Customer reviews

Living and Working in Britain
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£7.69

on 8 September 2017
Note: the Kindle version has a 2107 book cover, but is 2012 content.
on 6 March 2012
Bought this book for a mate who's coming to work here with his family. Having looked at the alternatives, including 'official' stuff from the British Council (which is aimed mostly at overseas students), I was rather downhearted. Almost everything available was woefully out-of-date and many publications were aimed at people wanting to pass those rote-learning tests that grant citizenship. Bill Bryson's 'Notes from a small island' was fun, but nearly 20 years out of date. We've changed a lot in that time.

This particular book, however, is great: up-to-date, comprehensive and thoroughly practical. I learnt a bit too.

This is the must-have guide for any non-Brit coming to our sceptered isle.
on 2 May 2012
If anyone is considering or will be moving to Britain this is a very good book to read! Loads of information about most important things to consider. My only remark would be that on a similar book written for people moving to France includes a little more specific information on the different counties/areas...I would recommend this to be included, since specific information such as job prospects, good schools etc on each area (like Devon or cornwall)would be great...it helps to decide or explore the advantages of moving to one area as opposed to another.
on 22 June 2013
I was considering the possibility of moving to Great Britain quite for some time. And like many expats-to-be was idealizing the experience in my imagination. After reading this book I see things much more realistically, so I think I will consider other countries before making the final decision. It is great to have an opportunity to explore real life abroad before actually getting there and "Living and working in Britain" has helped me immensely. I'm eager to read other books from this series.
on 1 September 2014
When I moved to Britain in 2001, I bought the edition of this book available at the time and it was a brilliant resource. I bought it several months before moving, read through it all the way, and then after I'd moved used it as a reference book to use most days for the first 1-2 years. It contains valuable information that many a native Brit won't think of teaching you because it's all 'normal' to them.

Ever since buying that edition that I used so much and helped me no end, I've been buying every new updated edition of it only to gift it to people (planning on) moving to Britain and they all use it a lot – I know because some have come back thinking I lent them rather than gifted them the book and it always appears thoroughly used. It's a true treasure of information.
on 29 January 2014
As a British citizen with the task of sharing something of British culture with international students with good English, sections in this book lend themselves to lively discussion topics and comparisons between cultures.

It is also fun as well.

A good read.
on 27 October 2012
A very good book to get basic information about Great Britain. It helped me getting up-to-speed and to build a understanding of how everything works in the country. I can definetely recommend every foreigner moving to GB to invest in this book.
on 11 December 2013
I've got the book when i moved to uk and it was a great help for my adptation process. It brings a lot of useful info about the day by dy business and mindset of british people. I recomend it.
on 28 December 2012
Excellent book covers a lot of areas if you are considering living in the UK and want a good overview.