on 25 February 2012
I really enjoy the fact that I can blast Nightwish throughout the house while my children are playing nearby: no dirty nasty lyrics, no swearing. And yet 210% Awesome all the way! Somehow Nightwish manages to create an album that lacks absolutely nothing ~ while avoiding the use of dirty lyrics which just cheapen a song to no end.

Oh, and there is more:

Originally I was put off by this CD because the whole "Dark Carnival" thing struck me as overdone and just plain boring.

BUT I decided to get over my irritation and I actually listened to the CD a few times. WOWZA! This is when I discovered that **once again** Nightwish has nailed it with their amazing voices, fantastic guitars ~ all set against the backdrop of an orchestra and choir, some of the songs inter-woven with superior celtic or Arabian music. My dislike of the "dark carnival" quickly changed to respect for a band that can take a tired theme and re-create it in ways I never anticipated. I began to like the songs, then my like morphed into sheer adoration and I have listened to this album a dozen times already ~ I don't plan to stop any time soon!

The music MOVES and so do the lyrics: Nightwish seems to have mastered the art of rocking you from the inside out, somehow plugging straight in to your emotions and your own inner energy. I always walk away from their music feeling as if I have just returned from experiencing them live in my house!

Also, with this set, CD #2 is just plain magnificent. What a bonus! No words, just the raw music and choir bits. Perfect for those creative times when I want to paint or draw or write and I don't want the lyrics to get in my head.

I am not a big fan of the early Nightwish, pre-orchestra. It strikes me as tinny and cheesy. But I absolutely LOVE this album ("Imaginaerum") and also "Dark Passion Play."

Keep it up, Nightwish! You are amazing!! GIVE US MORE!! :-))
on 28 November 2017
Out of all Nightwish albums this is the one that I had the greatest problem connecting with. Maybe having appreciated the vocal qualities of Tarja and Floor so much, Anette's lack of range did not help. BUT and it is a REALLY BIG BUT, the accompanying CD without the lyrics is without question one of the biggest surprises I have had listening to music. Tuomas's talent as a composer and arranger shines brightly through. You could almost imagine sitting in the Royal Albert Hall listening to a Promenade concert.
on 24 May 2017
A great album from Nightwish. The 2nd one featuring Annette Olzon, and much better than Dark Passion Play was. Turn Loose the Mermaids is the most gorgeously haunting track of the album, but there is not a bad track on it. The bonus instrumental disc is sublime. Worth adding to anyone's collection.
on 5 December 2015
An absolutely wonderful collection of music that is - in my opinion - the best so far from Nightwish, (although I still have their very latest album to listen to).
A great mixture of poignantly melodic, hard rock, and an excellent combination in between. If you only ever get a chance to listen to one compilation from Nightwish, for goodness sake, make it this one.
A sign of even better things to come?
on 2 December 2015
Nightwish are awesome. This is one of their later albums in which you find the full London Philharmonic Orchestra and choir belting out in support of the band. If you like rock, metal, opera and classical this is for you. This album has a strong element of circus, stage and Victorian side show curiosity. I particularly like listening to 'Scaretale' and 'Arabesque' back to back; the variation of the musical styles, tempo changes, key changes are a delight. 'Last ride of the day' is another track worthy of note. Just make sure you play it loud and imagine all those musicians in your living room, kitchen, car....
on 7 July 2016
fantastic band only found out about them has a friend tould me about them,am very satisfied with the cd and will be getting some more in the future,dont be put of by them being different try them
on 27 January 2017
This may not be Nightwish's best ever album because I believe that is ONCE , this follows on from their last album which I believe while not at strong as ONCE or Dark Passion Play is well worth looking into, so.........LOOK INTO IT!
on 23 March 2015
Apart from the slightly annoying long spoken section at the end this is something of a master work - full of variety and strong melody / musicianship.
on 8 July 2015
First couple of songs are Great ....rest is rather dragging and too operatic to my liking . It's still a good album and am not shooting it down in any way , Nightwish are a great band . Their Landmark album still remains "Once" .
on 13 January 2017