Customer reviews

Shallow Bed
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 27 January 2017
It is easy to get carried away when you first hear a great album, therefore it is good to give it some perspective as time passes. So, listening to this again, nearly five years down the line, does its power to amaze and delight diminish? Emphatically no - if anything it improves with every hearing. I honestly haven't heard many better albums than this. So many truly magnificent songs - just give the Chambers and the Valves a listen if you want to know what I'm talking about. So sad that this superb group went their separate ways.
3 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 17 October 2012
Bought this in June on a whim, having heard my daughter play History Book as a free itunes song. After several weeks saying 'what is that song' I conceeded that it was worth taking a risk, and what a great decision that was. The band have a folk rock sound (which many describe as similar to 'Mumford and Sons' or Fleet Foxes). The album features whimsical lyrics and a kind of raw/hoarse choirboy vocal, which may take some getting used to, but the harmonies and violin backing are magical. This album has a heavier production with a rocky feel but the band are bringing out an acoustic version for Christmas if you prefer a lighter more folky sound. I'm still struggling to work out the lyrics, and my 'sing-alongs' turn into humming/howling but boy do I love this album! Went to see them live yesterday at their first UK tour date and they were superb - wouldn't hesitate to go again-absolute bargain. Check out thier website.
on 30 July 2017
This album was recommended to me and I have to say that it is right up my street; the musical style is a compelling mix of British folk rock and obscure abstraction.

The acoustic version might even be better than the original. Sadly Dry The River didn't seem to achieve the attention they deserved.
on 12 November 2014
When Weights and Measures was freshly out I came across it once in some casual radio listening and got very impressed, but didn't give it a second thought and didn't even remember the band name. This year when there were ads all over the city for their second album I suddenly realised I heard "Dry the River" before. And oh, what an amazing record I almost missed, and how much more than Weights and Measures it offers! With a distinctive high voice, intricately weaved vocal harmony and the apparent passion in pretty much all instrument parts, a debut album like this isn't something easily seen. When a song is simply brilliant, for years my mind remembers it even though I don't know. When an album is brilliant, after years it's still not late to check it out and end up feeling unable to stop listening.
on 2 September 2012
The first song I heard off this album was 'No Rest' on the radio but I missed the artist name. However the lyrics 'I loved you in the best way possible' stuck in my mind for days before I googled the band and ordered this album in high anticipation. Speaking as someone who rarely pays attention to lyrics and focuses on the catchiness of the tune I can say that Dry The River do not disappoint in that respect. When it arrived however I was shocked at not only the breathtaking harmonies (because that is what they are) but the poetic and quite haunting lyrics. My personal description of the band is a more upbeat version of the Fleet Foxes, so if that's the sort of music you enjoy then go for it! I gave my mum the CD to borrow and haven't had it back yet, so regardless of the age group its intended to be aimed at I would say it covers a wide range of tastes. I can't speak for everyone but I certainly do not regret this purchase. A fantastic upcoming band and a strong first album.
One person found this helpful
on 26 April 2017
A wonderful album - consistently uplifting. Only sorry that they only put out two albums
on 6 March 2014
Exciting new band with real talent of crafting and developing well written melodies that form great songs! The fact they released an Acoustic album of their debut album 'Shallow Bed' just shows that this band has made an impact with their debut - also showing that they are diverse!
on 4 June 2014
As a die-hard DTR fan, this album was a must have. After losing my first copy of it, I bought this a quick replacement. It was delivered quickly and packaged really well so there was no damage to the CD case at all. The songs on this album are as perfect as you would expect and the vocals are as brilliant as always. The ultimate album for a DTR fan.
on 13 May 2013
Amazing, unusual, fresh, powerful, an album that hangs together well across its entirely - all brilliant but shot with additional bursts of exceptional genius. I waited a long time for the main album to come out, and it blew me away. Now you can get all of that AND the acoustic versions, which open up some of the songs in different ways, and further prove the musical quality of the band.

Whats not to like? Download it now - you won't regret it.
on 21 November 2013
This band has a unique sound, due to the lead singer's ethereal voice, brilliant vocal harmonies from other band members and incorporation of an electric violin in the instrumental mix. The lyrical and powerful melodies coupled with spellbinding lyrics contribute to an amazing album. Some tracks just take my breath away!