Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.61

on 21 December 2013
Most realistic book I've read following the trials and tribulations of a couple experiencing fertility treatment, as someone whose gone through fertility issues myself it was obvious from the outset that the author had too it is the only way you could understand it and put into words so well.
Fully recommended to anyone going through and / or gone through the same thing can be quite reflective to read
on 16 December 2011
I've just finished reading this and I loved it. There's a lot more to this than chicklit - it tells of the trauma of trying to conceive a baby but in a way that can be hilariously funny whilst still portraying the anguish that the couple are going through. It's touching, funny and uplifting - and reading it has helped me cope through a difficult time, even though some parts of the story are sad. I've read and enjoyed Sibel's Amber Fox mysteries, but The Baby Trap (which is NOT amber fox, in case I've confused everyone) is my favourite read of hers. I can really recommend this.
on 14 December 2011
A wonderful book, which made me laugh and cry in equal measures. Gina discovers one day that she actually DOES want to have a baby, despite always saying she never felt maternal. But what seems like fun soon turns into an enormous obsession for Gina, who never realised how hard it could be to get pregnant.
I really empathised with Gina, and it brought back the almost physical pain you get when wanting a baby so much. However it's not all doom and gloom, and the hilarious stories of legs in the air (for various purposes!) and fertility drug induced mood swings had me snorting coffee onto my kindle!
A fabulous, funny, touching, incredibly readable book. Another triumph for Sibel Hodge!
on 24 April 2013
Fantastic !!!!! I laughed cried and could relate to most things in this book. Trouble conceiving can be a hard thing.... just nice to read about it :)
on 19 December 2011
A chick lit book with lots of laugh out loud moments¡K Sibel manages to make me see the funny side of a difficult journey¡K a book that I would recommend to someone who is just about to go through treatment, during treatment or for someone that has completed their journey, with our without success¡K. As well as hilarious, and sad at times, it is also educational in a very informal way!!! Thumbs up all round!!!

Reading the Baby Trap for someone that has gone through fertility treatment is very therapeutic. It made me look back, reflect and recall the things that we went through as a couple. It also reminded me of what hard times we went through, what pressures infertility puts on all aspects of your life. But it also made me recall of the funny bits that we went through¡K So many things that Gina and Karl go through during their journey to achieve their dream is so similar to a couple going through fertility treatment. The thoughts, the obsessions, the emotions ¡K I was able to relate to every single bit of the book.

The best bit about reading The Baby Trap is how it makes you laugh at it all when in actual fact, most of Fertility treatments is rather torturous.

As an person who would not normally read a book about infertility, due to the fact that it is a bit depressing and very sad, I would definitely recommend this book as it is mostly, the total opposite. Ok it does have sad parts to it (how could it not), but most of this book focuses on the funny bits and actually takes you through the journey of a couple which comes out the other end, intact! Having read this book, I have been able to reflect¡K and I am taking a few things away with me. A few lessons¡K and a few reminders about life, and what its really all about. Thank you Sibel, for reminding me of the things that are most important, as you must know, with something that is all consuming, it is sometimes hard not to loose yourself in it all. We all need a reminder at times. Now where is that balloon º
The Baby Trap
on 28 December 2011
I really did enjoy this book. It tells of the problems a young couple encounter trying to have a baby. It is very funny in places but sad in others as their dreams are dashed time and again. I did like Gina, the wife, and the things she gets up to. While the way this book is written, these things seem very funny, but this is a serious subject and other people must go through these problems. I can only feel very sad for them as I am sure it can be heartbreaking at times.
I do like Sibel Hodge's books and have read several now. I think they just get better and better. I would certainly recommend this book to anyone
on 16 September 2014
Well bought this book because we are going through a similar experience as Gina and Karl. Spoiler alert so please stop reading this review if you don't want to know...
I was happy for them finally getting pregnant but also envious that it happened knowing that our situation is so different. It's not me it's him...that was such a huge blow. So alas I find myself pondering - am I in the baby trap? Should every woman experience motherhood irrespective of which side of 30 they are? I don't know how my story will end but I know how I want it to end...with a bundle of joy, miracles do happen right?
on 10 January 2012
Warning: don't drink while reading; thank goodness eReaders have glass screens so are easy to clean after spitting coffee on them. 'The Baby Trap' is an emotional rollercoaster: one minute I was laughing out loud, and the next I had tears rolling down my face. Sibel Hodge handles the difficult subject of infertility with the humour that I associate with her, but also a great deal of sensitivity. I read into the early hours as I couldn't put it down until the very end. I highly recommend this book.
on 8 January 2015
This is the second book by Sibel Hodge I have read, although the first in this genre. I've read a few fiction books in the past about couples having difficulty conceiving, but this was by far the best. Although it was a very touching read, and as we find out, the author has personal experience of fertility issues, it was very very funny. It showed how women who would previously never have dabbled in various types of mumbo-jumbo become open to trying absolutely anything in order to get pregnant - at the same time both heart-warming and amusing. There's also an excellent moral in the story and a rather lovely twist at the end too. Visiting a psychic, re-arranging furniture, buying certain items, as well as crazy diets, not to mention the usual abstaining from alcohol and constantly checking ovulation times all make for a fantastic read. Definitely recommend.
on 3 March 2014
I hesitated before trying this; I had enjoyed Hodge's Fourteen Days Later but had been disappointed by the sequel My Perfect Wedding, which i felt had an incoherent plot and unbelievable characters. But I gave it a go and in the end could not put it down! This is something different from the books just mentioned, in that it has a serious theme presented in a very lively and honest way: it's an easy read, chick-lit style, but there is a real understanding behind it and I was not surprised to learn it was inspired by the author's own experiences. All in all, a touching story which will strike a chord in those trying in vain for a baby, but will also be a good read for those trying to understand the heartbreaking experience of infertility that someone close to them may be going through.