on 20 March 2014
not for the faint-hearted, but absolutely brilliant.
I've read most of the author's memoir and autobiographical stuff, and that gave what he says here a lot of credibility to me.
on 4 July 2012
So glad I got this, a friend recommended it. I love that Augusten is up front tells you the hard cold reality, not sugar coated. This is what I stand for. He covers some difficult topics and in a straight talking yet compassionate way gives his advice from experience. 'Limits are actually opportunities...' ..'the thing about dreams is that they are not like spleens, there is not just one per person...' ..'real optimism is not the pep talk you give yourself it's earned through the labour involved in emotional housekeeping...' I found this book thought intruiging, calming, inspiring. I read it so quickly I couldn't get enough :-)
on 29 April 2014
Augusten Burroughs gives tough but realistic advice, better than most psychiatrists I've tried. For instance, without trying to deny that tobacco is addictive, he points out that it's not impossible to quit; you just have to know in advance and suffer through the fact that it's very, very uncomfortable doing so (his word). It does help to be able to say to yourself: ok, I'm not enjoying this, but I CAN do it. And without denying at all that depression is a real medical condition, he looks at suicide and points out that it is such an extreme solution to any problem that almost any lesser, still radical alternative is worth trying first. As in, before you kill yourself without any possibility of reincarnation, and devastate the people who love you, you should seriously first resort to: psychiatrists, priests, drugs, electroshock, dropping out from your job and begging on the streets, joining a monastery, trying to make a living as an artist, or running away to an ashram in India, because even if this means abandoning your children it's still not as bad for them or as irreversible as killing yourself would be. He puts things into perspective when your own mind is going a little bit over-catastrophic.
on 24 July 2013
This book says it like it is and I love that, it also makes total sense (to me that is). This will stay on my bookshelf to be opened again and again for practical no nonsense advice from a man that is truly gifted with words and is a very old soul...please write lots more Augusten!!!!!!!
on 7 September 2013
Rather different from Burroughs other books. If you've been plagued, as I have, by compulsory attendance at "self help in the workplace" types of "ra-ra, let's all be successful, happy people" seminars this book is a wonderful antidote to them and full of sage and witty advice. The part that had me helpless with laughter is the Italisn girl and "mirror street." Mirror street is actually Meryl Streep. Thoroughly recommended.
on 11 July 2012
I listened to the audio version narrated by Augusten Burroughs. I can't agree with his views on everything and I have to say I found a few chapters rather boring and a couple somewhat depressing. However, the chapter on gaining confidence and the one on finding love were truly inspired. I must have listened to these chapters alone about 20 times now because they are so stunningly accurate. For me, these chapters alone were worth the price of the book.
on 29 August 2014
It has the trademark forthright depth and candid honesty of this straight- talking survivor.... I felt at times the blunt tenacity lacked compassion... but, hell!, surviving is not the same as healing... which leads to a more expansive nuanced experience.
This book has guts and a forceful vigor. Just remember This Is His way not the only way!
on 21 January 2016
Disappointed.
on 8 October 2012
I quite enjoy this book - some of it's a little iffy but most of it is so true. This book contains a lot of what other people won't tell you or won't admit to and lots of its advice is super useful. I really enjoyed reading this and plan to recommend it to several people I know.
on 5 October 2014
Very insightful and brutal truths read all of his books, fantastic author. Best advice anyone could ever give to another.