Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Worried Blues Fitbit

on 13 September 2012
I've only read one chapter of this so far but the rest of the whole book could be a complete pile of pants and it would still deserve 5* for what I've already learned, so I'm not waiting, I'm writing my review now!

I've read a lot of books about writing and have found that a lot of them repeat the same material, with maybe a few nuggets that aren't in the others. This one was straight out the gate with something that has had me thinking about it non-stop since I read it and I don't want to continue with the book until I've really examined it. It's Tool 1: "Begin sentences with subjects and verbs" and it explains how strong sentences start with the main subject and its verb at or near the beginning of the sentence, like I have in this review ("I've", "I've", "This one was", "It's"). Once you start looking at that in other people's writing and analysing your own, it's an eye-opener. To me, it was worth the price of the book just for that. Can't wait to read the rest (but I'll have to, I'm still thinking about the first chapter!).

UODATE: I'm on Chapter/Tool 11 after a couple of weeks now and I'm still delighted with this book. So many interesting things, and a whole stage up from other books on writing. It's refreshing to read something that feels a bit more advanced and it's also a very easy read. Very highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 17 March 2015
This book contains strategies for both novice and experienced writers, and the ideas are applicable to both short and long fiction, from articles to novels. This is because it focuses on what makes a good story, and how to tell it well. Some books on writing have too much padding, where the author gives long examples from other writers' works, but this book sticks to succinct examples. The author's background in journalism makes it especially useful for writers who want to find ways to market their books via blog posts/articles and the media, as well supplying plenty of juice for those crafting longer works. Within the 50 tools I found several I had not considered before, and I am an experienced writer. Well worth the money. Wish I had ordered the paperback now, and not the kindle version as it is a very good book I will refer to again and recommend to other writers.
on 11 April 2013
So many writing tips books out there. It's a minefield. But this one I found really useful. I was in the middle of (struggling) to write a chapter in a technical (medical) subject and needed some inspiration/help. This book provided that. You might think these writing tools are for non-fiction writer, but many of the 'strategies' can be applied for non-fiction. I don't know if there are similar books out there, but this one is definitely worth the investment.
on 21 October 2014
This is an excellent manual for established and would-be writers alike. Peter Clark guides the reader through a logically sequenced series of succinct chapters, explaining the craft of writing in the clearest terms, and drawing on the very best of literature and journalism to exemplify each new skill. Short exercises at the end of each chapter help those who wish to consolidate these skills.
Call me extravagant if you will, but I bought both the paperback and Kindle versions, so that this book is always to hand when needed. I rate it that highly.
on 21 July 2017
The author is a journalist by trade and a senior scholar at a school for journalists, and his book - which is well-written - is mainly aimed at journalists and other writers of non-fiction. One chapter opens, "When writers tell me stories about working on big projects.." Then some three hundred words later the author says, "For me this process also works for fiction." For the author, "writers" are first and foremost writers of non-fiction.

Writers of fiction need to sift through the author's "strategies" - each helpfully contained within its own chapter - and consider which are relevant to fiction, and which irrelevant or even counter-productive. Once that's done - and it's worth doing - the book becomes a useful source of advice for writers of fiction.
on 2 August 2016
Excellent book, but I was sent the shorter, original edition (with 50 'essential strategies') rather than the 10th Anniversary edition shown (which has 55). So I got a refund and bought the Kindle version instead, but that was also the older edition (despite having the front cover of the new one!)

So whichever you order, check after you buy that you have the 10th Anniversary edition with 55 strategies actually listed inside the book (not just on the Kindle cover!)
on 23 May 2017
Bought this as a birthday gift for a friend who is aiming to become a children's author. She loved it - she particularly liked the easy index as it is the kind of book she can dip into when she needs a bit of a push or direction on a certain point.
on 17 August 2014
clear, concise and very practical guide. It makes a dry subject engaging and is very practically focused. Excellent for those who need to make sure their writing is concise and has impact. I'm telling all my students about it. Very useful book when so many others covering the same subject are just so dry.
on 19 October 2014
A great book for any writer. You can find versions of this online, but this edition is comprehensive and still incredibly cheap and worth the investment.
on 29 December 2013
Brilliant for those studying writing like me. Many tools and exercises to enhance your writing. I keep it close by for reference. BUY IT!!