on 27 December 2013
I sort of agree with all reviews...It is a bit unbelievable, but it is entertaining. There are a number of Mills & Boon paragraphs, but it has a decent story and is not bad in its descriptive areas. I am no expert (unlike a couple of reviewers) but I enjoyed all three.
I would read a forth too. so positive from me.
on 29 July 2013
Including explanatory notes in the text is not to be recommended when the author betrays his lack of knowledge of the subject so regularly, (a frigate was not a ship of the line as so described several times). Also the author's word selection is often exotic, borderers instead of boarders for example, and his attention to detail is non existent, the spelling of Evan Nepean's name suddenly switches to the correct version after several chapters in which it is spelt incorrectly.

A pity since the basic idea is good
on 14 June 2015
Very poor write up's by reviewers, lack of knowledge etc.
writes For 'young Adults'. Whoops! Gone and purchased
because of a dearth of any new books to read!
I found State Secrets was 'So far so good.' In the early stages though at only 5% of the book.
At 13% still very interesting and good, although the hero of
of the piece is a bit 'saintly'. Much encouraged by 29% although
sometimes the story gets slightly confusing. Good bit of action
in chapter 13 'hero' still walks on water! Pleasantly surprised,
not a bad book but a bit flat. A lot of interesting detail. I wonder about the complaints about the authors lack of knowledge, as an ex naval type he seemed to me to do exceptionally well. At something over
half way through found that I have quite enjoyed this book although the
hero is still too much so and seems unable to put a foot wrong
and is 'worshipped' by all and sundry. I like this book albeit that
it seems to lack a certain excitement. Was most encouraged by the ending and on the grounds of that will go for number two in the series. As far as the suggestion that it is for young adults, I suppose nowadays, at 74, I might fit that category!
on 28 November 2013
I don't know where to start with this. All books in this genre tend to be formulaic but this takes it to extremes. A meteoric rise in the RN and life for our hero, bad Lieutenant got rid of fairly quickly, finds girl etc.etc. and all written in a sort of "What I did on my holidays fashion" .
Sorry but a book with no literary or plot merit whatsoever.
on 20 November 2013
Initially I would have given this 5 stars because of the amount of detail and background information ( I know some of the locations in France for example- and they are exactly as described), but to be frank the book actually goes on to try and spoil us too much, by covering such an involved and long story. Very good nevertheless and grat value for money.
on 19 January 2014
An interesting and entertaining story. However, the author needs the services of a competent proof reader to correct the numerous spelling and grammatical errors. The use of "number 1" when referring to and conversing with the first lieutenant did not seem appropriate to the period in which the events take place. Having said that I enjoyed the book and think most people who like this type of novel will also enjoy it if not too critical!
on 13 June 2014
Book just never got going. No suspense you pretty much knew what was going to happen. No reality of the Navy during this period.
on 26 September 2013
A very good book about life in the Royal Navy in the early 1790's, when England was preparing itself for invasion by Republican France. The intrigue that goes on is very well written, and the attention to Naval detail of the time is very well done.
Now to get started on the next book in the series.
on 4 May 2015
Harding has managed to lift the story closer to the master sea story tellers by way of his technical knowledge of the sailing and navigation problems of the times. He will be a man to watch as he moves through the crowded shipping lanes of Napoleonic marine fiction.
on 5 January 2015
Grammatically this is just about the worst book I've ever read. Has this publisher ever heard of Proof Readers? I feel this is a potentially decent story ruined by its presentation.