.
Excellent.
8 people found this helpful
on 18 May 2018
Until I stumbled to this book in search of how to fight my anxiety I was one those people who did not realize how deep I was in my anxiety & related matters. this book showed me I was not in control of myself (The Human) but my chimp (My emtions) were what was guiding me controlling me and making the decisions for me. Until the book showed me "Human" lost control to the "Chimp". I bought the kindle and the audio version and use them regularly to guide. since I started reading the book my anxiety has reduced tremendously and I gained back myself and my future looks bright. I used to use amitriptyline to allow me to relax and sleep in the night, but now no more. Thanks Prof Steve Peters a well done book which I'm sure is helping a lot of people like me to get out of their anxiety and depressions.
3 people found this helpful
on 12 January 2018
I chose this rating because I found the book easy to read and understand. I found the theory extremely helpful and realistic enough to apply to my own experiences an would definitely recommend it to anyone struggling with getting grip on their emotions and why they may react in certain ways and how they might control their behaviour better
5 people found this helpful
on 6 April 2016
Great use of down to earth language to explain highly complex neuroscience
13 people found this helpful
on 8 January 2017
I bought this book partly because of the huge number of 5 star reviews it has. I struggled with it a little over the first hundred pages or so due to the constant reference to chimps and humans but it did start making sense after a while. I ended up enjoying it a great deal. Will probably re read it for maximum impact but I learnt much and it as opened my eyes. Good book, worth the effort of getting through it. Buy it.
3 people found this helpful
on 19 November 2017
Took a few chapter to get into this book but soon got into it and found hard to put down. A lot it makes sense on how we think sometimes and how we can view things differently in the future for us to be happier and more content with life.

Recommended reading!!