Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 9 January 2013
A very interesting read looking at the way a police state can arise relatively unwittingly without being pompous and righteous. The justice system is also frightening in that, when new appointments are made, the 'bad' system becomes self perpetuating and there is no justice.
on 7 April 2013
I am always looking for new authors and something with a different spin and Prison Nation did not disappoint. On the positive side the concept was very interesting and something that was believably terrifying, among my friends we often despair at how lightly people are sentenced in today's courts and I could understand how a Nation could come about with crime levels increasing. Millie the lead character is well fleshed out you can understand why she says and does the things she does at every stage, the other characters could be a little better developed but you get a good feel for who they are and as this book seems likely to be the first in a series I am sure there will be plenty of opportunity for us to get to know them.
On the negative side I felt the pacing was a little unbalanced, the first section before release was a large portion of the book covering a few days and then the first few weeks of release were skimmed over very quickly and again the last large section of the book covered only a few days.
On the whole it is a very enjoyable book and I am sure would be appreciated by anyone who enjoyed The Hunger Games trilogy and I look forward to seeing what Millie does next.
on 30 April 2013
I read this book while I on holiday last week. I picked the book because of the title and the writer's description and I have to say, I enjoyed it. The writing was good, it almost brought a tear to my eye during the scenes with Millie's parents and the author describes the relationship of the mother's mental issues very astutely. The ending was slightly contrived but it didn't detract from the story. I read this because it hit a chord with my novel, The Seed farm, Ruby Lord. Dystopian novels are always going to appeal to those with different world views. The writing was easy to follow, relaxed and it was easy to pick up when you got up the next day. A good novel from a debut author.
on 1 July 2015
Every aspect of the writing - description, dialogue - is strong, atmospheric and successful in creating the dystopian world and time when this story takes place. Original and thought-provoking storyline and dystopian world. Heart-wrenching at times, reader gets emotionally involved. Very memorable book. Excellent read. I wasn’t happy with the ending - and maybe other readers won’t be as well - BUT the rest of the book is so good that I still have to give it 5 stars. I also thought it would have been great to continue this with a series (3-4 books)?
on 5 June 2013
When I first started to read this book it seemed bit strange. After the first chapter I started to enjoy it a well researched book of a story what could happen in the future. The ending was left open so I will look for the next instalment.
on 31 March 2013
I really liked the concept of Prison Nation however parts of the plot and the pacing prevented it from being a brilliant book.

The first part where Millie is still in Spokane seems to go on forever and nothing terribly exciting happens. Once she is released the plot skips ahead a couple of weeks and you find yourself reading about people you don't know who she's suddenly friends with.

The end doesn't make much sense at all either, what where they planning on doing once they reached the beach anyway?

I am however, intrigued for the next part and hope its paced better than this one.
on 9 May 2013
I downloaded this book for free on my kindle, and I was happily surprised at how good it was. The characters are well written and there were times I cried for the protagonist and her family. An excellent dystopia novel which is left open at the end for a sequel, which I hope the author will be writing soon. Suzanne Collins needs to be on the look out as Jenni Merritt is hot on you heels.
on 9 October 2012
I enjoyed this book I thought it was quite different and it was a very easy read. I was lucky to get this for free but would not have paid too much for it as it was very short.
on 9 December 2012
A scary view of a potential 1984 scale in a paranoid America, everyone is presumed guilty and punished before they do anything. Great read and I would recommend it , even though in places it's a little simplistic, the message is clear!
on 3 March 2013
This is a great book, hard to put down. I wasn't sure if I would enjoy this type of story line, but it gets you gripped and you need to finish it quickly, bit of a weird ending though!