on 15 May 2018
Loved it. The book was not in good condition. But who cares! I was after the story. The early books in this series are not easy to get cheaply. I was grateful to get it. I thought I'd already reviewed it but maybe not.
on 5 January 2016
I have discovered Simon Brett! A wonderful writer of cosy murder mystery. This book introduces you to the character, Mrs Pargeter, widow turned sleuth. The only thing that was a little frustrating was how long it took for the book to arrive, which was a number of weeks. However once it arrived I thoroughly enjoyed it.
One person found this helpful
on 21 April 2012
Mrs Pargeter buys a house on a small estate but becomes concerned about the fate of the previous owners.
Quite pleasant murder mystery (written around 30yrs ago) but,I felt, rather unconvincing. Reasonably priced on Kindle , but beware! - the following books in the series are more expensive yet no different in content!
3 people found this helpful
on 5 April 2013
I had tried the first Mrs Pargeter book and thought I would give the next one a go. The second is much better than the first, Mrs Pargeter develops a bit as a character and her late husband's business acquaintances add some colour to the book. The plot has a rather obvious flaw in it but this does not deter from its enjoyment.As ever, the writing is witty and lucid.
on 28 May 2017
I enjoyed this book, second in series and in my opinion better but I was rather distracted by the fact that one of the characters names kept changing from Sue Curie to Sue Curle throughout the book, once she was referred to by both names differently four times on one page!
on 26 March 2011
Excellent murder mystery.It starts with a murder in a house in Smithy's Loam
a development of six executive homes. And guess who is just about to move
into the very house, yes Mrs. Pargeter. I found this hard to put down.
Simon Brett at his best.
6 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
Full of good characters. Good plot. The wonderful Mrs Pargeter, her late husband and his book of contacts. What did he do to make his contacts so willing to help Mrs P out?
on 12 March 2013
Don't bother - short, boring and obvious. There is little more to say - if this is your first Mrs Pargeter it will almost certainly be your last. If you have read others, then you will be sick to death of the late Mr Pargeter by now. All in all, a waste of time.
on 10 October 2017
excellent
on 2 February 2014
Simon Brett is a superb author and the Mrs Pargeter is a wonderful character. The books tell a good tale, are funny and make excellent entertainment.
2 people found this helpful