on 26 April 2012
This book's unassuming title and front cover slightly camouflage a quality anthology. All the stories are written very well (also no typos, spelling or grammatical errors that I can detect) and there is a mix in genres. On top of this, it is exceptional value. It contains fifty short stories - yes count that five O! The collection suits an approach of either dipping in when you feel like it or reading straight through. I preferred to dip in every now and then and returned to it three or four times over the past couple of months. As is usually the case with such collections some stories are stronger than others but I think that the author has managed to come up with an impressive depth - so kudos to her.

There is an exhibitionism theme running through many of the stories, a subject that I confess I am not altogether keen on. The majority of the stories feature established couples; in some of them I was not quite sure if the same couple were making more than one appearance though! I think there is a slight repetition in some of the stories in that the couples' 'operating methods' recur e.g. more that one of the featured women had particular button front dresses that they wore for easy opening and closing when out and about on their escapades.

My least favourite stories are 'Shopping Mall' - about a couple who take their exhibitionist tendencies to their local mall. 'Robosex' - about a techie guy building a kind of orgasm machine, which he and his girlfriend then test out repeatedly. This entry seemed weird and I think it was a little overlong. I have to mention the very last story in the book 'Gwen's Debut' mainly because I found it distressing in the extreme. This story featured a woman kidnapped, raped and brutalised solely for the enjoyment of an internet audience. This entry seemed really out of place alongside the rest of the collection, as all the stories that had gone before were completely consensual. It sadly clouded the finish of the book for me a little.

My favourite two stories are 'Quicksand' and 'Garden Lane'. The former a deliciously creepy little horror story and the latter an enjoyable murder mystery. The author, seemingly, can effortlessly turn her hand to different styles very well. Overall, I was impressed and I would be interested to know if she has written any more mysteries. As I said earlier in this review, but I think it bears repeating, this book offers great value for your money. Price wise it certainly puts many inferior anthologies to shame.

Incidentally whilst posting this review I notice there appears to be much more information available about the book than was the case when I bought it at the beginning of the year...