on 3 April 2017
I have now read most of these books and there is always a twist
on 7 May 2017
A fantastic short story, it was good to find out what happened to this character who featured in book one.
Danika was pregnant when her breedmate Con was killed while on a mission for the Order. Unable to face the constant reminders of her lost love she left the Order's compound in Boston to return to her homeland for a quiet life with her son. While visiting Con's family in Scotland she overhears a dangerous criminal talking about humans being traded for blood sport and is determined to put a stop to it. She doesn't expect to run into an old friend but as soon as she sees Bran she recognises him as her childhood friend Mal. She is going to need Mal's help if she wants to put a stop to the criminal activities.

Fans of the Midnight Breed series will remember Danika losing her mate Con in the first book Kiss of Midnight, she has made several minor appearances since then so we have had the chance to see how things have been for her. I always found it sad that she lost her happily ever after at the same time that the other warriors all started to find theirs so I was really pleased to get to see her find love again.

I'm not going to go into too much detail about the story as this is a short novella and it would be too easy to give spoilers but I really liked the way the romance develops between Danika and Mal. They have known each other for years and there had been an attraction between them before she met Con so although their romance is fast it was still believable. What I liked most was the fact that Danika's relationship with Con wasn't dismissed, too often when someone loses their partner in a romance novel it seems like they have to realise that they never really loved them before they can move on with someone else. This isn't the case here, Danika and Con were together for a long time and she will always have feelings for him but that doesn't mean she can't move forward and be happy again with Mal.

There were a couple of moments when I was shouting at Danika not to be so stupid when she put herself at risk investigating the human slave ring that she uncovers but you can't help but admire her bravery and the fact that she wants to do the right thing. Mal has his own reasons to be investigating the criminals but he may have to put his hope for revenge on hold if he wants to keep Danika safe. I really hope we get to see more of both Danika and Mal in the series and I'm also very curious about Thane - I'd love to find out more about him!

A Taste of Midnight is a fabulous novella and a perfect treat for fans of the Midnight Breed series while we're waiting for the release of Darker than Midnight in January. It would also make a great introduction to anyone who hasn't tried the series yet, the story is stand alone so won't give spoilers for the rest of the series but it will leave you wanting to pick up the other books. Lara Adrian is one of my favourite authors and this novella doesn't disappoint, if you haven't tried this series yet what are you waiting for?
on 1 June 2012
I have to admit to being a little disappointed with this novella compared with the other full sized books in this series. The plot had the potential to be so much more if it had been given the time to develop. The plot was good, the characters had plenty of potential ... but it felt rushed due to the book size. The book broke away from The Order as it is set in Scotland (instead of Boston) ... The Order are mentioned but the on-going Dragos plot is completely separate to this novella. I did wonder if it were setting Bran up to become an Order member but it would appear not.

It was scary when Dani foolishly decided to try to look around the Bloodclub and I was afraid for her (Dani is the Widow of Conlan, a Warrior from The Order that was killed early in the series).

The book was a little predictable ... I suspected that someone wasn't the bad guy that he was pretending to be and I predicted the scene at The Gathering.

The book provided an interesting diversion but I didn't find it nearly as good as the others in the series. The plot wasn't as thorough, due to the length of the novella .... it felt more rushed and less developed. I would have liked to have seen more character development for Bran, Dani and baby Connor. Reiver was obviously evil and his character and businesses begged to be explored and developed more.

Overall, whilst the book still demonstrated Lara Adrian's skill as an author it felt unsatisfying and a little disappointing in comparison to the other books in the series.
on 2 January 2012
If you're a fan of the Midnight Breed series then you will know how Danika was breedmate to Conlan a member of The Order in Boston.Reading the books in this series i wondered about Danika,what happpened to her when she left Boston with her son Conner.This is only a short story but from the fist line i got lost in it.
This story takes place in Edinburgh and having worked and lived there for a few years i could instantly visulise the scene.When Danika looked at'the pristine moonlight spread of rolling highland hills'my heart jumped as i to had loved and lost a beutiful Scotsman although not the same way as Danika,but i remembered leaving Scotland at night when the hills were covered in snow.
I got lost in this beutiful short story and read it in one go as it's only nine chapters and an epilogue.I think this should and could have been a full book and taken a proper place in the series.
Of course Danika couldn't just visit Conlans' family in Scotland without getting involved in something she shouldn't have, putting herself and her baby sons' lives in jepody.In steps an old friend who is battling his own demons after losing his breedmate and unborn child.
I missed reading about the members of The Order,as apart from Gideon they wern't mentioned.There is no doubt they are there in Boston and i felt they could have turned up any time,it comforted me somewhat.
This is a beutiful story that let's us know that Danika finds love again and puts fans of this series minds at rest.You just have to,need to,read it.
on 13 January 2014
It was nice to have an overview of what happened to Danika when she left the Order to have her baby in her homeland after her mate's death. I enjoyed this novevella.
on 3 April 2013
I've always wanted to know what happened to Danika and whilst this story was good I could only give it 3 stars ... it was too short ...I understand novellas are short but I feel this could have been a fantastic full book... it seemed all too rushed from the back story of Mal and the romance between the two characters .. the plot and evil breed males was fast paced but again rushed ... I'm left feeling cheated and wished Lara could've made it much more fulfilling
on 28 March 2013
I am hooked on this series, and every single book I have read so far (11 in the series so far, with one ebing written now) has gripped me. The characters are amazing, both supernatural and mortal, the love stories have you gripped, the steamy scenes are just that. I can't wait for the rest of the series from Lara. ABSOLUTELY BUY THIS SERIES........THE FIRST 4 ARE ON AT A GREAT PRICE.
on 15 March 2012
I had no idea what this series was about until I started reading them I just loved the stories the characters become a part of your life you want them all to succeed even when they are not sure how to. As I finished the series so I read the whole lot again while I awaited the last book. Wonderful reading thoroughly recommended
on 13 February 2014
This is wast happened to Danika and Conner, her baby all she had left after Conlan had died a year and a half ago.

In this story she meets someone from her past who has had his own problems and is on a course for self destruction.

Can they find a way to be together or will it get them all killed.