on 26 April 2017
The Artist isn't just a film, it's a cinematic experience. Oh yes, my first silent film and I enjoyed this immensely. The feel good factor, the classy production values and the close attention to the small details. It's got it all. Dujardin and Bejo were great at capturing that classic Hollywood feel, and Uggie was one talented dog! Silent acting is difficult, having to portray all your emotions physically just from the face and they did such a grand job. I loved the musical score, really elevated the experience and was fitting for each scene. I adored the fact that some scenes actually included sound effects, was just genius. My only gripe, is that the second third was slightly uneven in pacing. But I can safely say this film has opened my eyes to the world of silent movies.
on 16 October 2016
Good, simple story filmed in 2011 but mainly as a silent black and white film, to look like the films of the 1920s, the period in which the story is set, although it was filmed with modern technology.

The film is slightly speeded up to suggest the look of early silent films, although not as much as they would have been then, due to the limited number of frames per second that cameras of the earlier twentieth century could record.

‘The Artist’ is about a silent movie star who helps an unknown young actress to begin her career, only to see her become rich and famous while he is ruined when he cannot adapt to the new medium of films with sound. The story ends on a happier note.

In the quite interesting and extensive DVD extras (mostly in colour and with sound!) the leading actors look very different when not made up as their characters.

‘The Artist’ received many awards, including Oscars. This may owe a little to the film industry liking films about itself. I give it 4 stars rather than 5.

Even so, I did care about the characters and found making a black and white, silent film in the modern era an interesting choice partly because it is such an unusual thing to do. It is unlikely to have many imitators, but, just now and then, it works.
on 12 January 2017
A very moving and original film, played brilliantly by all concerned, more especially the two lead actors, Jean Dujardin and Bérénice Bejo, and
accompanied by amazingly original music by Ludovic Bource. Well done! I saw it for the first time on a flight back to the UK from the Far East last November (2016) and having lost my earphones in the dark, watched it without sound. On buying the DVD and watching the film again at home, I realise that there is no sound....except the music....until the very end of the film, when the talkies finally make their debut! If you haven't seen this film, you should, would be my recommendation, especially for those considering what gifts to give their beloved as a Valentine's present.
on 21 January 2015
A unique piece of film making that creates a nostalgia for black and white cinema. After I had watched it I had a distinct yearning to watch more of the old black and white silent movies - although I doubt many of them could be as good as this one.

Has a number of funny moments - the dog became a star for a while after the film, and also plays some games with the fact that the artist is a star of the silent movie era.

It is about a star of the silent period of film making who has to confront the epoch changing event of the birth of the talkies. Although the main character has some desperate moments, it is primarily a comedy.
on 2 March 2013
I have just watched this film on rental and was so bowled over that I have now ordered a copy from Amazon. The film was recommended a while ago by my son and I have only just got around to watching it. The first 15 minutes were slightly underwhelming and I had the feeling that this was not going to be to my taste. I persevered as it had been spoken of so highly. I am so glad I did. As the film went on I forgot it was silent, was enchanted by the moving story and totally impressed by the brilliant acting. It made me smile in many places and on occasion I had a lump in my throat. Having recently been to the cinema to see both Django Unchained (brilliant!) and Les Miserables (overrated) I can honestly say that this film was as good as either of them. There are very few films I would watch more than once and this is one of them! If you are tired of the multi million pound blockbusters that become a tiresome stream of special effects with no story then watch this !
on 20 January 2015
I heard and read so many rave reviews for this film when it first came out. Funny thing, though, I hadn't got round to rent it on DVD or even watch it when it premiered on Digital Terrestrial TV - except to record in order to watch later on. Christmas just gone and I decided it was time to play the film ... and no wonder the film won so many awards, including Oscars! What a well made, well crafted work of art! As for Uggie ... that little dog stole my heart as well as the show! Immediately, I bought the DVD to watch it as often as I want. Brilliant!
on 12 August 2013
SPOILER ALERT I was expecting to have my socks blown off by this multi-award winning film. Verdict? Entertained but a bit disappointed. The film is very clever and certainly unique but worth all the awards? Hmm may be not.

I found the middle section a bit over long and I didn't really understand the pivotal feature of the plot that silent movie stars couldn't adapt to the Brave New World of talkies. How come? Did he have a voice like Donald Duck? Sadly we shall never know.

So an entertaining family-friendly movie but nothing too special. Five stars for the dog though ...
on 12 February 2013
This was the most wonderful. adorable fim I have seen for very many years. I am not QUITE old enough to remember silent Movies, but my recollection of thirties musicals and dramas seen, during childhood, remain strong.

Apart from nostalgia, acting, music, photography, oh.,I don't know, the whole caboodle, gave me more pleasure than I could have hoped for. One tiny criticism: having got hold of Malcolm McDowell, coudn't he have been given a little bit more to do. Never mind. Many thanks to all involved for giving an old man so much pleasure.
on 13 February 2018
A brilliantly acted and genuinely insightful exploration of film's transition from the silent movie era to the talkies.
on 30 March 2013
When this first came to my notice I thought, How boring seeing a silent movie, so I didn't bother. How the hell did it win all those Oscars? Thank goodness I was eventually forced to watch it with family as it is absolutely wonderful. It's not totally without sound but I can't go into it too deeply or I'll spoil it for you. Very funny and heart rending it's got the lot and ceratinly deserved those Oscars and Baftas. Watch it or regret it.