Customer reviews

2,043

on 21 February 2014
I got this drive, installed it in my case & made sure I didn't have static electricity (wristband), I then installed it very carefully and booted up my computer. The drive was recognized and everything was fine. After a week of usage, I then watched a movie that was stored on it. It then started to skip frames, lag out, cut out etc. I did a S.M.A.R.T test & to my surprise there was A LOT of bad sectors. I asked people on Tomshardware & SpeedFan said that I needed to replace the drive immediately.

I asked for a refund and Amazon was very helpful. I know have bought a WDC 3TB one instead, waiting for it to arrive.
on 1 April 2015
Just purchased this drive, received it very quickly it came in a sealed anti-static bag which in turn was inside a bubble wrap bag all packed in a small cardboard box. On receiving the drive I partitioned it to GPT and formatted it to NTFS copied over all my files from a 500gb drive all went well and the drive is working fine but it took some time to do. Now this is the point that I discover the problem. When I go to swap the drives over I noticed the label on the NEW dive that I received and it read.

CERTIFIED REPAIRED HDD.

Nowhere in the description does it say it is a faulty HDD that has been repaired and there is no way of knowing how reliable or how long the drive was used BEFORE it was repaired. If I had known it was a repaired drive I would not have purchased it.

*UPDATE* Just checked the date code 13181 This equates to 02-11-2012 (Over 2 years old), Just requested a refund.
*UPDATE 2* Please note the supplier of this disk was "InvisibleMedia".
review image
1212 Comments| 187 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 March 2017
Seagate ST1000DM003 3.5 inch 1TB Barracuda Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
This item I returned straight away for the following reasons:
1. The item label on the {HDD} the name BARRACUDA is not written- just say
Seagate 1TB HDD.
2. There was no document/leaflet enclosed by the manufacturer to say what it is or
To assure quality of the product.
3. Nothing about the Guarantee because Seagate products usually register on line with them.
4. I have included 2 photos of a Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD below [which I want to replace]
5. There is a Seagate HDD -BARRACUDA with a Green label anewer version. Had I seen that I would have purchased it
6. Attached below is the Seagate’s official response after I kept on inquiring about these anomalies:
The first two photos are the HDD that I want to replace and 3rd is the the one advertised and returned
review imagereview imagereview image
on 24 June 2017
Ordered @ March 2017, Installed my OS onto it and throughout the first two weeks of use i started noticing minor problems such as small freezes and forced HDD fault scanning provided by Windows 10 OS. By the middle of April i started getting "beeping" sounds from my hard drive followed by 3-5 second OS freezes. Luckily i always back-up important data to my external drive on a daily basis, but if i didn't I would've lost 20-30% of my data permanently. The useless "SeaTools" provided by seagate website implies that all the faults are fixed after a long "Fix All" session and doesn't even say there are any problems in the first place. Right now I can barely use the drive at all, anything that i write to it gets corrupted 50% of time, going straight to a shredder. I've had hitachi HDD 500GB and some other drives for past 5 years and not even once i've come across similar problems, hence my only assumption in addition to all the similar negative feedback this drive is getting that it's simply faulty piece of hardware being openly sold. Would accept different brand SSHD/HDD replacement.
on 30 June 2017
Very good for storing huge amounts of data that I don't use a lot, such as backups, films, photos, game origins etc.
I keep it out of my PC and I use a long pair of SATA cables that I can pull out of one of the empty DVD caves, then attach the drive, with power off (!) when I need to add some more data or access existing data. This method is obviously faster than using an external USB enclosure, but one needs to be careful as the SATA cables are "live" - one for data, one for power. I keep these cables coiled up in a non-static bag, tucked in the DVD cave at the front of the PC.
on 18 October 2017
Worked great at first. now at almost 2 years (luckily just within the 2 year warranty period) it has failed. drive showing its running at 100% with simple small file transfer / reads / writes. This is causing a very slow boot as well. I tried a different drive on the same sata port / cable and this works fine. I tried the drive in a caddy on a different computer and got the same issue so definitely the drive at fault (it only had about 500 GB of data on it). I am trying to copy important data across before it breaks completely but it is very very slow going. hopefully i can get the important stuff before it goes completely. Thankfully due to amazons amazing customer service i am not going to end up out of pocket on this occasion as they have arranged for a refund so i can send this one back and purchase a new one. I guess although unlucky it broke i was lucky it did so just within the 2 year warranty and that amazon have such great customer service. If you have one i would recommend using seagates drive tools to scan it periodically to check for errors especially if you are approaching the end of your warranty period. Although to be honest they couldn't do anything to fix mine.
on 20 October 2015
Fast and good drives...... Well to a point...
I've recently ordered 12 of these disks. One was DOA, two failed within days.
Amazon returns procedure all good and effective.
The disks that haven't failed and the disks that were replaced have all performed impeccably all in RAID5 H/ware configurations after a 3 day burn-in test.

I'd say that these disks are extremely good value for money, perform very well in terms of speed. But do check them carefully on arrival, test, test ,test and retest. IMHO, if the disks stay up for more than 3 days then they're good to deploy.
I think that the DOAs were due to poor packaging / handling in transit
on 9 October 2017
The price of this drive is insanely compelling. I know storage is getting cheap, but this is a good drive with a good RPM and is at a very attractive cost. For people who use an SSD for their primary drive with one or more HDDS for added storage, this is perfect. I wouldn't recommend this drive or any other HDD for your primary OS, these days the speed and dependability of SSDs is just far more beneficial, but I would always recommend it for extra storage.
on 28 October 2017
Been using this drive for best part of 2 years and I can say there has been no issues yet! Holds plenty of data.
When it arrived It it was branded refurbished? Concerning as I was under the impression that I was buying new this was quite a shock.
Also my packaging was sketchy to say the least, it came in antistatic (thankfully) but it was bubble wrapped and then wrapped in a grey delivery bag!
wasn't too pleased about that. However as I was eager to get my pc built I let it be and the drive so far has not failed!
on 14 March 2017
Purchased Seagate Desktop 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB... in august 2016 started shutting down 1st march and I lost 100s if not 1000s of images all unrecoverable. It final stopped working 14/3/2017. I need a replacement BUT NOT a SEAGATE.