Customer reviews

Acoustic in Brugge
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 September 2015
This has got to be and is one of the best Stranglers albums so far. I think it is going to be played until it disintegrates or the laser in my cars CD wares out!
If you listen to the tracks on the album and then listen to older tracks put together in the recording studio, you discover the fantastic playing ability, and musical creativeness of the band live, and realise that the Stranglers are one hell of a band, in every way, which I should fully be aware of after seeing them 21 times. The CD also includes some (as usual with live Stranglers events), spontaneous wit and adds to the whole experience. And to cap it off, my mother (who’s 82), heard some of the tracks in the car and a requested a copy! The question now is do I edit out the swearing? Let’s see what happens?
on 29 August 2012
I must admit that I wasn't sure about purchasing this, at first. But after a long hiatus from The Meninblack when Hugh Cornwell left, I happened to pick up Giants and was pleasantly blown away. Then ditto with Norfolk Coast and Suite XVI albums. The Stranglers have long since evolved as musicians and adopted a broader palette than their 'Punk meets Doors' earlier offerings suggested. It got boring during the latter years with Cornwell, but thankfully the duelling keyboards and bass guitar are back to the fore and the band is revitalised - they sound like they mean it once more.

Then suddenly, out of nowhere comes this stripped back acoustic set, showcasing different versions of older and newer material. JJ sports an acoustic bass and Jet Black still hits the skins, so the acoustic rendering of songs still has the trademark bite. The band are relaxed and clearly enjoying this gig, as you can hear from the between songs banter with the away crowd of raucous Brits and more reserved locals. The setlist is by no means a Greatest Hits effort, so we are treated with several hits + album tracks.

If, like me, you are interested in the overall song writing, then the acoustic format is an excellent way to study the songs' texture, dynamics and lyrics.

Sorry I missed their Roundhouse gig now!
on 27 February 2016
I bought Black & White way back when and saw the Stranglers in '86 (?) at a gig in Aberdeen where they lost the audience about 3 songs in with their audience bating. (Recent documentaries and articles in the music press suggest that this was a deliberate ploy by the band to court controversy.)

The other strong memory of that night was what good musicians they were. This album is a reminder of that with some great playing and thankfully the banter with the audience is a little "warmer." I'd recommend this to fans who don't have it and worth buying if you just enjoy good songs played well. Sound quality is really good as well.

Going to see them in a couple of weeks so hope they're feeling mellow!
on 14 February 2018
What a pleasant surprice. One of the loudest New Wave bands acoustic. This adds new life to many of their songs. Listen especially to "Princess of the Streets". This version is completely different but equally fantastic as the original one.
on 18 March 2014
Having been a fan of The meninblack since my school days which was long ago when Dinosaurs ruled the world and I purchased the amazing Rattus Norvegicus and followed them up until ,H**h C!'~well ,parted company. Over the years I continued to see em live but didn't really get in to the new stuff but that all changed when they released released the superb Giants album. Having just seen the lads live at Hammersmith I decided to give this cd a try having read other reviews,we'll what a hidden gem this is. The songs a broken down brilliantly and shows what great song writers and musicians they are. If you love The Stranglers grab this cd and peel back your lug holes and enjoy but don't bring Harry.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 April 2015
An absolute bargain (less than a fiver) and some really nice renditions of some old (i.e. pre 1991) masters: "Princess of the Streets", "European Female", "Always the Sun", "Don't Bring Harry", "Strange Little Girl", "English Towns" etc, along with some newer tracks.

Was a huge fan of the Stranglers 1978-1990 and then again over the past couple of years and this is a great addition to my Stranglers catalogue.
on 26 June 2015
You will see from my profile I am a Stranglers fan rain and shine but I have never seen the Stranglers as an acoustic band. How wrong was I. A corking set of classics and less known gems laid back and delivered flawlessly. With such a huge catalogue to pull from you would expect the well known. Absolutely not. being the Stranglers it is done how only they could do it with an interesting choice of material and played perfectly with some witty banter and an appreciative crowd all thrown in. A great record that I would recommend to all.
on 10 December 2016
So pleased I purchased this album as it is brilliant with great production too.
on 6 January 2017
Terrific, must-have addition to any Stranglers fan's collection!
on 2 January 2017