Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.44

on 3 February 2012
The Hungering Saga Complete comprises the first three novels by Heath Pfaff: The Noble Fool, The Vengeful Malice and The Snow Song.

To tell too much about the story in these books would be a great spoiler, since much of the joy of the first book is in the strange, slightly terrifying and engrossing secrets that unfold. However a short description can be found on the author's site:

"A man is not great because he is a good man. A great man can be good, evil, or any shade of gray in between. A great man is a man who sees the world around him, and changes it to suit him, instead of letting it change him to suit itself. Lowin Fenly didn't want to be a hero, and he never thought of being a villain, but sometimes the path that must be walked by great men leads to dark places. Body twisted by dark magic, the scribe-turned-Knight must learn to control the beast he is becoming, or risk losing the few remnants of humanity he clings to."

The book is certainly rather different from most fantasy around at the moment: and a refreshing difference. These books kept me page turning, with their well-developed characters and fascinating ideas. The pacing of this novel is one of its strengths: there are no dull chapters to slog through in the middle of the book, as befalls so many novels in the genre, everything is neat and tight without feeling rushed. The action sequences, of which there are plenty, are written masterfully - they stand with the best.

I can only highly recommend giving this series a try. Although the fantasy market is flooded, and there's a lot of very mediocre work around, this story stands apart from the pack and truly feels like something new and exciting. Don't hesitate to give it a try!
THE HUNGERING SAGA COMPLETE Heath Pfaff (Kindle Edition)

I confess that I do not read a lot of high fantasy sagas these days and have kept only a few favourite authors on my book shelf but having just finished reading the complete `Song of Ice and Fire' books published this far, I was of a mind to sample some of the new independent authors who abound on Kindle and this was one of the downloads that I made.

This is not one book but a tale in three volumes. The storyline précis has already been discussed by others and so I shall not repeat it here except to say that not only is the story in three parts but the same division seems also to apply to the enthusiasm and quality of the writing. The saga is perhaps rather like the `Curate's Egg' - good in parts; the first volume is very good, the story quite unique, a totally different twist on the beast-man theme, with a good story development even if the characters are a bit weak. Unfortunately some way into the second part the writing falls apart, there is no substantial character development, the storyline is still strong but the writing style deteriorates and the dialogue in particular at points becomes almost juvenile. It is as though the author has become so absorbed with telling the story that the final two volumes have been hurried to the finale. I was rather left with the impression that the story had originally been targeted at the teenage/young adult demographic and only the first section revised for adult reading.

I did like the story, the premise and pace were good and I believe that the author has a lot of potential but could perhaps benefit from the advice of the professional fiction editor if he is to continue writing for the adult market. If the writing quality had been as good as the storyline this would have rated five stars.

The Kindle Edition: Very few editing issues but some silly spelling errors. 4/5
on 29 July 2012
I bought the Hungering Saga based on the only 2 reviews it had.. both 5 star. Those reviewers were spot on! This is an excellent trilogy of books with a novel twist in the fantasy world. Good engaging characters, twists and turns in the plot, very compelling reading. I simply say you must get this!!!!
on 6 June 2013
I don't often review things on Amazon, but after reading this trilogy I decided to break my silence. I'll try and keep this short.

As other people have already said, Heath Pfaff has a very punchy way of writing. There were very few places where I felt the urge to skip briefly over text in order to reach the next bit. Like Robin Hobb (I'm making this reference in a positive light!) Pfaff has written the entire trilogy from one person's point of view - this allows for continuity - you really do feel as though you've lived Lowin's life.

There were things that reminded me strongly of other fictional works and ideas in this series, and before I list them, I'd like to point out that far from diluting the originality of the work, the ideas enhanced them. I don't know whether Heath has was inspired by or read any of the following, but it is my hope that the list will persuade potential fans:

- Claymore, the anime.

The regeneration, speed, strength and adaptation exhibited by all Knights of Ethan pointed me straight towards Claymore. The constant threat of Fell Beast dominating over Lowin's humanity alluded towards the lure of 'Awakening' that all Claymore's suffered. Also, their pariah nature and coloured eyes. If you've never seen the Claymore, watching a quick YouTube search will bring up a host of video reviews. While I'm here, I don't think the regenerative properties of the Knights of Ethan is a cop-out or a tag-on. It may become mundane, as all novel things tend to become, but is integrated tightly into the story-line. Besides, not all Knights are equal in power and this makes the whole thing more believable.

- Wormholes (warp gates, teleportation gates etc.)

I'm trying to communicate something much more than 'telportation is used in science and fantasy'. Heath Pfaff has a really refreshing way of marrying science and the magic system in The Hungering universe. Without spoiling too much, he actually talks in quite clear terms about energy being equivalent to mass. Myself being a physics graduate who studied Einstein's theory of Relativity, this was not lost on me. Magic is used heavily in The Hungering universe, but not lazily, not as a crutch and this is one reason why I like Pfaff's creation so much.

- Blue Gender, the anime. The concept of The Hungering reminded me strongly of the Blue. In fact, the ideology of Blue Gender seems to be similar to Pfaff's creation. I won't spoil either works for you, but Blue Gender is available to watch for free on Youtube in the UK.

The series is not without its faults, but I will not degrade my rating from 5 stars. You feel personally involved with all the characters. At times, I raised my eyebrows some when things seemed to happen 'just so' or some plot device seemed to be there out of necessity. I will even concede that the ideas that Heath uses are not that original, but at the end of the day, I just wanted to know what was going to happen next. The skill with which he tied these ideas was great and I can only hope he gets better at this as he writes more.

I believe a book is great when it is so gripping that you can't put it down. Pfaff's creation passes this test easily. I look forward to future works of greater calibre from him.
on 21 May 2012
Well put together (with a few minor typos, which mar an otherwise well written trilogy) with strong character development and a novel premise on which the three books are based. Enjoyable page turner that had me keen for more the whole way through.
on 25 February 2015
An amazing series in one.

I've always been a massive fan of the genre since I can remember. I think my first fantasy books were the Enid Blyton books - The Faraway Tree and the Wishing Chair.

However over the last few years or so I have struggled to maintain my interest in the genre and have started numerous books only to be unable to finish the series.

NOW..... I am a believer again. This series is very well written and there is barely a page where something isn't happening.

I did find myself frustrated with the lead character at times with his inability to deal with things before they escalated, however this is true of life and created even more depth to Lowin.

The lead characters are detailed enough to get understand them and feel for them. When things happen you will feel the joy or pain.

The series handles the characters perspective on things very well. Is there any difference between good and bad, dark and light, the lead and it's nemesis????

Like some other reviewers, I found the 3rd book a little harder to get through, however it is still strong.

Book 1 - Incredible, Book 2 - Fantastic, Book 3 - Good. I think book three loses itself a little in the middle but starts to bring it back near the end.

Finding it hard to write much more without spoiling anything.

But if you're looking for a well written book of good length to get stuck into then this is it.
VINE VOICEon 30 July 2012
I rarely write a review on kindle books as they tend to be somewhere between hit and miss. In this case it was entirely a hit and i've struggled to put the phone down since i started it. The author has managed to build a clever and unusual world, some way away from generic fantasy, with some very strong characterisation focused on the lead rather than a scattering of characters.

The storyline is excellent and runs along smoothly leaving you wanting more by the end of each book. There are passing similarities to very few other fantasy works - possibly hints of David Farland but I much prefer this author - which leaves you nice and refreshed as even though i do enjoy tried and trusted fantasy it is nice to read something with fresh ideas.

Very, very good trilogy and i'm adding him to my must have for his next set!
on 23 July 2013
I enjoyed most of the first book, but it drifted downwards after that. It was not what I was really expecting, and I never got round to finishing the final book. There was no sense of world outside of these two or three main characters and the story towards the end is not very engaging. Perhaps the most important part is that I didn't care about the main character.

It's something different, and was interesting to a degree, and I enjoyed the first book. But as a whole - no thanks.

If you're into werewolves or similar things than you might enjoy it more than me.
on 21 May 2013
This book was one that I read very quickly and it was good enough to keep me reading but it does have its short comings. The concepts are good, the world is well realised and the majority of characters are believable. In fact the character I had most problems with was the hero. Even when he realised that things were wrong he frequently did nothing about it and just let events occur with no questioning. This doesn't completely ruin the story but it does mean that it lost a star and I'm unlikely to read it again.
on 1 January 2015
I really enjoyed all books in the set, and found myself completely engrossed in the story. I read a lot of fantasy books and found this to be a new take. The characters are interesting and I did care what happened to them.
The only area of the book I found odd was the sex scenes if they can call them that, they felt like they were being described by a 13 year old boy who wasn't very comfortable with the language or the actual process.
Other than that it was a good read.