Showing 1-10 of 42 reviews(2 star). See all 852 reviews
on 18 July 2017
very enjoyable read
on 5 March 2017
This book isn't badly written, and that's the only thing stoping it from getting a 1 * rating. But the characters are stereotypes that barely fall short of caricatures most of the time, and not a single one of them is likeable or sympathetic. There is simply nothing to keep the reader interested in a plot that resembles a very boring episode of eastenders for the majority of the book.

If I'd wanted to read about the tedious family dramas of boring characters lives there are plenty of other genres that do it better. This is supposed t be a crime book, but the murder doesn't even happen until about half way into the book. Before that it's all about shopping trips, and sex and people in debt.

Couldn't even finish it, just flicked ahead to the penultimate chapter for the final resolution, and knowing what it was I'm very relieved I didn't have to read the rest of the book to get there.
on 21 January 2012
This book is written proficiently, and I read it through to the end, but although it had some initial pace the story dragged and there wasn't enough suspense to keep it going. Usually I look at the % read and am disappointed to be so far along, with this book I couldn't believe there was still so far to go. Some of the elements could be interesting, for example the relationship between Allie and her husband. Other parts of the plot are unbelievable, such as the animal magnetism of Terry and the universal response of the female characters to him.
22 Comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 July 2014
Really didn't enjoy this book. Not one likeable character especially the policewoman. Constant use of F word, I'm sure even villains have a larger vocabulary! Also I found the violence to women really off putting.

I don't think Priscilla Masters (who writes the Inspector Joanna Piercy novels set in the Staffordshire Moorlands area) need fear any competition. Overall really not impressed.

Would not recommend the book to anyone
on 18 October 2016
I have read all 3 books now so thought posting a review for the first may help others decide whether to invest. I bought all 3 at the same time, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered
Book one is not good. It is a basic 'who dunnit' so we have a murder and spend the rest of the book looking for the baddie. I'm afraid I agree with the 'its Jeremy kyle like' views of others. I don't want to invest my time and effort in characters who would appear on the show and I cringed at the storyline of Allie falling for the bad boy. Didn't enjoy the book or style of writing at all. Book 2 is better. We have a serial killer and, although not the best, it was readable and a huge improvement on book 1. Unfortunately book 3 is almost identical to book 1 so if you didn't enjoy the first book you won't like the last. It is another who dunnit with many of the same characters and the story follows the exact pattern of the first. Not for my personal taste so won't be reading any more. Angela Marsons series is is another league and highly recommend.
on 12 July 2014
Although the writing flows well, the plot creaked and the events were very predictable and not very credible. The main problem is that when all characters are unattractive, it's hard to stay engaged enough to care what happens to them.
on 31 March 2014
Most of the characters in this book are unlikeable. All of the criminal characters are selfish and the majority being violent. The 'heroine' too has few likeable traits and is difficult to empathise with. All in all a grim read.
on 23 March 2014
I was disappointed in this novel, I didn't find it a page Turner and the writing style was simplistic and predictable. It read as though written as a tv drama.
on 25 April 2014
This book is okay if you want an easy read however it has no depth. The characters and the plots are very straightforward and there is no real intrigue.
on 7 February 2016
Not the most suspenseful. I'll not bothering another in the series. Characters more like caricatures and none very likeable. .