Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 23 June 2017
I LIKE OLD BRIT FILMS VERY GOOD STORY REMEMBER WHATCHING IT YEARS AGO
on 6 March 2017
fast delivery, great fun comedy
on 27 March 2017
clasic british comady well worth watching
on 7 April 2017
brilliant fim thanks
on 27 January 2012
A lovely perfect crisp and sharp DVD transfer of this relatively obscure 1962 comedy, in excellent colour and widescreen.

It's a gentle, typically British comedy concerning a trio of bumbling, likeable crooks who decide to use a fire engine as their perfect get away vehicle! Sounds completely daft I know, but it somehow seems plausible in the context of this story. A great cast is featured with a host of familiar faces, Robert Morley, Daniel Massey, Dennis Price, Norman Rossington, and a very young Maggie Smith. Derek Nimmo appears amusingly in a cameo role as an agitated young man whose flat has been flooded and who foolishly enlists the aid of our heroes to pump out the water! Coral Browne is her usual camp self as the proprietress of an ailing fashion house which ultimately serves as a base for the bank robbery.

The film also has some very interesting London location filming, showing both the Hammersmith Flyover and the Barbican estate during the course of construction, and the period touch I always like to see, trolleybus wires over the streets in the opening scenes! Many of the exterior shots were obviously filmed on a large studio set, which I'm pretty sure was the same one used for Cliff Richard's "The Young Ones" made the same year. It looked very familiar to me.

I can't really recall any other comedy having this theme, apart from Will Hay's 1939 "Where's that fire?", not on DVD unfortunately. Another film I can recommend without reservation, 100% entertaining and nostalgia for all of us of the very highest quality.
11 Comment| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 December 2011
This film is one of my childhood favourites and I have been waiting a long time for its release on DVD as I keep missing it whenever it is on TV, Although the DVD is not released as yet and I cannot comment on the features of that etc, The film is excellent with comic performances from all involved especially a young Maggie Smith, Robert Morley is excellent as always along with all the other cast. definitely a worthwhile film and I am hoping my kids will enjoy it just as much as me.
on 30 March 2013
This is another British gem, a comedy from the early sixties, with a cast of pure talent from the period. rarely shown on television, there will be some people who are unaware of this film, and just how good it it.

After a failed smash and grab on a jewellery shop, three crooks, played by Dave King, Norman Rossington and Daniel Massey, are sent to prison. Whilst on the way, in a black maria, they realize everything stops for a fire engine, after a traffic jam builds up to let a fire engine through. After their release, They promptly set about 'acquiring' one, and start planning their perfect robbery.

This is British comedy at it's best, and portrays the early sixties well, with lots of the film being shot on real locations outdoors.

I bought this film with a little trepidation, in the fact that Amazon's product description describes the ratio as being 1.85:1, I already knew that this film was filmed in 2.35:1. Fear not, the film has been transferred in it's correct ratio, so ignore the Amazon review, it's wrong.

Picture Quality is also good. It was filmed in colour, and the colours are good.
Overall, no complaints about this film. Buy this film and you won't be disappointed.
Enjoy this film for what it is, British comedy at it's best.
The soundtrack is in it's original mono.

Highly recommended.
on 17 October 2012
I showed this film many years ago when I used to work as a projectionist at the Odeon cinema in Chelsea London, at that time I found it very funny and it has remained in my memmory ever since.
So when I saw it was now on dvd I just had to buy a copy, and yes it is still very funny if a little dated now but I certainly enjoyed watching it again after all these years. Well worth a watch.
on 27 December 2011
I have to agree with everything Chris says, have also been waiting a long time for it's release. This very good film has rarely been on tv and to my knowledge not for many years. A Fire Engine may not be the best getaway vehicle after all.
on 15 August 2013
Was glad to buy this on dvd saw it years ago on tv and had a copy on vhs but sadly with the adverts in, real good fun to watch and the fire engine supermarket!!! where are those appliances now i wonder