Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Fitbit Learn more Shop now

on 28 April 2014
This comes with a warning in the front of the book stating that it may have typos due to the fact that the publishers let a piece of software translate it from the original german. It's not unreadable but is a far cry from a well published book that you might find in your local book shop. It is still entirely readable but I wish that I had been warned of this before purchasing.
on 11 March 2017
Received in good time, product as described. Highly recommend and will use again
on 21 December 2012
Having read this author back in the days at University, College and Grammar School i found it refreshing to cover old ground and renew my acquaintance with this profound author again.
on 14 August 2017
.. the monkeys who invented God will always be monkeys just as long as they believe in that God ..
on 24 September 2004
Subsequent to the original publication of 'Human All Too Human', Nietzsche published two fairly lengthy supplements, 'Assorted Opinions and Maxims' and 'The Wanderer and His Shadow'. All three were combined in 1886 to produce the second edition of 'Human All Too Human'. This (Penguin) edition is only the first edition. Look instead on Amazon for the Cambridge edition, also translated by Hollingdale, which is the second edition and is much longer (and not much more expensive either).
22 Comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 August 2012
This was my first experience of reading any origninal Nietzsche, my knowledge up until now was second hand. An interesting read and one can understand how some of the ideas must have been attractive to the Nazi's but this doesn't do justice to the ideas which need to be understood within context and not cherry picked. It has left me wanting to read more in order to give me a better understanding of his thinking as a whole.
on 16 November 2001
This is Nietzsche at his best. Dangerous, ferocious , cunning and ultimately devastating. Here Nietzsche bares his teeth at the world and rips apart covention but always, always with a demonic grin on his satirical face. 'Human all to Human - can any man create a title more apt? His criticism of humanity is so incisive and decisive that many may quail on reading this text. Yet let all you faint hearted people be assured that Nietzsche's intention was not ridicule, per se. He challenges all our concepts and forces us to question our behaviour and thoughts - both as individuals and as a society.
Nieztsche is, in this work, inherently contradictory but this is , as always, his aim. His view is that there are no such things as absolutes yet he openly asks us to question his own statement on the grounds that if this is the case then his ideas are themselves doubtfull.
Thus 'Human all to Human' is a book of tremendous power and one that gives a novice, as well as the expert, more than a litte to dwell on.
on 16 November 2001
on 2 January 2007
Whether you ultimately agree or disagree with Nietzsche at the end of his book you will have read one of the most cutting and persuasive arguments for the fallibility of man ever published.

Human all too Human certainly isn't The 7 Habits of Highly effective People, or How to Win friends and Influence People, but it is an infinitely more richly rewarding and brutally honest book than that any of the white lies and generic plagiarised so called `truths' to be found in those works and others of their ilk.

In essence I believe it is actually a positive work, although having read it through over a period of time it does have the tendency to flavour one slightly negatively towards other people and maybe even oneself at times. In hindsight I'd recommend dipping into it regularly rather than wolfing it down in one go, and definitely don't touch if you're feeling a bit down on yourself or the World at that point in time. Metaphorically speaking, a strong stomach is required! But, in the same way as looking in a bright mirror can spur us sometimes to change some aspect of our appearance we find distasteful, this book can inspire. To me the message is `Know yourself and your nature and rise above it to become a free and clear-eyed spirit rather than a bound and blind one'. Far from the Nihilist he is sometimes incorrectly if understandably (to those who read him lazily) painted as having been, Nietzsche was a man who encouraged others to reach their potential ( `become what you are') even if it meant they first had to face themselves honestly.

This book is written with more honesty and white hot wit than any other book on human nature I have read to date and it will fascinate and disturb you if you take your time and read it sincerely. I lost count of how many annotations I made in my now well worn copy, or as I put the book down and just thought about what I'd read as it sunk in like a arrow shot from the page.

Walter Kaufmann (who wrote arguably, the best book on Nietzsche's views) said he loved Nietzsche's books although he didn't always agree with his outlooks. This is more or less how I felt after this wonderful. Nietzsche makes you think. This is maybe his greatest gift to those who choose to read his books. It's worth remembering that Nietszche suffered much both physically and psychologically and arguably did not always have a lot of love in his life beyond a small circle of friends. So, don't skip the introduction and let the editors of this terrific Penguins Classics edition position this work for you in context of the man himself and the time of his life it was written in. It will make it all the more valuable and enjoyable.
on 19 September 2011
Without putting my own slant and interpretation of this work down as something that will cloud your own judgement of it, I'll just say that it is mind-blowing. As a piece of intellectual capital it is invaluable.

I enjoy reading philosophy purely out of my own curiosity. Every book opens up a new way of looking at the world and another avenue to explore. This book, however, is the one that has so far had the greatest impact. There is a lot of misinformation out there about Nietzsche; so much so that I approached this book already holding a fair bit of skepticism about it. All that was blown away within half an hour of reading.

I can't see anyone thoughtful disliking this book: it is enlightening rather than a strict code; and it is also, for that reason, a little dark, in that it tells us what we perhaps don't want to know about ourselves, or at least admit. He's one of those people who's thinking has a deep effect on you - or me, certainly. You may find yourself taking a long drive just to get your head around and be accepting of some of his ideas, which I believe for some will have the potential to be life-changing.

This is fantastic, a must buy if you've come far enough to read this.