Customer reviews

Gibsons 1980s Sweet Memories Jigsaw Puzzle (1000 pieces)

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 December 2012
I bought this fabulous jigsaw to help diffuse one or two of the tensions caused by several different generations being forced to spend time together over the festive period. I simply left the box open and waited for the first relative to come along and 'interfere'. Honestly, you could have set your watch by THAT one.

It worked brilliantly and was the perfect 'team game'. The older folk tackled it with gusto, reminiscing about the Thatcher years, the effects of inflation on the price of confectionery and the dubious comedy virtues of Jimmy Tarbuck. The under-10s were able to make a huge contribution too, as the pieces are large enough for them to handle comfortably and the individual components of the puzzle are easily recognisable. It is bright and colourful, the 80s were a loud decade!

As for us thirty... OK, forty-somethings, we were on familiar territory. There isn't one sweet on this puzzle that I didn't munch my way through during the 1980s and I've got the fillings and the dress collection from Evans to prove it.

This is an extremely well made and brilliantly evocative puzzle. You can almost smell the chocolate as you work your way through it though, so if you're on a diet it might represent a rather unique form of torture. It is perfect for any multi-generational get-together, particularly one that could, at least on paper, rapidly degenerate into something approximating World War Three.
0Comment| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 October 2016
Brilliant jigsaw that is steeped in nostalgia. We have a young baby and when he finally goes to bed it's a pleasure to sit and chat and idly complete a jigsaw rather than watch the same old rubbish on tv. It's a real stress buster.
on 17 January 2018
I bought this jigsaw for my 13yr old at Christmas. It was very well received. We spent about a week completing it together, which was fun. It has been a real talking point for visitors who saw it at various stages, and I enjoyed recalling the ‘old sweets’ it depicts.
I did experience a crisis when I accidentally hoovered up one piece! I had to tear open the hoover dust bag and sieve through it with my hands, being guided by the torchlight from my mobile phone haha. What fun! Glad I made the effort though, as without the piece, it would have spoilt the overall final effect.
on 14 March 2016
Got this as a present for my (30-year-old) brother who usually plays computer games and is too cool for jigsaws, but always does one at our parents' house over Christmas. Just as he thought he was going to have to crack open a county cottage scene, he opened this present, and was thrilled. It's not too tough due to the pattern and only 1000 pieces, no endless sky, but there are enough pieces and purple bits to require a bit of thought and challenge.
on 30 July 2017
My wife and I enjoy completing jigsaw puzzles. Gibson's are one of our favourite brands. Good quality pieces that fit together securely. We have the 80's sweets one already. Like to see images of our youth.
on 19 October 2014
Really enjoyed this. Haven't done a jigsaw in years, but after seeing this I cool 1980s chocolate puzzle I soon changed that. Spent hours on it; it became so addictive. Very colourful and brought back so many memories. Will buy more from this range.
Product arrived sooner than expected.
on 27 September 2017
Girlfriend loved it, shes box not finished it yet so cant be 100% sure about it but so far so good, seems well cut and the picture quality is good!
on 25 January 2016
A really challenging jigsaw that had us working on it hour after hour after hour to see it complete. The inclusion of the same manufacturer across the puzzle is just one of the challenges but it is very satisfying to see it finished and reminisce about old favourites.
on 10 October 2017
A very cool design and I imagine stress free build due to the detail involved. Good present for my Dad who used to eat all this stuff.
on 28 December 2015
Great puzzle and good to remember old 80's brands. Thought it would keep the Mrs quiet for a bit but it was completed in about 7 hours! Knocked 1 star off due to 16 pieces being broken :(
review image