on 23 February 2013
Like many reviewers below, I loved this book but was frustrated by the lack of apostrophes etc. However, the Kindle book has now been corrected and I received an updated version which is fixed. So I can thoroughly recommend this wonderful story without hesitation now.
on 22 January 2013
I have to concur with other reviewers - the lack of punctuation makes this book damn near impossible to read in parts, and difficult in others. In my opinion, this book is not suitable for sale in Kindle form until these errors have been amended.
on 31 January 2015
Beautiful & complex women during the post war years on a journey. Well worth reading. Perfectly captures the spirit and feel of New Zealand and the calm and measure of the Netherlands. Would recommend to women of all ages.
on 22 January 2013
I don't know if I can be bothered to retranslate every sentence. Shed and Ill instead of she'd and I'll. It really spoils it for me. A shame for the author, it seems an injustice. I guess it is only the kindle version??
on 28 July 2013
I very rarely don't finish reading a book but I've just about given up on this one, although not yet removed it from my Kindle. I found it hard work, difficult to understand what was going on and did not empathise with any of the characters. Maybe if I persevere it will all become clear and I'll amend this review.
on 3 November 2014
An unusual story of a girl who set off to get married from her native country and how her life changed. I enjoyed reading it.
on 10 February 2013
This is about the lives and interactions of four young strangers from Holland who were on a flight together taking them to a new life in New Zealand. I felt all the characters were written about so well that they could have been real people, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. It is a story of love, ambition, duty and shadows of past events. It's different and it's a good story. I enjoyed the book from start to finish and do not hesitate to recommend it.
on 29 January 2013
I couldn't put my kindle down. The story was so good. Unfortunately there was no punctuation so I had to read very carefully. It didn't spoil it too much though. One of the best books I have read.
on 2 March 2013
I bought this as a 99p daily deal from Kindle and think it is a real gem. Despite the lack of apostrophes in the kindle version and the very occasional clunky translation this was hard to put down and one of my favourite books of the last few months. I found the story of the air race fascinating and this provided an interesting backdrop to a great story based around four main characters. Highly recommended
on 7 February 2013
After recently visiting New Zealand I was intrigued by the story line of this novel. It is set in the 50's and starts with a fascinating accounts of how the Dutch brides arrive in their new country. I enjoyed the story, characters and setting but found it extremely difficult to read due to the lack of punctuation. No apostrophes at all so for 'she'd' read 'shed', 'won't' read 'wont'. What happened to proof reading???