on 4 March 2017
excellent
on 16 June 2012
I just smashed out Part B of MRCS in May 2012. To be honest if you need a clinical book to help you on examinations than you either did not pay attention in medical school or you have not examined any patient properly since. This book is detailed but in a frustrating fashion. The abdominal system is dissected to pieces when OHCM can summarise the salient points in two pages. But as a piece of academic inquiry this book is superb. True depth to make you think but not needed for the exam.
on 29 April 2017
This book was a gem throughout medical school for surgical OSCE's in the clinical years and finals as well. It covers everything you could be asked as a final year student, however I found that the layout in terms of practicing the motions of the exams was a bit too chunky and hard to follow in comparison to the Clinical Examination ring bound blue book. However, I recommend this book for when you are already pretty comfortable with doing the exams and use this to fine tune your ability to describe pathology and answer the questions that come afterwards. It contains some very useful mnemonics and methods for ad memoir, which I found really useful even for surgical writtens.
Another great thing is that the book is organised from common to rare in terms of what could come up, for example stoma being "common" and something like hammer toe being rare.
on 19 October 2011
I discovered this book in a hospital library and decided I needed it pernamently in my life! Its really handy as it goes through OSCE topics in order of how likely they are to come up and what questions you're likely to be asked. It also goes through the examinations with relevant details and highlights what you need to concentrate on for each diagnosis in order to reach a differential. I really wish there was an alternative about OSCE's in medicine, but this little gem will be the core of my revision for surgical OSCE's.
on 14 July 2007
This book is good for letting you know what might come up in the MRCS clinical exam. However, it suffers from a lack of detail and is completely bereft of any pictures or colour. Now I know several colleagues of mine who swore by this book, but for me, the other book by Parchment Smith is a better albeit more expensive buy.
on 7 April 2014
Delighted with this purchase- it arrived ahead of time, in perfect condition, and containing some of the best clinical tips I've read. Truly a pleasure to flick through it in free time, and eminently rewarding to spend an hour or two at it.
on 7 January 2013
This is an extremely useful book for those preparing for the Exit FRCS exam. I do recommend it strongly. It gives excellent orientation to the Clinical exam. It can also be useful for the final MRCS clinical as well.
on 10 December 2012
Really helped to polish my examination skills and OSCE techniques. I used this book extensively and practised with my friends - afterwards examination was a doddle - easy peasy! Highly recommend it.
on 17 May 2010
I got this book on the recommendation of my classmates for the final med clinics in surgery (ie the short cases). Some parts of it are excellent but you have to be careful not to get bogged down in the detail - remember this is designed for postgraduate exams so there really is no need to know it all! Use your common sense to pick out what you think could come up. I found the lumps and bumps section particularly good and it really helped me with my short cases.
on 12 April 2011
The 2nd edition now has photos and colours! It's a nice upgrade from the 1st edition with the same compact and helpful notes. Recommended by my surgical tutor and was not disappointed by it. Off note, it's a worthwhile investment for clinical year students and you'll never be short of a buyer if you feel like selling it after you graduated