Customer reviews

on 21 December 2011
As someone who grew up in Weston Super Mare and is passionate about the town,but like the main character is now living in London, I was really looking forward to this series - and I was not disappointed although it has made me feel very homesick. Weston is a great place, with a beautiful promande, "the worlds best Pier", and a great beach - even if the sea is full of mud. This series show cases the recently modelled sea front beautifully and shows the town in it all its glorious glory. (Not that I'm bias!)

Both the story and characters are engaging and the humour is gentle and pitched just right to sum up West Country life. The writing is suberb and the characters are very well rounded. This has cleary been written by folk who love Weston and understand how people in Somerset think. Theres nothing not to like here. If you want laugh out loud riotous jokes look else where but if you love simple stories of every day folk just trying to get by you'll love this.

Just one question - why do we have to wait until November next year for a dvd release - that seems crazy. Come on Sky up the release date and give us all a treat. Laters!
on 30 July 2012
Personally, I loved The Cafe. For those expecting Royal Family re-incarnated, you'll be sorely disappointed. This is a very light look on life. A nice, good life. No murders, little foul language, little innuendo, no violence, no racism... just a lovely comedy. Ralf Little should be applauded for the bravery and subtlety of this series.

The characters are all likeable, even those who you are supposed to dislike. This could be a cult classic if only one series is ever made. Part of me even hopes it is only a one series so that series two doesn't spoil the candy floss happy feeling this one left you with. I do hold a huge hope for another series.

For those who hate it... well dig out your Spaced dvd's, or Fawlty Towers, or Red Dwarf, or League of Gentlemen etc... there are tastes for everyone. If this isn't your taste, appreciate that it may be other peoples. Personally - I can't stand League of Gentlemen and it still wins awards. I wouldn't think of writing a bad review against it though.

So. It's marmite - I don't like marmite...but I don't go mental because I don't like marmite - I just have peanut butter instead.
on 1 December 2011
I starting watching this on TV not knowing what to expect, having known Ralph Little and the production team from The Royle Family The Royle Family - The Complete Collection (2010) [DVD], I was worried it was going to be the same show but set near the sea.

How wrong, yes there are some similarities but this show has it's own identity. The humour is subtle, focusing on The Cafe, a sea fronted cafe set in Western-super-Mare, a seaside resort in North Somerset.

The cafe is run by 3 generations of the same family, Carol is the mother and is usually seen running the cafe, her daughter Sarah - who we learn has recently moved back after a failed relationship - helps out in-between her hectic social life of sitting on the wall, talking to her friends and daydreaming. Also Mary, who is Carol's mother and Sarah's Grandmother - who just seems to sit there, either making lavender bags or knitting, and not doing much else.

So what happens? Well, that is the beauty of this show, it's just a portrayal of life in a cafe. The humour comes in the form of subtle one liners, observational humour and the phrase 'laters' for saying goodbye - seems to have turned into a bit of a catchphrase.

If you prefer blatant comedy, slapstick or canned audience laughter, this isn't for you. If you adored The Royle Family, and like subtle comedy, you will love this!

A long wait until November 2012 for the DVD, but you will be glad you waited!!
22 Comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 December 2011
Loved the series. So gentle and so English. Made me cry and laugh. "Laters" and "Pound Shop Pam". Hope to see many more series. Brilliant.
on 27 September 2013
Ordered this in June 2012 - delivery forecast Sept 2014. Obviously not Amazon's fault but I'm really curious as to why problems with rights and such take so long to resolve.
33 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 June 2016
Series 1 was like a 6 part movie. Great fun from start to finish, but where is the DVD? Come on Sky, release this while there are people still willing to buy it!
on 31 October 2012
Subtle,gentle humour which was compulsive viewing. The best thing on TV for ages.
The tortoise getting his legs oiled had me creased up. Did the Dobsons win their carrots back in the raffle ??
on 29 January 2013
Great Series. Love the characters just makes you feel good, brilliant in its simplicity. Eagerly awaiting the release of series 1 DVD. Hope series 2 is in the pipe line.
on 15 August 2014
A brilliant show but i've just had an email from the DVD company saying it has decided not to release this which is a great shame ... I am gutted :(
on 27 January 2013
A really lovely little series that me and my mum really liked watching together. I find the storyline charming and the characters very likeable. The location reminds me of being on holiday in Somerset and really cheers me up.