Format: Audio CD|Change

I like this disc, although I have my reservations about it. Simone Dinnerstein is an excellent pianist with excellent technique and a wonderful tone which is evident in her playing of both the Bach and Schubert here. It is an imaginative coupling of composers and the choice works very well for me with the D899 Impromptus framed by two of Bach's wonderful Partitas.

My reservations are partly just a matter of personal taste. Dinnerstein adopts quite a Romantic approach to Bach with some free use of rubato and the odd grand gesture which I'm not that keen on in Bach. However, she doesn't overdo it and there is nothing "wrong" or "incorrect" about this style, and you may well enjoy it very much if your taste doesn't coincide with mine. Her approach suits the Schubert Impromptus well and the sound and tone of her playing in all of these beautiful pieces is a delight.

Overall, though, I found just a little something missing here. The artwork features several photos of Simone Dinnerstein gazing soulfully into the distance and perhaps that is what I am hearing: a beautiful sound from a pianist who is looking inward slightly too much and not engaging quite enough with the music itself. Whatever the reason, to me the Partitas don't quite dance in that delightful variety of ways that Angela Hewitt brings to them, and the Impromptus don't have quite the magical depth and inner light which Maria Joao Pires or Mitsuko Uchida find there.

I don't want to sound too critical because this is an enjoyable disc of lovely music, well played by a very talented pianist. It won't replace my other much-loved performances of these works but I am sure it will give a lot of people a lot of pleasure.