on 2 June 2012
On Windows, drivers are not found automatically via Windows Update, but they install easily using the companion CD. The card's VIA USB 3 controller is then correctly detected in device manager. Under Linux Mint (equivalently Ubuntu), the USB 3 xhcd_hcd driver module is loaded automatically when the device is detected, so in this case the card just worked. Under Gentoo I simply had to enable xHCD USB 3 support in the kernel configuration (Device Drivers -> USB -> xHCD).

USB 2 and USB 3 devices were successfully detected when plugged into the hub. Unfortunately the only available USB 3 device I have to hand at the moment is a flash drive which will has max read 60MB/s and max write 30MB/s. Therefore I didn't see any noticeable difference between the drive's performance when attached to a USB 2 or 3 port, simply because even the USB2 bus can just about handle this drive's maximum speeds.

Therefore, I can't directly comment it's performance for USB 3. However, what I can say is this: PCI Express 2.0 x1, according to Wikipedia, has a bandwidth of 4GBps. Now, each USB 3 port is supposed to support 5GBps. Obviously we don't actually expect all our USB 3 devices to run at 5GBps, but there are four ports on the card. My point therefore, is that if you have four fast USB 3 devices attached, all sharing the PCI-E bandwidth, you can't hope for more than 1GBps each, (125MB/s), a fifth of USB3's claimed 5GBps. Therefore, if you're buying a PCI-E 2.0 x1 USB 3 card, maybe it makes more sense to get one with only two ports. This is what lost the product a star, but given the low price, I am still happy with my purchase: even if I can't get full USB 3 speeds on all the ports, I have still added four new fast USB ports at relatively low cost.

Note about hardware installation - initially had a little difficulty getting this into the case. It appeared to be too small to reach the back panel, but it turned out in fact that the bracket wasn't successfully sliding into it's slot in the case side. So when you're installing this, make sure the bracket slides in correctly (in the end I had to remove my graphics card to see what I was doing). Anyway, other USB 3 cards appear to have identical dimensions, so this isn't really the fault of this card, but just something to bear in mind.
on 8 August 2012
The card works just fine. I advise fitting the Molex power cable to the card BEFORE installing it.

A driver install disc is supplied - and needed. Just click on setup.exe if it doesn't autorun.

NB - Power cable is not supplied.
on 15 April 2012
I needed a USB 3.0 card for my external hdd but did not want to pay a lot for it. This is great value, I've done a speed test for you using this card and uploaded it
on 24 December 2012
I cannot prove that there was a technical issue with this PCI-E card but I can say that after using this for 5 days, two external hard drives and the dongle for my wireless keyboard ALL failed. The only thing they had in common was that they were all connected to this PCI-E card.

Coincidence? I personally doubt it. As soon as the card was removed, the problems stopped. These get good feedback so maybe I got a bad one. Bottom line is that I am MASSIVELY out of pocket.
on 19 January 2013
Bought one of these just before Xmas. Fitting was easy but the drivers were totally unstable on my Win7 64bit rig (blue screen of death when drivers loaded). The hardware may be ok but the poor quality drivers, manual & support makes this one to avoid - in my book.
on 26 January 2012
reached 3 times faster than that of USB 2.0. on my setup,easy installation,you need a Standard 4-pin power connector,up to press it works like a charm,and it is selling at a good price,all in all a good buy.

update
this Anker USB 3.0 PCI express card crapped out on me two months later would not work at all, went straight in the dustbin, have to drop it's rating. two stars only be cause it worked great until it died.
on 26 March 2013
I would recommend not to buy this product. It has problems with win7x64. I stopped working once, than i fixed the drivers. Now, it stopped working again but i am unable to fix it anymore.
on 13 December 2012
Hardware installation is simple. However, I can't get it work under Windows Vista 32-bit. Right away, the driver installation crashed. I tried several more times, same result. After disabling almost everything not necessary to be running on my PC and a series of manual uninstalls of whatever was installed by running setup.exe the first time and reboots, I got the drivers manually installed from the device manager by simply navigating to the driver location on the CD. However, it still doesn't work...none of the four ports will recognize my USB 3.0 external drive, not even in USB 2.0 mode. I've also tried two different sources of power through the molex connector on the card, even two different cables, but with the same result. Plugging the same drive, using the same cable, into any of my other USB 2.0 ports works fine. Additionally, when plugging the drive into any of the four ports, sometimes the light on the drive lights up blue, sometimes green. I'm assuming blue should mean USB 3.0, but regardless of the light color, the drive is simply not recognized by Windows. If the card/drivers are not compatible with certain motherboard chipsets (as I suspect), this should be documented somewhere.....which it is not. My motherboard is Asus Rampage Formula with Intel X48 chipset. Regardless of the other mostly positive reviews here, since it doesn't work for me and there are no incompatibility warnings, I have no choice but give it only one star. I'll update this review if I find out anything new.
on 17 November 2012
As others have said, this performs very well. You need to install the driver which comes on the enclosed disk. Worked first time on win7 for me. You will also need a power lead - I used this one to connect to a spare sata connector:

Akasa AK-CBPW03-15 SATA PSU Power to 4 Pin Molex Connector Adaptor

If you don't have SATA, you may have a spare molex connector lead from your PSU. At any rate, the PCB has a 4 pin molex female connector on board so that's what you need to connect to.
on 21 December 2013
USB 3 woes, I bought this product just because of the reviews and the Anker good reputation but this was not a good experience. I have two machines the I have built one has win7- 64bit and the win vista. I originally wanted the card in win 7 PC, that is where the problem started when the card was installed with the power connected to the card, the PC started fail on boot with bios beeping related to the graphic card. I tried various things to get the USB 3 card to settle and be compatible with the video card, but it just gave the PC an error messages with various issues. booting with no video, some bsod and failure to recover from a sleep mode when I did manage to boot into the win7. After 2 days of a valiant effort to get it to work I gave up and put it down to power drain on the PCI express bus which kept making the video card fail or interrupt clash.

I tried the card in my win vista PC. Again I had problems with the video card but this time the post screen graphics were distorted as if the video card was faulty, then I checked online for new drivers from Anker and also I noticed that the interrupt allocated for the USB card is the same as the video card so I changed the bios allocation to an higher free interrupt. Since then it's more stable. I would recommend buying the card if you are willing to experiment with the bios and use technical fork and knife to get it in to work with your existing video cards.

22-01-14 I still had the same issue with the Bios reporting error when booting sometimes. Since this review I have been in contact with "Sunnie" the excellent after sales team service from Anker, They approached me which was a great surprise as few companies don't. So after a few suggestions and offer of a replacement card, we both agree that this may not compatible with my graphics card ATI Saffire HD 4670 card so I was given a refund very promptly. They will take the info for their records to improve the products.

I have and will still buy products from Anker as they are good, in this case I was unlucky but hey you get this if your a PC builder.

\DB