Customer reviews

Bitches Brew
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

on 3 July 2017
Really pleased with purchase. Prompt dispatch. Great selection of classic performances.
on 20 June 2017
brilliant
on 17 November 2017
Not for everyone but I love it, Miles is king. Nicely presented double album, good pressing. Pleased with my purchase.
on 7 May 2017
I have probably listened to this album over 300 - 400 times, it is (without doubt) one of the greatest, monumentally glorious albums ever produced. Yes, Kind of Blue is the single greatest jazz album ever made (closely followed by Coltrane's These Are a Few of My Favourite Things) - but BB is a joy to listen to. Kids love it & listened to on a good pair of headphones it will take you places only music can.
Forget the philistines who claim it's 'unlistenable' or 'weird' - they not not what they say.
This is music / jazz at its most uninhibited. It's just glorious to listen to on a lush summer's day, with a cold beer & a good book.
If you don't like this - then (I'm sorry to say) you are a corpse...!
Buy & enjoy...I promise you that you'll 'get it'.
on 3 December 2016
One word 'Genius'

Some people have a problem with 'electric Miles' albums as most will be fans of his 'A Kind of Blue' album myself included. However I felt that' this album was a masterclass in ensemble playing. The players on this album are Jazz heavyweights and they know how to play. Everyone is given their own space to explore and innovate and it's amazing how little you actually hear Miles. I'm listening to the vinyl album and as the needle hits the groove i sit back and hear the band warming up on Pharoahs Dance along with Miles raspy mutterings. That's all i to hear as the band take me on a ride that just doesn't give up with the funk layered electric Jazz. It's hard to believe this album is 47 years old, yes 47 years old and does it sound dated, not one bit. That is part of the genius of this album it is still relevant today as it was in 1969. A great album.
review image
on 27 March 2014
I bought this album when I was just getting into fusion and jazz and all the rest of it, kinda working my way back from John Scofield and Scott Henderson and all that good stuff. It doesn't take long whilst looking this sort of stuff up on the internet until Bitches Brew is mentioned and you start hearing about the impact it had at the time. I bought it without ever really listening to it in the first place and it really was not what I expected. To be honest, I couldn't get into it at all, I loved (and still do) Mahavishnu Orchestra and Return to Forever but why did I not love this? For someone working his way back, this really wasn't what I expected the album that supposedly started fusion to sound like and I was rather disappointed.

I still don't like it 100% and I doubt I ever really will, it's definitely more on the avant garde side of jazz, free jazz with a funky rhythmic pulse, which really isn't my sort of thing. Having said this I think it's an important album to listen to so you can make up your own mind about it. There's certainly some cool moments and it definitely creates an atmosphere. The album has a 'thing' about it, it has it's own sound and for that I respect it as a musical statement. I keep listening to it every now and then which obviously means it has something about it. I think every time I go back and listen I possibly understand it a tiny bit more.

Just because this is regarded as a seminal album on the whole fusion side of things does not mean you have to like it in the slightest, and forcing yourself to listen doesn't work but it's still worth listening to. Take time with it, it might grow on you, it might not, it'll make you feel something regardless.
on 13 September 2017
I'm not into jazz really. I made myself listen to this album coz jazz guys go on about how great this is. It's pretty abstract for me, there aren't any riffs to latch onto etc. It seems quite alien, but I persevered at listening to it and found myself enjoying the kind of relaxed style of making noise seemingly randomly! Of course these dudes are incredible musicians, which is why if you appreciate music, even if you think you don't like jazz, you should try this album out once, and then have another listen just to make sure!
on 20 November 2017
The actual CD's are nicely packaged in a plastic jewel (not cardboard) case which contains a great informative booklet and I absolutely love the CD cover back and front ! I truly wanted so much to enjoy this offering by Miles Davis but despite listening to it a dozen times all the way through I just think it sounds awful ! I do appreciate the fact that all the musicians are of the highest calibre but it just sounds like one long jam session where nobody knows what the other person is playing !! The dissonance and weird time signatures are just too much and have totally lost me. Nevertheless I will give it another few listens as I feel I am missing out on something iconic and truly significant in the history of music (or so everybody tells me)
on 11 November 2014
I bought this on vinyl when it came out in 1970, then the cd version when it was released and then the deluxe box when it came out too. youve probably guessed that I absolutely love this album. It blew my mind over forty years ago and it still blows my mind today. I have about 10,000 hours of music in various formats but I still manage to play BB in its entirety at least once a year and odd tracks more frequently. For all of those out there who have difficulty with it I can only say that it would be a dull old world if we all liked the same thing but, my goodness, heaven help you when you get to Agharta, Pangaea, Black Beauty and On The Corner if you think BB is a stretch!! I know it's not Kind of Blue but Kind of Blue probably alienated the Birth of the Cool fans and Miles never really cared anyway. He was always true to himself on his musical path and boy, was that a trip?

Peace to all
on 8 September 2010
This latest edition is worth it for the Copenhagan DVD alone - space age jazz, with Dave Holland still on acoustic bass (and doing some remarkable things, including an uncanny "impersonation" of Miles at one point), but with Chick Corea on Fender Rhodes. This is the "lost quintet" - thankfully, these days some of the extraordinary music they made has been found, and the DVD is yet another revelation for us. By Isle of Wight less than a year later the music was getting funkier (with Holland by now on Fender bass) - it's a shame that Columbia are saving the Tanglewood session, around the same time as Isle of Wight, with Gary Bartz on saxes and Keith Jarrett doubling with Corea on keyboards for those who can afford the deluxe edition - it can, however, be found at Wolfgang's Vault and is, of course, extraordinary. By the end of the year Michael Henderson was in Holland's shoes and the music had changed yet again, into something funky, primal and quite scarily intense, and bearing little resemblance to the Copenhagan set (Live/Evil; the Cellar Door Sessions). All great music, of course - that was Miles, who was playing the most powerfully brilliant trumpet of his career (probably).

Bitches Brew still blows my mind - as Paul Buckmaster says on the Isle of Wight DVD, it is so intense at times that one can hardly take it. I've no idea how many times I've listened to BB since first hearing it in 1970, but I've no doubt I will return to it again and again.
11 Comment| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse