on 25 May 2013
I am always interested in novels where murder, mayhem and religion collide. So I enjoyed this. Read another in series too.
on 3 November 2011
Christian mysteries might not be thick on the ground, but there should be more of them if they're as good as this second entry in Crow's Monastery Murders series. She knows the church, and does a very convincing job in her descriptions of England. It's a frantic dash across the landscape, and through the secrets held by time, with a gripping conclusion. The good news is that Felicity and Anthony will be back again.
on 22 February 2012
This is excellent story. It is exciting fast moving and thrilling. It visits many of the holy places of Norfolk and the lives of Mother Julian of Norwich and Margery Kempe form an interesting backdrop. This is even better than the first book in the series and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is good to know there is another book on the way which hopefully will be available in Kindle soon.
on 9 March 2012
Really enjoyed reading the novel as it took me through many intriguing and sometimes dark pathways to the truth behind the murder of Brother Dominic, and the many other mysteries encountered along the way. Highly recommended - give yourselves a real treat - buy the book!
on 20 August 2012
Donna Fletcher Crow has intrigued and gripped me once more with the challenges she sets Felicity and Anthony. I loved this book; not only did it increase my knowledge of Julian of Norwich (whose writings I love) and Marjory Kempe, but she engaged me too with the romantic progress of the relationship between the two main characters and the ever-hanging question: will Felicity become a nun, and will Anthony have to heroically accept that and be pleased for her? The story increased in tension and danger and I was shocked by the final twist and revelation of the murderer's true identity. Only one quibble: I don't like the publisher's habit of printing the first chapter of the next book immediately after the end of the story. I like to reflect upon this story before being precipitated into the next.
on 8 July 2014
I really enjoy this series of novels. They are a little bit 'Nancy Drew' mixed with, slightly stilted, pieces of church history. My favourite parts have to be the descriptions of what happens at the 'College of the Transfiguration' and in this book the descriptions of Holy Week services are lovely. The Community Church has been reordered so if you visit The Community of the Resurrection it won't look as described here but it is an incredibly beautiful church and it is possible to go as a guest for the whole of Holy Week at a reasonable cost.
on 14 June 2015
I have to say I was not amazed. I am giving the author 4 stars for really well done research on christian rites, habits and history, but the story over all, with exception of the close to final chapters that were slightly more captivating, was too much dragging for me. I believe that some readers might like just this kind of narration and the book is well written. Just not my cup of tea.
on 14 April 2013
CHOSEN BECAUSE I ENJOYED READING THE FIRST BOOK AND WOULD RECOMMEND IT..VERY INTERESTING AND READABLE TO ANYONE WITH AN UNDERSTANDING, OR, INTEREST IN THE SUBJECT.
on 4 April 2014
I enjoyed reading the book as an easy light read. For those who are avid readers it will seem a bit tame for a murder mystery
on 23 August 2014
I seldom give up on a book but despite trying hard, just could not get into this