• Customer reviews

on 1 April 2015
Just purchased this drive, received it very quickly it came in a sealed anti-static bag which in turn was inside a bubble wrap bag all packed in a small cardboard box. On receiving the drive I partitioned it to GPT and formatted it to NTFS copied over all my files from a 500gb drive all went well and the drive is working fine but it took some time to do. Now this is the point that I discover the problem. When I go to swap the drives over I noticed the label on the NEW dive that I received and it read.

CERTIFIED REPAIRED HDD.

Nowhere in the description does it say it is a faulty HDD that has been repaired and there is no way of knowing how reliable or how long the drive was used BEFORE it was repaired. If I had known it was a repaired drive I would not have purchased it.

*UPDATE* Just checked the date code 13181 This equates to 02-11-2012 (Over 2 years old), Just requested a refund.
*UPDATE 2* Please note the supplier of this disk was "InvisibleMedia".
review image
1212 Comments| 192 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 June 2017
Very good for storing huge amounts of data that I don't use a lot, such as backups, films, photos, game origins etc.
I keep it out of my PC and I use a long pair of SATA cables that I can pull out of one of the empty DVD caves, then attach the drive, with power off (!) when I need to add some more data or access existing data. This method is obviously faster than using an external USB enclosure, but one needs to be careful as the SATA cables are "live" - one for data, one for power. I keep these cables coiled up in a non-static bag, tucked in the DVD cave at the front of the PC.
on 9 October 2017
The price of this drive is insanely compelling. I know storage is getting cheap, but this is a good drive with a good RPM and is at a very attractive cost. For people who use an SSD for their primary drive with one or more HDDS for added storage, this is perfect. I wouldn't recommend this drive or any other HDD for your primary OS, these days the speed and dependability of SSDs is just far more beneficial, but I would always recommend it for extra storage.
on 28 October 2017
Been using this drive for best part of 2 years and I can say there has been no issues yet! Holds plenty of data.
When it arrived It it was branded refurbished? Concerning as I was under the impression that I was buying new this was quite a shock.
Also my packaging was sketchy to say the least, it came in antistatic (thankfully) but it was bubble wrapped and then wrapped in a grey delivery bag!
wasn't too pleased about that. However as I was eager to get my pc built I let it be and the drive so far has not failed!
on 14 March 2017
Purchased Seagate Desktop 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB... in august 2016 started shutting down 1st march and I lost 100s if not 1000s of images all unrecoverable. It final stopped working 14/3/2017. I need a replacement BUT NOT a SEAGATE.
on 11 July 2017
After 4 years of average use as a secondary drive, not demanding at all, it has suddenly died on me without warning. No clicking, no errors leading up to it. Just suddenly became detected as RAW format, then disappeared altogether. Windows now hangs if this drive is plugged in, it's unreadable and unusable and, worst of all, had all my personal documents, videos and pictures on.

If you look into this model, you will find that over the past 3 - 4 years, this model has been found to have terrible reliability (check out the Backblaze report on this model). Avoid at all costs!
on 20 March 2017
Dead after only 2 months. Sure there's a warranty but would u send all ur private data back to Seagate? How dead is a dead drive? I don't trust this product to work & yet I don't even trust it to be reliably broken either. Very unsatisfactory.
on 4 April 2013
Good size and speed, lightweight and low profile drive. Has some squeaking/chirping noise as others have pointed out which, for me, was fixed by running CystalDiskInfo and setting APM Auto Adaption. Without that small issue I would have given it a 4.5
22 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 June 2015
This HDD arrived poorly packed, just a simple air-bag in a box with the rest you ordered.
However it arrived right on time.

This drive is very fast, haven't done a CrystalDisk Benchmark but I can ensure you it will work like a charm.

It opens Photoshop in about 6 seconds, which is amazingly fast.

I recommend this drive, it's cheap and works just fine.
on 20 May 2017
Fast drive great for my downloads, Can be a bit noisy so I have installed in a hot swap bay

UPDATE: Delivered 26 Feb 2017 03/06/17 its now completely dead - just makes head searching noise and never locks
Wont be ordering Seagate ever again