Customer reviews

on 22 January 2013
Let me preface by saying I hadn't spent much time at all with the new Radiohead album, a quick listen didn't really catch my ear. I knew they had done a Live from the Basement performance and was waiting to see what price a North America release would command. Then it came on HD broadcast and I watched the first song and was blown away. I deleted it from the PVR because I knew I already liked it so much that I wanted to experience the rest in high resolution on Blu-ray. So I did a little research and found out it still hadn't received a REGION A release yet but that the UK release was region free.

Amazon still incorrectly lists this as REGION B, but maybe that's to save themselves some headaches over people who don't know about 1080i50 playback ordering the disc and saying it doesn't work on their Sony?

Some in North America may have some playback issues if they order this from Amazon UK. It is encoded at 1080i50. You will need a player that converts 1080i50 > 1080i60 on the fly. There is a thread on the Blu-ray forums which discusses this issue at length and can provide some good information - Amazon doesn't allow url's but if you Google "US Blu-ray players and 50hz compatibility" you'll come to the thread.

The long and the short is, if you want to watch this Blu-ray in North America you'll need a player from Samsung, LG or Oppo. There is no region coding to bypass, you just need a player that converts to 60Hz. There is no loss of detail during the conversion, I've got other 1080i50 Blu-ray discs like An Idiot Abroad Box Set - Series 1 and 2 [Blu-ray][Region Free] and they all play just fine on my Samsung BD-D5700. In fact the reason I acquired this player was specifically for 1080i50 discs. I am considering picking up an Orei M2 Blu-ray player as it also allows you to change the region coding, it's $150 on Amazon and also plays all DVD's regardless of PAL vs NTSC or region code.

As for Radiohead, the rest of the performance is as brilliant as the first song. Really these guys get into some choice grooves and Thom especially can be seen bopping his head back and forth several times. The PCM stereo track is much quieter than the dts-ma track, however I found the surround presentation opened up the soundstage quite a bit more and one word to the wise, turn it down before you switch from PCM > dts-ma, it really is SUBSTANTIALLY louder. LFE is really nice, the bass lines stay very coherent and don't muffle in with the kick drums and toms, Thom's voice is solid throughout, the musicianship is pretty uncanny and the horns sound terrific.

It would have been cool to see some additional stuff on here, some out-takes maybe or some additional band chatter, someone talking about the set-up and how it came about....but really the performance takes centre stage and it's terrific to have a Blu-ray performance of this album with the entire album performed in high resolution lossless dts-hd Master Audio at 24-bit/48kHz. The playing is so good you may find times you just turn the TV off and close your eyes. Solid release, would be great to see more bands doing this.
on 8 August 2013
Before the release of KOL live, the studio album was a bit of a head scratcher.

I liked it, it had/has some excellent material on it, but it lacked something that made it a classic.

That was until I saw the band perform all the songs live and astound me! All of a sudden I was listening with a different focus and could see the band in action playing al, the little details that my ear had always assumed was clever post production additions. But here it is, in all its glory. One of the most mesmerising live bands currently performing in a semi-live environment, rolling out huge performances one after the other and stopping between each and chatting about emails and reminding each other of the structure for the next number.

This will open your eyes to what is now one of my favourite Radiohead albums, and allow you to hear it and see it in a different light. Couple that with the addition of 'The Daily Mail' and its a high definition pleasure for eyes and ears.

Buy it. Don't hesitate!
on 26 January 2012
I'll make this simple. If you liked The King of Limbs you will love this as the band perform each track brilliantly! However, which one do you buy? The Blu -Ray version also comes with a DVD disc so you get the best of both worlds at the same price as the DVD version which i presume is on its own? Over to you Amazon???
on 11 February 2012
I ordered the Bluray version which also has the DVD edition included. The difference between the two, apart from the obvious picture quality improvement is the 5.1 HD DTS sound option which is excellent.
Anyhow, straight to it, I've watched this about ten times already and am totally hero struck at just how brilliant Radiohead is and just how much better The King of Limbs sounds here compared to the studio version. Utterly Brilliant, thank you Radiohead.
33 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 January 2015
I'm rapidly running out of superlatives to describe the music this band makes. Although KOL isn't my favourite album of theirs (that would be 'In Rainbows'), the versions of the tracks on this DVD are sublime. 'Codex' is amazing, and 'Give up the Ghost' is a revelation as Thom's haunting vocals are layered live to produce one of the best things I've ever heard. I got into Radiohead by listening to my son's copy of 'In Rainbows' couple of years ago. I now consider them to be the best band in the world bar none, and have since bought all their CD's and DVD's. Long may they continue.
on 13 August 2016
I bought this some time ago but recently watched it again and felt the need to leave a review. It's amazing. I quite liked the album (though it wasn't my favourite, it did grow on me over time) but this performance of the album is mesmerizing. To see the songs performed live and realise just what instruments are making what noise (ie... not drum machines etc) and to see a band at this point in their career perform with such passion and imagination is captivating. I'm entranced every time I watch it. If you're only even marginally interested in Radiohead, I would suggest watching this.
on 4 March 2016
Blisteringly wonderful and way better than the studio release, this is arguably Radiohead's third best album. Codex is achingly beautiful with a stunning horn (yes horns) climax. Separator too has a real depth missing from the official release. I love Bloom too and use all three as part of my going to sleep routine too. Yes I too less than impressed with the Kings of Limbs studio release, and it was seeing the songs performed live on the tour that converted me. Don't be put off - played live the whole DVD is way more impressive.
on 13 August 2013
I haven't written too many reviews, but sometimes you feel that something is so good.

This is one of those occasions. This is an amazing DVD by an incredible band. It's a very relaxed performance of the 'King of limbs' album. Featuring all of the tracks, plus a few more.

I love how the DVD is filmed, and being a musician/producer, I really appreciate seeing the studio set up and the gear being used.
on 12 March 2014
As you would expect from Radiohead a great dvd to watch.Excellent quality and they were on top form performing. Definete buy for any fan of Radiohead
on 21 December 2015
What can I say?? It's Radiohead!!! And it's a live version of the Kings of Limbs!!!